PDA

View Full Version : Thought experiment DS sorcerer with other Spell lists

Spiritchaser
2018-10-15, 02:32 PM
This is very hypothetical but:

Would you consider switching out the divine soul sorcerer’s access to clerical spells for access to the list of any other long rest full caster?

Let’s presume for the moment that the first level bonus spell can be thematically swapped for something appropriate from each list.

I’m primarily interested in metamagic interactions with other spells...

Full disclosure, I just might be fishing for ideas relevant to a discussion about the relative suitability of the sorcerer spell list for sorcerers, but starting here would be appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Garfunion
2018-10-15, 03:48 PM
This is very hypothetical but:

Would you consider switching out the divine soul sourcerer’s access to clerical spells for access to the list of any other long rest full caster?

Let’s presume for the moment that the first level bonus spell can be thematically swapped for something appropriate from each list.

I’m primarily interested in metamagic interactions with other spells...

Full disclosure, I just might be fishing for ideas relevant to a discussion about the relative suitability of the sorcerer spell list for sorcerers, but starting here would be appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts!

When it comes to metamagic interactions, don’t worry about it. Three levels of sorcerer allows any class to use metamagic on their spells. Metamagic is not restricted on sorcerer spells only.
So if you create a Feywild Bloodline allowing sorcerer to learn Druid spells. This would be no different than a 20th level character with 17 Druid levels and 3 sorcerer levels.

8wGremlin
2018-10-16, 02:23 AM
I’ve looked and started a thread like this a while ago. I’ll try and dig it up.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-16, 01:16 PM
With the fluff of the sorcerer, they really should have taken after the 3e sorcerer.

"A sorcerer’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however."

Allowing any sorcerer to pick from any spell list, so long as they roleplay it much like how a wizard adds to their spell book outside of level up, would have been a great way to off set the limited spells known.

Magical Secrets would be a baby version of this, but perhaps magical secrets should have been a charisma-caster feature in some way?

Anyways... My groups have allowed the sorcerer to cherry pick spell lists and people have loved it. Especially new players who want the sorcerer casting niche spells.

Spiritchaser
2018-10-16, 01:44 PM
Have you discovered any particularly strong synergies between metamagic and spells from other lists?

Millface
2018-10-16, 01:46 PM
I'd allow it. I can't think of any list that's more powerful than giving the Sorcerer cleric spells with metamagic.

If we've already got Divine Soul, homebrewing for any other Class spell list isn't going to break the game by any means. DS is silly strong.

Tanarii
2018-10-16, 03:35 PM
When it comes to metamagic interactions, don’t worry about it. Three levels of sorcerer allows any class to use metamagic on their spells. Metamagic is not restricted on sorcerer spells only.
Multiclassing is optional.

Not everyone wants to balance their house rules around it. Since none of the rest of the game is.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-16, 08:32 PM
Have you discovered any particularly strong synergies between metamagic and spells from other lists?

Druid.

The druid spell list has some pretty good spells in it for a Sorcerer.

Careful Fearie Fire.

Subtle Goodberry (note: make sure you have sleight of hand training)

Distant Snare (lots of fun, just remember a creature needs to move into the area, couples well with an ally that can shove)

Heighten Heat Metal or Quicken Heat Metal

Quicken or Subtle Spike Growth. Subtle Spike growth is hilarious as (please have sleight of hand) you stick your hands in your pockets and you can be all like "omg someone is attacking me! guards help!". Just don't move of course.

Quicken or Subtle Call Lightning

Subtle Grasping Vine.

Extend (insert any summoning spells... You have proficiency in concentration saves...)

Bones of the Earth is a hilarious spell. Heighten, Subtle, Quicken... Dang this spell is amazing for multiple reasons.

I can go on and on about how great the Druid list is on the Sorcerer.

Garfunion
2018-10-16, 08:58 PM
Druid.

The druid spell list has some pretty good spells in it for a Sorcerer.

Careful Fearie Fire.

Subtle Goodberry (note: make sure you have sleight of hand training)

Distant Snare (lots of fun, just remember a creature needs to move into the area, couples well with an ally that can shove)

Heighten Heat Metal or Quicken Heat Metal

Quicken or Subtle Spike Growth. Subtle Spike growth is hilarious as (please have sleight of hand) you stick your hands in your pockets and you can be all like "omg someone is attacking me! guards help!". Just don't move of course.

Quicken or Subtle Call Lightning

Subtle Grasping Vine.

Extend (insert any summoning spells... You have proficiency in concentration saves...)

Bones of the Earth is a hilarious spell. Heighten, Subtle, Quicken... Dang this spell is amazing for multiple reasons.

I can go on and on about how great the Druid list is on the Sorcerer. These are nice interactions but not game breaking. A high level Druid could pick up 3 levels of Sorcerer to get metamagic.

Multiclassing is optional.

Not everyone wants to balance their house rules around it. Since none of the rest of the game is. The developer do their best to insure that the game is balanced around multiclassing. Which is why there are only a few game breaking combos in 5th edition. Most of those are feat interactions.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-16, 09:12 PM
These are nice interactions but not game breaking. A high level Druid could pick up 3 levels of Sorcerer to get metamagic.

High Level druid is giving up their level 18 feature for 3 SP? Archdruids already gain free subtle on their spells, beast mode or not.

Being able to replicate a level 18-20 feature way early is no small feat.

Garfunion
2018-10-16, 09:55 PM
High Level druid is giving up their level 18 feature for 3 SP? Archdruids already gain free subtle on their spells, beast mode or not.

Being able to replicate a level 18-20 feature way early is no small feat.
3sp that they can sacrifice spell slots to get back. Not to mention a land Druid can recover spell slots.

A sorcerer taking 2-3 levels of warlock can replicate their capstone. I looked a some of the sorcerer’s 18th level archetype abilities, some of those can be replicated by spells.

So nothing is really game breaking. I’m sure the developers are working on an archetype to allow sorcerers access to Druid spells.

Beside, I never look beyond level 15. The chances of playing a game that far is slim. For me.

samcifer
2018-10-16, 10:10 PM
A while back I came up with a druid subclass of sorcerer that gave them access to the druid spell list, but not many people liked it.