PDA

View Full Version : Warlock: multiclassing & spell slots

Ranikirn.
2018-10-16, 06:31 AM
Simple question: a warlock multiclassed into another spellcaster class (like wizard or ranger ) regain all spell slots after a short rest as explained in the Spellcasting section?

sophontteks
2018-10-16, 06:41 AM
Spellcasting and pact magic are two seperate things that do not combine with multiclassing.

samcifer
2018-10-16, 06:41 AM
Simple question: a warlock multiclassed into another spellcaster class (like wizard or ranger ) regain all spell slots after a short rest as explained in the Spellcasting section?

they only regain the Warlock slots. Warlocks are weird when it comes to spellcasting because they gain slots differently than other classes and their slots function differently from other casters. Note that warlock levels do not count towards spell slot progression in other classes the way all other casting classes do.

For example, A level 10 character who has two levels of warlock and 8 levels of bard will have 6 level 1 slots (2 warlock ones and 4 bard ones), 3 each for levels 2 and 3 and 2 level 4 slots. If they take a third level of warlock at level 11, their slots become 4 lv 1 slots, 5 level 2 slots (2 warlock and 3 bard), 3 level 3 slots and 2 level 4 slots.

You can use either warlock slots or the other class's slots to cast any spells you wish, but only the warlock slots refresh on a short rest. The slots for the other class(es) will only refresh after a long rest.

Many warlock players multiclass for more slots to use and to gain other slots (unless going for a coffeelock).

Citan
2018-10-16, 06:45 AM
Hi!
Actually, the Warlock's spellcasting is completely aside from everyone else.
So you don't count Warlock's levels when defining your "multiclass spellcaster level", and only Warlock slots are recharged after a short rest.

Simple example : Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 1: you get 2*1st level "long-rest" slots (from Sorcerer), and 2*2nd level "short-rest" slots from Warlock.

Advanced example: Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 5 / Eldricht Knight 5 / Ancients Paladin 7
- easy first: Warlock is put aside, so you'll have a specific resource, 2*2nd level short rest slots.
- you have to combine the remaining classes to determine spellcaster level.
* Sorcerer is full caster, so 1 Sorcerer = 1 "multiclass spellcaster level". So here, 5
* Eldricht Knight is "third-caster", so you count 1 step for every group of three levels in Fighter: here, Fighter 5 = (1*3)+2. So only 1 "multiclass spellcaster level".
* Paladin is half-caster, so you count 1 step for every pair of levels reached. Here, Paladin 7 = (3*2)+1. So 3 "multiclass spellcaster level".

Your "multiclass caster level" is thus 5+1+3 = 9.
So besides the autonomous short-rest slots, you get 4*1 + 3*2 + 3*3 + 3*4 + 1*5 slots that will only recharge on a long rest.

Hope that clears up things for you. :)

iTreeby
2018-10-16, 06:46 AM
Pact magic is not the same thing as spellcasting when you short rest, you get your pact magic slots back.

Sigreid
2018-10-16, 07:06 AM
Man, if taking levels in warlock let you recharge all your spell slots on a short rest a warlock 1 or 2/ wizard x would be ungodly.

DarkKnightJin
2018-10-16, 07:17 AM
Practical example: My Eldritch Knight 4/Warlock 1 has 3 Spellcasting slots, and 1 Pact Magic slot.
The Spellcasting slots return on a long rest only, and the Pact Magic slot returns after a short rest.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have a spell slot that refreshes on a short rest with a chassis that's mostly short rest focused as well.
Short rest Shield spells are amazingly useful on a Full Plate wearing character with a shield.
As in, most enemies tend to need a natural 20 to even hit me if I will it. At least, about once per fight with how we're able to grab a short rest for hit dice after most fights.

Ranikirn.
2018-10-18, 08:26 AM
they only regain the Warlock slots. Warlocks are weird when it comes to spellcasting because they gain slots differently than other classes and their slots function differently from other casters. Note that warlock levels do not count towards spell slot progression in other classes the way all other casting classes do.

For example, A level 10 character who has two levels of warlock and 8 levels of bard will have 6 level 1 slots (2 warlock ones and 4 bard ones), 3 each for levels 2 and 3 and 2 level 4 slots. If they take a third level of warlock at level 11, their slots become 4 lv 1 slots, 5 level 2 slots (2 warlock and 3 bard), 3 level 3 slots and 2 level 4 slots.

You can use either warlock slots or the other class's slots to cast any spells you wish, but only the warlock slots refresh on a short rest. The slots for the other class(es) will only refresh after a long rest.

Many warlock players multiclass for more slots to use and to gain other slots (unless going for a coffeelock).

Hi!
Actually, the Warlock's spellcasting is completely aside from everyone else.
So you don't count Warlock's levels when defining your "multiclass spellcaster level", and only Warlock slots are recharged after a short rest.

