PDA

View Full Version : Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LibraryOgre
2018-10-16, 08:42 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder.

If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here.
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread regarding it.
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here.
If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff and X stat to Y bonus are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than Pathfinder (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been recently answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play Pathfinder? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large for PC races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

The previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505656-Simple-RAW-for-Pathfinder-Thread-V-Golarion-Strikes-Back) can be found here.

Please start over with the numbering.

heavyfuel
2018-10-16, 09:58 AM
Unanswered from previous thread

Q 1

Regarding the Nightmare Dread's "Martial Terror" class feature

If both a Maneuver and a Terror allow for a Saving Throw, which takes place first, if any?

For example, initiating Ravaging Blow while channeling Overwhelming Fear, the order would be:

A) Target makes a Will save vs Ravaging Blow and then a Fort save vs Overwhelming Fear
B) Target makes a Fort save vs Overwhelming Fear and then a Will save vs Ravaging Blow
C) Target makes both saves at the same time, without any order of priority

Elkad
2018-10-17, 04:51 PM
Q2

Does PF have Feats (or another way to get the same effect) similar to Swift Hunter, Sacred Outlaw, etc - to keep some class abilities up to par while multiclassing?

Q2b - is there a list somewhere?

TheFamilarRaven
2018-10-17, 05:33 PM
A2: Yes. Boon companion allows you to treat your animal companion as 4 levels higher up to your effective character level. Prestigious Spellcaster restores lost spell casting ability due to prestige classes. Just as some examples.

A2 b: Unfortunately, none that I could find.

ezekielraiden
2018-10-17, 05:42 PM
Q2

Does PF have Feats (or another way to get the same effect) similar to Swift Hunter, Sacred Outlaw, etc - to keep some class abilities up to par while multiclassing?

Q2b - is there a list somewhere?

A2 (partial)
While I don't know if there are such feats in general, there's a pair of feats that enormously reduces the pain of taking PrCs that lose one or more levels of spellcasting: Favored Prestige Class (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/favored-prestige-class/) and Prestigious Spellcaster (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/prestigious-spellcaster/). The former is a prerequisite for the latter, and Prestigious Spellcaster is often quite worth spending 2 feats to get--think of all those 3.5e PrCs that had fun abilities, but were unwise picks because they lost too many caster levels. That said, there is at least one such feat in official PF stuff: Shapeshifting Hunter (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/shapeshifting-hunter/), which makes Ranger and Druid mutually stack specifically for Wild Shape uses and when you get Favored Enemy advances. There seem to be several third-party feats of a similar nature as well. I don't think there's an official compiled list of such things.

Boggartbae
2018-10-18, 09:48 PM
Q3

does All-Consuming Swing (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/all-consuming-swing-combat/) stack with the Cleaving Smash Weapon Trick (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-trick-combat/) for tripple vital strike damage?

Calthropstu
2018-10-20, 09:27 AM
Unanswered from previous thread

Q 1

Regarding the Nightmare Dread's "Martial Terror" class feature

If both a Maneuver and a Terror allow for a Saving Throw, which takes place first, if any?

For example, initiating Ravaging Blow while channeling Overwhelming Fear, the order would be:

A) Target makes a Will save vs Ravaging Blow and then a Fort save vs Overwhelming Fear
B) Target makes a Fort save vs Overwhelming Fear and then a Will save vs Ravaging Blow
C) Target makes both saves at the same time, without any order of priority

A1: I see no ruling either way in either of those abilities, and I see no "order of operations" in the CRB regarding saving throws. So the answer is "GM Call."

Q3

does All-Consuming Swing (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/all-consuming-swing-combat/) stack with the Cleaving Smash Weapon Trick (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-trick-combat/) for tripple vital strike damage?

A3: No. Both use virtually the same the same wording. Since you're already using vital strike, you cannot apply the same feat to the same attack more than once. Even if it did, it would be double not triple.

kkplx
2018-10-21, 03:26 PM
Q4

Bleed Damage.
How does it work? According to the rules, a creature currently bleeding takes said bleed damage at the start of its turn.

a) However, the attack inflicting bleed deals "bleed damage". Is this actual damage added to the attack, or simply the "stacks" of bleed it applies to a target?
b) IF it does add to the damage inflicted by the attack, can it crit and does that crit (double "bleed" damage) carry over to the periodic damage inflicted?

Some examples of bleed sources:
- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/wounding
- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/blood-beak-combat-tengu
- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/bloodletting-kukri

frogglesmash
2018-10-23, 05:23 AM
Q5
Can familiars gain retroactive skill points from Int increases?

Q6
Can familiars capable of speech use your ranks in linguistics to learn new languages, and if so, does this mean raven familiars can learn new languages via the aforementioned method?

Calthropstu
2018-10-23, 09:50 AM
Q4

Bleed Damage.
How does it work? According to the rules, a creature currently bleeding takes said bleed damage at the start of its turn.

a) However, the attack inflicting bleed deals "bleed damage". Is this actual damage added to the attack, or simply the "stacks" of bleed it applies to a target?
b) IF it does add to the damage inflicted by the attack, can it crit and does that crit (double "bleed" damage) carry over to the periodic damage inflicted?

Some examples of bleed sources:
- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/wounding
- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/blood-beak-combat-tengu
- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/bloodletting-kukri
A4: Bleed takes place at the beginning of your turn, not on the attack itself. Bleed does not stack with itself. If multiple bleed sources deal damage, the worst is applied, unless the bleed deals different type of damage in which case it can be concurrent. As such, bleed cannot crit.

Q5
Can familiars gain retroactive skill points from Int increases?

