PDA

View Full Version : My Hexblade, Fighter, Swashbuckler Character at level 5 and beyond

Amano666
2018-10-15, 08:51 PM
Greetings fellow adventurers,

I am hoping to get some advice about a character I am working out as a replacement for Iago the Kenku death cleric who met an untimely end. Have I misunderstood something? Am I right about the damage? Could I pick better skills? Is the rest of the party attacking twice/casting 3rd level spells going to totally overshadow me? What classes should I advance next/how can I get some ASIs?

RP: a smuggler pirate with a heart of gold, han solo/sir davos/captain ron

Vhuman with the Dual Wielder feat

Str:8
Dex:14
Con:15 +1
Int:8
Wis:10
Cha:15 +1

Saves: Str + Con
Skills: Athletics/Perception (sailor), Insight/Acrobatics(fighter), Stealth (vhuman), Persuasion (rogue)
*expertise? which two would you pick?

I have five levels to work with and was going to go with

1 Fighter (two weapon fighting style)
1 Hexblade (booming blade, hex, hexblade curse)
3 Swashbuckler (fancy footwork, rakish audacity)

Armor: Breastplate 14+2 dex+1(feat) 17

Going for max damage on something like a boss so the fight will take a while, assuming everything hits and sneak conditions are met, nothing crits, and able to cast booming blade:

Damage 1st round: Min = 10, Avg = 22, Max = 34
Cast Hexblade curse as a bonus action and close into melee range: 1d8 rapier + 3 cha + 2d6 sneak + 1d8 booming blade + 3 hexblade

Damage 2nd round: Min = 11, Avg = 25.5, Max = 40
Cast Hex as a bonus action and attack: 1d8 rapier + 3 cha + 1d6 hex + 2d6 sneak + 1d8 booming blade + 3 hexblade

Damage 3rd+ round: Min =19, Avg =39.5 , Max = 60
Attack main hand: 1d8 rapier + 3 cha + 1d6 hex + 2d6 sneak + 1d8 booming blade +3 hexblade
Attack off hand: 1d8 rapier + 3 cha + 1d6 hex + 3 hexblade

Basic idea in most fights is to move in, hit with booming blade, and then move back out hoping for 2d8 more booming blade damage but I didn't figure that into the calculation above.

Future Plans:
Get to 20 Charisma ASAP
Take at least one more level in rogue, then some more fighter (2-6? total for action surge/two attacks/ASIs) and warlock (2-5? total invocations, 2 spells per short rest, thirsting blade?) but I am conflicted about which to take first and how much of each vs stuff from rogue like evasion, uncanny dodge.
Two attacks is tempting but either way it is going to come late :smallsmile:

what do you think?

CTurbo
2018-10-15, 09:39 PM
Sounds a little over complicated. I'd go Fighter OR Hexblade. Probably not both. The TWF style contradicts Booming Blade as you can NOT use your off hand attack with it. Dueling or Defense would be better and saves you a feat.

Amano666
2018-10-15, 09:57 PM
Sounds a little over complicated. I'd go Fighter OR Hexblade. Probably not both. The TWF style contradicts Booming Blade as you can use your off hand attack with it. Dueling or Defense would be better and saves you a feat.

Ah man, I didn't think about not getting a second attack with the offhand when casting booming blade, im casting a spell not taking the "attack action", oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks for the sanity check!