Simple example : Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 1: you get 2*1st level "long-rest" slots (from Sorcerer), and 2*2nd level "short-rest" slots from Warlock.

Advanced example: Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 5 / Eldricht Knight 5 / Ancients Paladin 7
- easy first: Warlock is put aside, so you'll have a specific resource, 2*2nd level short rest slots.
- you have to combine the remaining classes to determine spellcaster level.
* Sorcerer is full caster, so 1 Sorcerer = 1 "multiclass spellcaster level". So here, 5
* Eldricht Knight is "third-caster", so you count 1 step for every group of three levels in Fighter: here, Fighter 5 = (1*3)+2. So only 1 "multiclass spellcaster level".
* Paladin is half-caster, so you count 1 step for every pair of levels reached. Here, Paladin 7 = (3*2)+1. So 3 "multiclass spellcaster level".

Your "multiclass caster level" is thus 5+1+3 = 9.
So besides the autonomous short-rest slots, you get 4*1 + 3*2 + 3*3 + 3*4 + 1*5 slots that will only recharge on a long rest.

Hope that clears up things for you. :)

Damn. I did it wrong so. Im a 6 level ranger and 4 level warlock, so i have 6 level 1 slots and 4 level 2. Until now i followed the table in the Multiclass Chapter at page 165 PHB :smallfrown:
shame on me

samcifer
2018-10-18, 10:08 AM
Damn. I did it wrong so. Im a 6 level ranger and 4 level warlock, so i have 6 level 1 slots and 4 level 2. Until now i followed the table in the Multiclass Chapter at page 165 PHB :smallfrown:
shame on me

You should only have 3 lv. 2 slots because only level 1 gets 4 slots. Levels 2 thru 5 get a max of 3 slots each, 6 and 7 each get a max of 2 slots, and 8 and 9 only get 1 slot each and that's only at at level 20 and only if you stay as a single-class full caster or mix levels between 2 full casting classes like Cleric and druid or bard and sorcerer.

When multiclassing as a warlock and another class, such as ranger, calculate the other class's spell slots as if you only had those levels in that class, then add the spell slots for your warlock level to that for your total. Warlock slots can give you more slots than the normal maximum. For example, a warlock 2/sorcerer 3 gets: 6 lv 1 slots and 2 lv. 2 slots.

In your case, you should have 4 level 1 slots and 4 lv. 2 slots (2 for ranger and 2 for warlock).

sophontteks
2018-10-18, 05:35 PM
shame on me
Next to a table it shows how much a class counts towards a level on that table. Warlocks levels don't count as any levels on the table.

iTreeby
2018-10-18, 11:08 PM
Well you can at least use your warlock slots to cast Ranger spells and recover your two warlock slots on a short rest. So much spike growth! It combos well with repelling blast on your eldrich blast. Out of curiosity what spells did you pick for warlock and Ranger spells known?

Ranikirn.
2018-10-20, 12:41 PM
You should only have 3 lv. 2 slots because only level 1 gets 4 slots. Levels 2 thru 5 get a max of 3 slots each, 6 and 7 each get a max of 2 slots, and 8 and 9 only get 1 slot each and that's only at at level 20 and only if you stay as a single-class full caster or mix levels between 2 full casting classes like Cleric and druid or bard and sorcerer.

When multiclassing as a warlock and another class, such as ranger, calculate the other class's spell slots as if you only had those levels in that class, then add the spell slots for your warlock level to that for your total. Warlock slots can give you more slots than the normal maximum. For example, a warlock 2/sorcerer 3 gets: 6 lv 1 slots and 2 lv. 2 slots.

In your case, you should have 4 level 1 slots and 4 lv. 2 slots (2 for ranger and 2 for warlock).

Why 4? At level 6 ranger has 4 lvl 1 slots plus 2 lvl 1 warlock slots, so six. Right?

Well you can at least use your warlock slots to cast Ranger spells and recover your two warlock slots on a short rest. So much spike growth! It combos well with repelling blast on your eldrich blast. Out of curiosity what spells did you pick for warlock and Ranger spells known?
Ye it's a good strategy. Answering ur question: from the ranger (gloom stalker) i've fog cloud, hunter's mark, zephyr strike and absorb elements. From the warlock i've branding smite, misty step, mirror image, protection from evil and good and hex.

Tanarii
2018-10-20, 02:17 PM
Why 4? At level 6 ranger has 4 lvl 1 slots plus 2 lvl 1 warlock slots, so six. Right?Ranger 6, warlock 4, total class level 10?

Slots (can be used to cast any spell known, Ranger or Warlock)
long rest recharge: 4x level 1, 2x level 2 (from Ranger 6)
Short rest recharge: 2x level 2 (from Warlock 4)

Total spells known:
4 Ranger (up to 3 2nd level due to retraining)
5 Warlock (up to 4 2nd level due to retraining)

Slots in a typical 2x short rest adventuring day:
4x level 1, 8x level 2