Q6
Can familiars capable of speech use your ranks in linguistics to learn new languages, and if so, does this mean raven familiars can learn new languages via the aforementioned method?
A5: Yes. The rules for increasing intelligence apply to all equally.

A6: Familiars capable of speech use YOUR ranks in linguistics gaining YOUR languages. They could in theory take ranks in linguistics and be able to speak languages you don't know, but since it uses either your linguistics or its linguistics (not both) I feel like a gm would be well within their rights to state "No."

TiaC
2018-10-27, 03:31 PM
Q7
Does Gift of Consumption (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/hexes/common-hexes/gift-of-consumption-su/) work with harmless spells?

ezekielraiden
2018-10-27, 05:28 PM
Q7
Does Gift of Consumption (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/hexes/common-hexes/gift-of-consumption-su/) work with harmless spells?

A7
By RAW, it doesn't have to be a harmful spell, though you might want to check FAQ and such. But I'm genuinely curious what harmless spells require a Fortitude save, that would be worth it.

TiaC
2018-10-27, 05:57 PM
A7
By RAW, it doesn't have to be a harmful spell, though you might want to check FAQ and such. But I'm genuinely curious what harmless spells require a Fortitude save, that would be worth it.

There's a number of buffs that would be worthwhile to get double effect. It's already a decent hex without getting double effect from Resist Energy, Deathless, Strong Jaw, Legendary Proportions, Lightning Lash, and a few others.

ezekielraiden
2018-10-27, 07:01 PM
There's a number of buffs that would be worthwhile to get double effect. It's already a decent hex without getting double effect from Resist Energy, Deathless, Strong Jaw, Legendary Proportions, Lightning Lash, and a few others.

This would be why I don't generally give any answer I'm not really sure of. I just...why would anyone ever roll to *resist* Protection from Energy? (I can in fact envision a scenario but like...it's both contrived and requires IMO abusive metagame thinking).

But yeah I am fairly convinced the RAI differs from the very narrowly read RAW here. The only possible quibble could be the use of the word "requires." You aren't required to resist a buff, and in fact you rarely even elect to. So that word could imply that the spell definitely must MAKE you roll a Fort save, as opposed to simply offering the option to do so.

Kish
2018-10-28, 10:52 PM
This would be why I don't generally give any answer I'm not really sure of. I just...why would anyone ever roll to *resist* Protection from Energy? (I can in fact envision a scenario but like...it's both contrived and requires IMO abusive metagame thinking).

But yeah I am fairly convinced the RAI differs from the very narrowly read RAW here. The only possible quibble could be the use of the word "requires." You aren't required to resist a buff, and in fact you rarely even elect to. So that word could imply that the spell definitely must MAKE you roll a Fort save, as opposed to simply offering the option to do so.
That would make it work on no spells; you can always voluntarily fail a saving throw, even if it would obviously be a really bad idea.

(I concur that RAI is that Gift of Consumption is meant as a curse, not a buff duplicator.)

Sir_Chivalry
2018-10-29, 09:27 AM
Q8 I've seen it mentioned in various places that a buckler can be used as an improvised weapon. I know it cannot itself be used to shield bash but does this "common knowledge" have any basis in the rules?

Psyren
2018-10-29, 09:48 AM
A7: Harmless spells by definition don't require a save, so the curse wouldn't work on them.

(harmless)

The spell is usually beneficial, not harmful, but a targeted creature can attempt a saving throw if it desires.

A8: This is a consequence of the fact that, unlike light and heavy shields, bucklers aren't on the weapons table. Anything not there (or there but having the improvised quality) can only be an improvised weapon if you try to attack with it.

ezekielraiden
2018-10-29, 02:02 PM
Psyren has the gist (and rules text) of what I meant. Harmless effects do not demand a saving throw, they merely permit one if the target feels like making one. You don't get that kind of choice with (say) fireball or ghoul touch.

It's the difference between not taking an optional thing, and intentionally failing a required thing. You have to opt into a save vs. harmless effects, but you are permitted to do so. You cannot, even if you want to, opt out of saving vs. a non-harmless spell, but you can decide to just auto-fail it without bothering to roll; mechanically you've still done the requisite act either way, and thus effects which trigger from you needing to make a save or from failing a save would still trigger. Since the curse clearly uses the word "requires" rather than "allows," harmless effects would appear to be excluded, even in a very narrow RAW reading.

unseenmage
2018-10-29, 02:33 PM
Q9

The Shadow Conjuration spell can create an illusory creature independent of its ability to copy summon spells.

When a non-summoned creature is made by shadow conjuration when does the conjured creature act?

Psyren
2018-10-29, 04:41 PM
A9 clarification: what specific spell are you duplicating to make that creature, if not a summoning spell of some kind? A creation spell?

unseenmage
2018-10-29, 05:18 PM
A9 clarification: what specific spell are you duplicating to make that creature, if not a summoning spell of some kind? A creation spell?

Not duplicating any spell. Shadow conjuration itself says it can create quasi real etc of "one or more creatures, objects, or force" right there in the first paragraph.

Then in the third paragraph it details the effects of duplicating a creature.

Psyren
2018-10-29, 05:37 PM
The second sentence depicts specifically how it does this though - by duplicating a Conjuration (summoning) or Conjuration (creation) spell. It's not carte blanche to create your own spell or mimic something outside those parameters.

Given that we read it fundamentally differently, this one might require a separate thread.

unseenmage
2018-10-29, 07:33 PM
The second sentence depicts specifically how it does this though - by duplicating a Conjuration (summoning) or Conjuration (creation) spell. It's not carte blanche to create your own spell or mimic something outside those parameters.

