PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A catapult spell and projectile size

stoutstien
2018-10-15, 04:45 PM
when used at the first lv it can target an object up to 5 pounds. cool, no problem here but i just noticed that there isn't a lower limit. example: a sorcerer using subtle spell targets a stalk of hay and if it hits a a target with it causing 3d8 damage. should there be a minimum object weight to effectually cause damage?

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-15, 05:00 PM
I mean, it IS magical. Even if you threw a weapon, it'd still do the same 3d8 damage. Magic Stone is kinda similar. A barbarian, ninja, lich or a commoner throwing a magic stone the size of your nail-palm does the same damage, but it still needs to be thrown. Why?

Because magic.

If you want, you could houserule that it has to be an item that's possible to be an improvised weapon (like a rock, piece of wood, etc.) but what's the benefit for doing that?

DeTess
2018-10-15, 05:03 PM
when used at the first lv it can target an object up to 5 pounds. cool, no problem here but i just noticed that there isn't a lower limit. example: a sorcerer using subtle spell targets a stalk of hay and if it hits a a target with it causing 3d8 damage. should there be a minimum object weight to effectually cause damage?

Please think of the cat-girls!

Or if you don't, please keep in mind that a heavy object or a light object accelerated by the same force X will transfer the same amount of kinetic energy to an object they hit, assuming a friction-less vacuum and infinitely stiff objects.

Joe the Rat
2018-10-15, 07:32 PM
Use the feather dart (or Tuxedo Mask) test:

Is a feather quill first (or a single rose stem) doing significant damage cool or stupid? If it's cool, run with it. If it's stupid, put a 1/10 pound bottom limit, or require a rigid object.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-10-15, 08:50 PM
Damage from a thrown object will be a factor of mass and velocity. Larger items are hurled at a slower speed then small ones Thus the damage evens out.

BoxANT
2018-10-15, 10:05 PM
if you look at the spell listed in Xanathar's Guide to Everything:

CATAPULT

"Choose an object weighing 1 to 5 pounds within range that isn't being worn or carried..."

R.Shackleford
2018-10-15, 10:21 PM
if you look at the spell listed in Xanathar's Guide to Everything:

CATAPULT

"Choose an object weighing 1 to 5 pounds within range that isn't being worn or carried..."

Everyone forgets the weight limit. Weight, for the most part, will factor into size.

I loved yelling "BOOT TO THE FACE" whenever I used catapult to fling boots.

EvilAnagram
2018-10-15, 10:50 PM
Honestly, the lower limit doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that so few people seem to realize how exploitable this spell is. Sure, it let's you kill a man with his grandmother's urn, but it also makes any encounter in which you're fighting over a macguffin much more dynamic. Just keep punting it further away from your enemies.

R.Shackleford
2018-10-15, 11:12 PM
Honestly, the lower limit doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that so few people seem to realize how exploitable this spell is. Sure, it let's you kill a man with his grandmother's urn, but it also makes any encounter in which you're fighting over a macguffin much more dynamic. Just keep punting it further away from your enemies.

The item doesn't just cause one creature to make a save or be hit. Every creature in line would need to save unless someone in front of them failed. This includes allies.