PDA

View Full Version : CR Question

Yogibear41
2018-10-16, 02:46 AM
If I put a +2 CR template on a CR 1/2 creature, does the creatures CR become 2 or 3? To my knowledge everything rounds down in DND unless specified. Just checking.

Gryphonfg
2018-10-16, 04:14 PM
I haven't seen any specific ruling on that, but yes, in general you round down.

Goaty14
2018-10-16, 04:52 PM
It becomes CR 2.5

Thurbane
2018-10-16, 04:55 PM
It becomes CR 2.5

There is no such thing that I am aware of. Once you get over CR 1, there are only whole number CRs. There's no way to calculate XP for a theoretical CR 2.5.

I'm in agreement with Gryphonfg: CR 2.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-10-16, 06:34 PM
I'd generally agree as a matter of common sense, and perhaps it's true in general. But cf. the entry for Half-Dragon:

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature + 2 (minimum 3).

EDIT: After double-checking, this looks like it might actually be a spelled out exception to the more general rule. There are few core templates with static CR modifiers, but I don't see any other minima listed among them.

tiercel
2018-10-16, 06:35 PM
I’m inclined to agree with Gryphonfg and Thurbane, with the added caveat of, well, let’s look at what the final stats of this “CR 2” creature look like compared to other possible CR 2 challenges.

If the template is really that much more powerful than the entire base creature, you could either be looking at a crazy ability on an unassuming-looking base, or you might have Phenomenal Cosmic (low-level) Power on a creature that has 3 hp and is defeated by a single Magic Missile.

Any CR should be taken with a grain shaker of salt anyway, and doubleplus anytime abilities are mixed and matched — much less when a template’s power putatively far exceeds that of its base creature.

HouseRules
2018-10-16, 07:35 PM
First Convert to Integer CR values.
2/3 = 3/4 = 0
1/2 = -1
1/3 = 3/8 = -2
1/4 = -3
1/6 = 3/16 = -4
1/8 = -5
Then Convert back to Fractional if it is still a negative value.
Remember that 2^3 = 3^2 = 6 levels in D&D.

Godskook
2018-10-16, 07:52 PM
I....wow, ok. The right answer is to not look at the relevant RAW and to instead read page 302 of the Monster Manual, which covers evaluating CR of a "new" creature. And the basic advice given there is to compare it to pre-existing monsters that you think are appropriately CR'ed. Evaluate combat-type, evaluate stats, and attempt to evaluate the creature's CR such that it'd consume ~20%-25% of the party's resources when used at that CR.

This board has proven too many times that just take WotC's power assessments at face value is absolutely ridiculous. It's why we have a tier list and that damn crab.

HouseRules
2018-10-16, 08:00 PM
By RAW, in Gestalt
Magical Creatures (saving throws) CR -2
Mundane Creatures CR -1
Very UnBalanced! Magical Creatures have their Challenge Rating dropped more than Mundane Creatures beacuse players are assumed to have all good saving throws in a Gestalt Game!