Given that we read it fundamentally differently, this one might require a separate thread.

Viola. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572458-PF-When-do-Shadow-Conjured-creatures-act) Actually asked the question after the thread was already made.

Fenryr
2018-11-04, 01:48 PM
Q10

Ally is unconscuous/helpless on the floor. I want to move such ally during a combat.

a) I must roll CMB for Drag/Reposition/Bullrush, correct?
b) The ally has a 0 Dex, that means a -5 to CMD but Str, BAB, Deflection and so on still affect the CMD, right?

Elvensilver
2018-11-06, 06:24 AM
Q11:
When a let's say CG-Charakter uses a scroll of Raise Dead, made by a LE-Charakter, the still-dead gets notice of the aligmnent of the person who tries to raise him, but in this case is it CG or LE?

Q12:
Can a Rogue/Monk make a combined flurry of blows & sneak attack?

Petrukio
2018-11-06, 04:03 PM
Q12: Can a Rogue/Monk make a combined flurry of blows & sneak attack?

A12: Yes, so long as the opponent is subject to sneak attack on every attack (is flanked and does not have Improved Uncanny Dodge or the equivalent, or otherwise denied Dex bonus). This is not necessarily always the case - if the sneak attacking monk was invisible (not greater invisible) before he attacked, he'd only get sneak attack on the first attack, all other things being equal.

The only real reason why this might not happen is if there was a conflict in action type, but so long as the conditions allow it, this question is no different than 'can someone with multiple attacks sneak attack on all of them'? Flurry of Blows, like any multiple-attack action, is a full-attack action, and sneak attack does not have an action affixed to it.

Calthropstu
2018-11-09, 11:23 AM
Q11:
When a let's say CG-Charakter uses a scroll of Raise Dead, made by a LE-Charakter, the still-dead gets notice of the aligmnent of the person who tries to raise him, but in this case is it CG or LE?

Q12:
Can a Rogue/Monk make a combined flurry of blows & sneak attack?

A11: Despite my dislike of this, the rule is that the caster of the spell is the one reading the scroll. So in this case it would be CG. It uses the makers stats to determine effectiveness, but otherwise is directed and controlled by the reader, making him the caster.

ezekielraiden
2018-11-09, 07:49 PM
Q13
Can the off-hand end of a quarterstaff, which functions as a light weapon for enchantment purposes, be enchanted with the Dueling special feature?

Psyren
2018-11-10, 10:37 AM
A11: The parameters of the scroll are actually irrelevant. The rule is that the soul knows the name, deity and alignment of "the character attempting to revive it" - not "the caster."

A12 addendum: Instead of being a rogue/monk, you could go for an archetype like Monk of the Mantis that gets both without sacrificing monk abilities. You can combine this with features like VMC Rogue or the Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat for even more damage.

A13: A Quarterstaff can't be Finessed normally, even if you use it TWF-style, so no.

Griffin
2018-11-10, 03:56 PM
Q14

If I grapple a invisible enemy and I roll succesfully agaisnt concealment, on the next round provided he/she/it didnt break my grapple, do I have to roll vs concealment again after I sucess fully mantain my grapple?

Draconi Redfir
2018-11-11, 03:21 AM
Q:15

I'm about to take Improved Eldritch Heritage (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-eldritch-heritage/) to get the "Serpentfreind" bloodline power of the Serpentine Bloodline (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/serpentine-bloodline/)

One small thing i noticed however.

Serpentfriend (Ex): At 3rd level, you can use speak with animals at will with reptilian animals (including various forms of dinosaurs, lizards, and other cold-blooded creatures), and you gain a viper familiar using your sorcerer level –2 as your effective wizard level.

So the viper acts as "Sorcerer lvl" -2 = "Wizard lvl for familiar"

And then

For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities.

So since i got this bloodline through the Eldritch Heritage feat line, "My current level (11)" -2 = "Sorcerer level"

Does this mean that as an 11th level adventurer, my familiar would have an effective wizard level of 11 - 4, so i have the Familiar of a 7th level wizard? Am i understanding that right?

@V Thank you!

ezekielraiden
2018-11-11, 03:34 AM
Q:15 <snip>
Does this mean that as an 11th level adventurer, my familiar would have an effective wizard level of 11 - 4, so i have the Familiar of a 7th level wizard? Am i understanding that right?

A15
Yes, you are understanding correctly. The normal power uses your effective wizard level, which is your sorcerer level -2. Your effective sorcerer level, because of Eldritch Heritage, is your character level -2. Therefore, accessed through the feat, your effective wizard level is (your character level -2) -2 = your character level -4.

ahyangyi
2018-11-11, 01:25 PM
Two questions about the archetype Planar Extremist.

Planar Aspect (Su): At 4th level, as a standard action, a planar extremist can gain the benefits of the bloodrager bloodline associated with her alignment (choosing from Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal), as if she were a bloodrager of her druid level. She can gain these benefits for 1 minute per druid level as if she were bloodraging (but she gains no other benefits or penalties of bloodrage) or until she dismisses it as a swift action; this duration need not be used consecutively but must be spent in 1-minute increments. She can use this ability an additional time per day at 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, for a total of five times per day at 18th level. At 20th level, a planar extremist can use planar aspect at will.

Q16A: So what is the total duration of bloodrage per day? 1 minute per druid level, or (1 minute per druid level) times (a total of five times)?

Q16B: As we know, a bloodline gives the following things: feats, spells and powers. What exactly does the Planar Extremist get, during his bloodrage-without-other-bloodrage-benefits?

ezekielraiden
2018-11-11, 06:20 PM
Two questions about the archetype Planar Extremist.

Q16A: So what is the total duration of bloodrage per day? 1 minute per druid level, or (1 minute per druid level) times (a total of five times)?

Q16B: As we know, a bloodline gives the following things: feats, spells and powers. What exactly does the Planar Extremist get, during his bloodrage-without-other-bloodrage-benefits?

A16
A: Looks like it should be the latter. It makes no sense to say that you can spend it non-consecutively if you can only do it once per day. It's awkwardly worded, but that seems to be the RAW.

B: "As if she were a bloodrager of her druid level." Pretty clear to me--you get every feature of the associated bloodline, up to your druid level, while the bloodrage is active. You just don't actually get the direct benefits/penalties of bloodrage itself (other than qualifying as being *in* bloodrage, I guess?)

Calthropstu
2018-11-11, 08:57 PM
A14: no, because you are not rolling to hit. The initial grapple needs to hit so concealment is an issue, but once the grapple is established there isn't a to hit roll but a maintain roll. Maintain is not sight based. If you fail to maintain or the target breaks the grapple, concealment again becomes an issue because you need to hit once again.

Psyren
2018-11-11, 09:31 PM
Note that Greater Eldritch Heritage negates the penalty. (The sorcerer penalty anyway - the "-2 wizard level" from the bloodline will stay.)

ezekielraiden
2018-11-14, 03:48 PM
Q17

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to check. If I have two weapons, one in each hand, but only attack with one weapon, do I take the two-weapon fighting penalty?

Psyren
2018-11-14, 04:15 PM
A17: You do not have to take the penalty as long as you're not trying to use the bonus TWF attack(s). You can even attack with both weapons if you want, so long as you're sticking to normal iteratives.

There's a FAQ response that goes into much more detail on this phenomenon found here. (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9onf)

SaveOrDye
2018-11-15, 04:00 AM
Q18

Incorporeal creatures have no Strength score, and use their Dexterity score for attacks. Does this mean they add their Dexterity to damage?

ezekielraiden
2018-11-15, 02:39 PM
Q18

Incorporeal creatures have no Strength score, and use their Dexterity score for attacks. Does this mean they add their Dexterity to damage?

provisional A18
Based on the wording, I say no.

An incorporeal creature ... has no Strength score, so its Dexterity modifier applies to its melee attacks, ranged attacks, and CMB.

If attack rolls were specified, we could definitely say no. It's not explicitly specified, so RAW is almost certainly no, but it may be RAI that Dex does apply (and it's just barely ambiguous enough to be readable that way even when the literal meaning doesn't say so).

Psyren
2018-11-15, 03:08 PM
A18: In the vast majority of cases no, because these creatures are using a magical (Su) ability of some kind to be able to attack corporeal targets. Being special abilities rather than standard weapons, they have defined damage entries, and do not inherit the regular damage bonuses (or penalties) that weapon attacks do, though other damage bonuses like sneak attack may still apply.

You may need a specific example here so we can determine what the total attack damage should be.

ezekielraiden
2018-11-16, 03:08 AM
Q19

For the purpose of wild shape, I'm a bit unclear as to what counts as "items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated." To give some examples, which of the following still works?
- Belt or headband of stats
- hat of disguise
- dusty rose prism ioun stone
- ring of protection
- ring of natural attunement (kami)

Psyren
2018-11-16, 02:31 PM
A19 Responses inline:

Q19

For the purpose of wild shape, I'm a bit unclear as to what counts as "items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated." To give some examples, which of the following still works?
- Belt or headband of stats Yes
- hat of disguise No
- dusty rose prism ioun stone Yes But
- ring of protection Yes
- ring of natural attunement (kami) Yes But

For the two "Yes But" items:

1) ioun stones don't take up a body slot, so the merging rule doesn't apply. (i.e. they'd still be orbiting around your head as a bear or squid etc.)

2) the ring of natural attunement has a passive and an active effect, you'd keep the former but lose access to the latter.

killem2
2018-11-17, 07:25 PM
Q20: for the purposes of determining at threatening Square is blinded the same as not being able to see from the smoke screen of pyrotechnics?

Draconi Redfir
2018-11-17, 08:09 PM
Q21: Clamor of the Heavens (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/bardic-masterpieces/masterpieces/clamor-of-the-heavens-percussion-sing) mentions a will save that can lessen some of the effects. But what kind of will save does it mean? A Will save of a 5th level spell since the Masterpice requires a 5th level spell to be sacrificed normally? Would the save DC be subject to any modifiers such as Spell Focus or traits or the like? (Probably not applicable to me since all my save DC bonuses are for mind-affecting spells, but still good to know.))

Petrukio
2018-11-17, 08:17 PM
Q20: for the purposes of determining at threatening Square is blinded the same as not being able to see from the smoke screen of pyrotechnics?

A20: No. When someone is blinded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Blinded), they take a -2 penalty to AC, lose their Dexterity bonus (triggering sneak attack), AND take a -4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks, and all opponents are considered to have total concealment. When under the smoke cloud of Pyrotechnics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/pyrotechnics), those within the 40-foot effect ONLY take the -4 to Strength- and Dexterity-based checks, and even those are negated if you save. If they were blinded, there would be no reason to say that. Think of it more as you're coughing and wheezing and your eyes are tearing up from the smoke - that fits the Fortitude-based save too.

Petrukio
2018-11-17, 08:28 PM
Q21: But what kind of will save does it mean? A Will save of a 5th level spell since the Masterpice requires a 5th level spell to be sacrificed normally? Would the save DC be subject to any modifiers such as Spell Focus or traits or the like? (Probably not applicable to me since all my save DC bonuses are for mind-affecting spells, but still good to know.))

A21: Unwilling creatures may attempt a Will save against the effect of a masterpiece; the save DC for masterpieces is equal to 10 + 1/2 the bard’s level + the bard’s Charisma bonus. Masterpieces that duplicate spells use the bard’s caster level for the spell’s caster level. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/bardic-masterpieces/) Since this doesn't duplicate a spell (or, at least, it doesn't SAY it does, which is what matters here), I doubt any such things would affect it.

killem2
2018-11-18, 12:55 AM
A20: No. When someone is blinded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Blinded), they take a -2 penalty to AC, lose their Dexterity bonus (triggering sneak attack), AND take a -4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks, and all opponents are considered to have total concealment. When under the smoke cloud of Pyrotechnics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/pyrotechnics), those within the 40-foot effect ONLY take the -4 to Strength- and Dexterity-based checks, and even those are negated if you save. If they were blinded, there would be no reason to say that. Think of it more as you're coughing and wheezing and your eyes are tearing up from the smoke - that fits the Fortitude-based save too.

RE: A.20 I think where I was getting lost is not blindness, that was probably not the best rule to ask about. I think this -smoke- is giving total concealment. (Since Darkvision doesn't even work). And according to total concealment rules:

Total Concealment
If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight, he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.

So would that be applicable?

Psyren
2018-11-18, 01:40 AM
A20 clarification: I'm not sure I understand your original question - are you asking what effect Pyrotechnics (either the "flashing lights" or the "smoke cloud" versions) would have on a creature's ability to threaten squares?

Petrukio
2018-11-18, 01:42 AM
RE: A.20 I think where I was getting lost is not blindness, that was probably not the best rule to ask about. I think this -smoke- is giving total concealment. (Since Darkvision doesn't even work).

<snip>

So would that be applicable?

I could see it both ways, but, in the end, I'd still say 'no.' You could say that it was something like Obscuring Mist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/o/obscuring-mist/), which would favor your argument somewhat, but it doesn't actually say that Darkvision does not work - it says it is ineffective, which means "not producing any significant or desired effect." Also, the other ability of Pyrotechnics, fireworks, does include text regarding both blindness and line of effect. That it says it and the smoke version does not leads me to thinking it doesn't apply. To follow up on the example I gave previously, if one were coughing, wheezing, and tearing up, you could still see a vague outline of someone some distance away from you, certainly well-enough to target them with an attack. So much the worse that if they are in your threatened area, or you in theirs.

Long story short, the way the text is written makes me think that adding additional difficulties (concealment, line of sight) in this instance of the usage of the spell is contraindicated.

Psyren
2018-11-18, 03:27 PM
A20: Being blind means you can't threaten squares unless you have another precise means of perception (e.g. blindsight or touchsight.) As for the smoke version, though it doesn't spell out "total concealment" it does say "all sight is ineffective in the cloud" which is pretty much the same thing per the concealment rules, so that would stop threatening too.

Calthropstu
2018-11-18, 09:23 PM
A18 Clarification:
Psyren is right in most cases, but there is at least one circumstance that will, in fact, trigger dex to damage. If a ghost, or other immaterial creature, picks up a weapon with the ghost touch ability they could use it in combat. In this case, they would use their dex instead of strength to calculate their "combat rolls." Damage could easily be interpreted as a combat roll.

thelastorphan
2018-11-25, 11:48 AM
Q22: Regarding Master Craftsman, is there any raw clarification on the phrase 'you must use this skill in the creation of the item." Does it mean that the base item must be crafted by the chosen skill? OR does it mean you must use the chosen skill in place of spellcraft when making an item magical? OR both?

Calthropstu
2018-11-26, 01:01 AM
Q22: Regarding Master Craftsman, is there any raw clarification on the phrase 'you must use this skill in the creation of the item." Does it mean that the base item must be crafted by the chosen skill? OR does it mean you must use the chosen skill in place of spellcraft when making an item magical? OR both?

A22:

Looking at the feat, it looks like it allows you to take the feats "craft magic arms and armor" and "craft wonderous item." When you make the magic item desired, you must use the skill you chose to qualify for the magic creation feats. Nothing else is said, so you don't have to craft the item yourself. In fact, it can be a profession. So you could qualify for this with profession sailor. You're such a good sailor, you can craft magical plate armor. For some reason.

Psyren
2018-11-26, 10:38 AM
A22 addendum: The idea is that you should take a profession or crafting skill that can be applied as broadly as possible to anything your character plans to make. Your GM gets the final say, but if you choose well then you shouldn't have any pushback from a reasonable one.

My personal favorite for this is "Profession: Soldier" (which is also explicitly on the Profession list) because that could reasonably apply to any weapon or armor and just about any combat-oriented wondrous item (offensive or defensive) as well. Engineer, Trapper, Tanner and Librarian are other solid choices to give you a range of items to craft. You're also free to come up with some that aren't on the list like Hunter or Drill Sergeant if your GM is okay with that.

kkplx
2018-11-27, 04:29 PM
Q23

You start your turn and begin to act. someone has readied an action, hits you and makes you bleed.
a) When do you take damage from the bleed the first time? right now, or at the start of your next turn?
b) If you then start casting, do you need to do a concentration check for the damage taken or the bleed, this round, assuming the attack wasn't in reaction to this spell being cast?

Calthropstu
2018-11-27, 10:08 PM
Q23

You start your turn and begin to act. someone has readied an action, hits you and makes you bleed.
a) When do you take damage from the bleed the first time? right now, or at the start of your next turn?
b) If you then start casting, do you need to do a concentration check for the damage taken or the bleed, this round, assuming the attack wasn't in reaction to this spell being cast?

A23: You take bleed damage at the start of your turn. Since the start of of your turn has already happened for this turn, you start taking bleed on your next turn.

ezekielraiden
2018-11-29, 05:41 AM
Q24
Quadruped animal companions cannot equip normal "belts," only saddles. Is there any precedent for giving them items that provide enhancement bonuses to physical stats?

Calthropstu
2018-11-29, 10:52 AM
Q24
Quadruped animal companions cannot equip normal "belts," only saddles. Is there any precedent for giving them items that provide enhancement bonuses to physical stats?

A24:
It knda gets into custom item rules, but there's no reason you can't have a "saddle of physical perfection" boosting all physicall stats assuming your gm allows it.

heavyfuel
2018-12-04, 11:06 AM
Q 25

The spell Sadomasochism states:

While subject to this spell, any time you are dealt damage, your attacker must roll damage for the attack twice and take the higher roll [...]. Each time you deal damage [...] you roll damage twice and take the higher result.

Am I correct to assume this means ANY damage? Weapon damage, Sneak Attack damage, Damage caused by Spells, Ability damage, etc?

Calthropstu
2018-12-05, 12:08 AM
Q 25

The spell Sadomasochism states:

Am I correct to assume this means ANY damage? Weapon damage, Sneak Attack damage, Damage caused by Spells, Ability damage, etc?

A25: Yes, any roll which there is an attacker. Note, this does not apply to ongoing damage such as bleed, being on fire etc.

However, it would apply to anything classified as damage from any form of attack.

Palanan
2018-12-07, 03:17 PM
Q 26 a

For a first-level druid with a wolf companion, the wolf’s BAB is listed as +1 and its Strength is 13. For the wolf’s bite attack, is the total attack modifier just +1, or does it also add its Strength modifier (for a melee attack) for a total of +2?

Q 26 b

If the same wolf’s Strength is magically enhanced to 17, would the increased Strength modifier apply to the BAB for a total of +4?

TheFamilarRaven
2018-12-07, 04:14 PM
A26 a: +2. A Druid's companion for the most part has the same statistics as the base animal. The attack modifier for a wolf's bite attack is +2 for a normal wolf, which is the same as its BaB plus strength modifier. As a Druid gains levelsn the BaB and strength of the wolf increases and will consequently increase the wolf's attack modifier.

A26 b: Yes. Increases to an animal companion's strength score increases their attack modifier accordingly.

TotallyNotEvil
2018-12-09, 10:46 AM
Q 27 A

Are you subject to the mechanics and limitations of winged flight if you are benefiting from a spell such as Flight of the Dragon or using an item such as Ring of Solar Wings?

Q 27 B

Either way, what are the limitations? I was never clear on how loads and armor interact with flight.

@edit: Sorry, wrong RAW thread.

Firest Kathon
2018-12-10, 04:59 AM
A 27a Yes, but see part b.

A 27b There is no general difference between flight with wings or without, although specific (magic) sources of flight may give additional benefits (or limitations, e.g. the fly spell prohibits taking the run action while flying). On the other hand, e.g. the hover (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/hover/) feat provides some of its benefits only when you have wings.

Considering armor and loads: medium and heavy armor and medium or heavy loads cause a reduction in speed and an Armor Check Penalty (on the fly skill) as usual. Mounts cannot fly (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/armor/#TOC-Barding) with medium or heavy barding (= armor).

Zhentarim
2018-12-10, 08:49 PM
Q28 Does dispel magic and/or and an antimagic field reverse the effects of baleful polymorph?

ezekielraiden
2018-12-10, 09:48 PM
Q28 Does dispel magic and/or and an antimagic field reverse the effects of baleful polymorph?

A 28 Yes, but be careful what you mean by "reverse."
Dispel magic would eliminate the baleful polymorph exactly like any other spell if the caster of the former succeeds on the dispel check. (Of course, I'm assuming the latter spell is actually getting dispelled; a regular dispel, AOE greater dispel, or insufficient CL greater dispel, might not hit it at all, if one/more higher-level spell(s) is dispelled first.) AMF suppresses all magical effects, so baleful polymorph would also be suppressed while the victim remains inside the AMF (and time spent inside it counts against the duration of the spell), but the spell would resume as normal for any remaining duration if the victim leaves the field (or if the field ends).

Petrukio
2018-12-10, 09:48 PM
A28: Yes in both cases, with a caveat. Baleful Polymorph has a duration of 'Permanent,' which flat-out says that it is vulnerable to Dispel Magic (CRB6 216 (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Duration)). Antimagic Field does not dispel ongoing magics within its area of effect (and a permanent magic IS ongoing), but it does suppress it. That would mean that the moment the subject leaves the area of the spell, the Baleful Polymorph reactivates.

Edit: I had to check to be sure on that. This would be the case for anything with a permanent duration. It would NOT be the case for a spell with an instantaneous duration. (Of course, the only polymorph-based spell that spell search finds with an instantaeous duration is the 5th level Half-blood Extraction (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/half-blood-extraction/) from the ARG.)

Zhentarim
2018-12-12, 12:11 AM
Q29 Can you waterproof spellbooks and scrolls?

ezekielraiden
2018-12-12, 05:05 AM
Q29 Can you waterproof spellbooks and scrolls?

A 29: Yes. A blessed book is inherently waterproof, and the spell book ward protects an object from all liquids for 1 day/level. Bit expensive for its effect early on, but at high level it's only a 2nd level spell slot once every 2+ weeks, that's not too shabby as long as you aren't carrying more than a few scrolls (or you could use a wand; 4500 is chump change for a high-level character and 3 days per charge means you could protect 10 scrolls for a month).

You might be able to persuade a DM to let you make a waterproof or boom ward spell permanent, or that some extra alchemical components (increasing the cost) could make a scroll waterproof.

Zhentarim
2018-12-12, 08:59 AM
A 29: Yes. A blessed book is inherently waterproof, and the spell book ward protects an object from all liquids for 1 day/level. Bit expensive for its effect early on, but at high level it's only a 2nd level spell slot once every 2+ weeks, that's not too shabby as long as you aren't carrying more than a few scrolls (or you could use a wand; 4500 is chump change for a high-level character and 3 days per charge means you could protect 10 scrolls for a month).

You might be able to persuade a DM to let you make a waterproof or boom ward spell permanent, or that some extra alchemical components (increasing the cost) could make a scroll waterproof.

I was asking since my character has the amphibious special quality and the river near the town we started in looks like a good hiding spot for a bunch of valuable scrolls.

Psyren
2018-12-14, 11:15 AM
A29 addendum: For short trips through water, a waterproof bag (UE) is 5sp. Your best bet for long-term aquatic storage is a portable hole, as the interface will be sealed off when the cloth is folded, allowing you to get it as wet as you want (e.g. in your pocket, or under a rock on the riverbed) without affecting the contents.

Recherché
2018-12-21, 03:20 AM
Q30: Can a paladin smite evil using an alchemical bomb and if so what happens to the splash damage?

Calthropstu
2018-12-21, 01:53 PM
Q30: Can a paladin smite evil using an alchemical bomb and if so what happens to the splash damage?

A30: Yes. It is an attack. The splash damage, however, is unaffected because the smite is targeted. You deal extra damage to THAT CREATURE.

Psyren
2018-12-21, 02:05 PM
A30a: Yes - bombs count as thrown splash weapons, so rules elements that work on those kinds of weapon attacks will work with them. This means yes to stuff like Smite and Judgement, and no to stuff like Sneak Attack or Studied Strike.

A30b: Splash damage would be unaffected, only the direct hit.

unseenmage
2018-12-24, 08:24 AM
Q 31
Would a Magic Trap (not a spell trap or a mechanical trap) that affected victims with Simulacrum do so immediately or after the lengthy (for combat anyway) casting time of Simulacrum?

Florian
2018-12-24, 04:51 PM
A31: There is no answer to that.

Draconi Redfir
2018-12-25, 05:20 PM
Q32: Is there any way (That you know of) to have Slings or sling-staffs use Strength for attack rolls instead of DEX? Trying to build a Strength-based slinger.

@V think the belt works for both normal sling and sling staff too, as they both count as thrown. it's pricy, but i think that's what i need. thanks!

Psyren
2018-12-26, 12:21 PM
A32: I think Sling Glove + Belt of Mighty Hurling might do the trick. Slipslinger Style will let you use a Sling Glove with all the other sling-related feats.

inuyasha
2018-12-30, 05:43 PM
Q35: It's been accidentally houseruled into two separate games that I've been in, but I'm just curious. Is there any official way for an Alchemist to hand off one of their bombs to somebody else for them to throw?

Florian
2018-12-30, 05:55 PM
A35: Nope.

Elvensilver
2019-01-04, 07:53 PM
Q 36: How does Power attack influence the damage of a two-handed weapon?

Petrukio
2019-01-04, 08:50 PM
Q 36: How does Power attack influence the damage of a two-handed weapon?

A 36: Bolding mine. Basically, at beginning levels, you do +2 damage with weapons, and +3 with two-handed weapons. These increase as you'd expect -1/+2/+3, -2/+4/+6, -3/+6/+9, -4/+8/+12. etc.

Power Attack (http://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Power%20Attack): You can choose to take a –1 penalty on all melee attack rolls and combat maneuver checks to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls. This bonus to damage is increased by half (+50%) if you are making an attack with a two-handed weapon, a one handed weapon using two hands, or a primary natural weapon that adds 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier on damage rolls.

Zhentarim
2019-01-06, 04:47 PM
Q37 Would it violate a reincarnated druid (https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Druid%20Reincarnat ed%20Druid)’s code of conduct to become an evangelist (prestige class) (http://aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Evangelist) of Haagenti (http://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Haagenti)?

ezekielraiden
2019-01-06, 10:47 PM
Q37 Would it violate a reincarnated druid (https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Druid%20Reincarnat ed%20Druid)’s code of conduct to become an evangelist (prestige class) (http://aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Evangelist) of Haagenti (http://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Haagenti)?

The linked pages make no mention of a code of conduct, so I'm not sure if there is a RAW answer to the question as asked.

Zhentarim
2019-01-06, 11:03 PM
The linked pages make no mention of a code of conduct, so I'm not sure if there is a RAW answer to the question as asked.

Oh, here is the druid’s code of conduct:

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

——

Its that first clause about revering nature that throws me for a loop.

ezekielraiden
2019-01-06, 11:18 PM
Oh, here is the druid’s code of conduct:

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

——

Its that first clause about revering nature that throws me for a loop.

Yeah, this sounds far too much like a DM call. What is "reverence"? Is it worship? Is it recognition? We know Druids can still worship gods (at least in 3.5, and I don't think PF changed that). The Evangelist writeup mentions druid worshippers of Rovagug being likely Evangelist candidates, so the alignment or destruction aspects aren't a direct problem...

So I guess RAW doesn't say it *is* a problem, but doesn't say it *can't be* one either. So ask your DM.

Psyren
2019-01-07, 01:16 PM
So alignment-wise, you're fine via the one-step rule provided your druid is CN or NE. That leaves "revere nature." Demons want to destroy everything, nature included, so I don't really see how you could choose one as your patron and still be fine. With that said, interpreting reverence is a GM/setting call and thus beyond the scope of this thread.

Florian
2019-01-07, 03:14 PM
A37 Addendum: Let´s clear this up a bit.

PHB RAW, neither Paladins nor Druids are connected to a divinity to receive their power, as long as they stay within their code.

Setting RAW, which in this case means Golarion, allows for the generic PHB case, but also allows for divine classes to work based on the connection to a divinity. See the now roughly 30 different (Anti-)Paladin Codes of Conduct we have right now. Druid is harder to pin down and give a definitive answer for, as the setting itself has various groups of practically dysfunctional Druid orders, at least when compared to the basic PHB RAW, as in we have Druids of Rovagug as well as Zon-Kuthon. Basically, in this case, it is next to impossible to extrapolate any clear RAW guideline, instead we have to work with the fall-back point of PHB RAW and grant exception to what is concretely mentioned, nothing more.

Gibblewrett
2019-01-08, 04:50 PM
Q38. In the RAW for poison crafting it says - You can make poison with the Craft (alchemy) skill. The DC to make a poison is equal to its Fortitude save DC.

Does this mean I can make a Brain Rot poison which normally has a dc of 12 due to it's fort save of 12 more powerful by crafting it with a fort save of say 30, and result in a DC 30 craft check?

Psyren
2019-01-08, 05:23 PM
A38: You can but it would be a custom item, because the defined item (Brain Rot Poison) has a DC of 12. So you'll need GM approval.

Calthropstu
2019-01-08, 05:49 PM
A38: You can but it would be a custom item, because the defined item (Brain Rot Poison) has a DC of 12. So you'll need GM approval.
A38: Addendum
Technically, he could regardless. RAW, he's basically adding more doses into a single application, upping the DC by 2 per dose. It gets expensive doing it that way, buuuut... at least it's inarguable raw.

Florian
2019-01-08, 05:55 PM
A38: Addendum
Technically, he could regardless. RAW, he's basically adding more doses into a single application, upping the DC by 2 per dose. It gets expensive doing it that way, buuuut... at least it's inarguable raw.

Nah. For that, you'd need the actual doses to mix.

Psyren
2019-01-08, 08:13 PM
Nah. For that, you'd need the actual doses to mix.

That, and I'm pretty sure the dose concentration rules apply when you're using the poisons, not when you're making them.

MilleniaAntares
2019-01-13, 02:17 AM
Q39: in what order is one's speed calculated? That is, the relationship between base speed, bonuses, penalties, and dealing with medium/heavy armor/loads.

Florian
2019-01-13, 03:06 AM
A39: Always in relation to base speed.

inuyasha
2019-01-14, 06:45 PM
Q40: If I'm statting up an Animated Object, can I apply the same features multiple times? I want to have an animated object that's really fast.

kkplx
2019-01-19, 07:58 PM
Q41

On Aid another, what exactly is possible regarding spells?

You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character’s skill check.

Can you ready an action to give a bonus to reflex save against a fireball? Do you both need to be adjacent to the caster?
Can you aid another to give a bonus against the ongoing save from hold person?
Can you aid another to give a bonus on the CL check to overcome an infernal wound when casting cure light wounds?

Firest Kathon
2019-01-20, 08:43 AM
A41 With the aid another action, you can normally (i.e. without a feat or class ability) only give a bonus to AC, attack rolls (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#TOC-Aid-Another), or skill checks (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills#TOC-Aid-Another). The "affected by a spell" portion only refers to spells that allow allies of the target to help them, e.g. those which apply the fascinated (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Fascinated) condition, such as Hypnotism (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hypnotism/):

A fascinated creature’s ally may shake it free of the spell as a standard action.

So for the reflex save and hold person: No. For the CL check, you would need a feat such as Coven Caster (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/coven-caster/).

Psyren
2019-01-20, 10:57 AM
A41: It's very vague as to whether this line refers only to spells that specifically allow for allied help (e.g. Hypnotism and Sleep) or whether a readied Aid can be applied to all spells that have a saving throw. The devs have never clarified this point, but I'm inclined to go with the former - it's reminder text for those specific spells only.

Sloanzilla
2019-01-20, 02:42 PM
Q42:

I should know this, but if I have the Craft Arms and Armor feat and I'm making a masterwork plate into +2 plate, do I still need "magic vestment"? Same question on weapons- do I need one of the magic weapon spells?

Powerdork
2019-01-20, 03:11 PM
Q42:

I should know this, but if I have the Craft Arms and Armor feat and I'm making a masterwork plate into +2 plate, do I still need "magic vestment"? Same question on weapons- do I need one of the magic weapon spells?

A42: The creation of magic weapons (without any special weapon abilities such as flaming) does not require spells, only a sufficient caster level to add the bonus. Normally, you can only add a +1 bonus per 3 caster levels. Likewise with armor. Bards, druids, rangers, and other magic-users who don't have magic weapon, greater magic weapon, or magic vestment on their spell lists can produce simple magic items with the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat just like a cleric can.

finaldooms
2019-01-23, 01:16 AM
Q43
if i take improved trip as a monk bonus feat and have 13+ int, can i take greater trip as a normal feat? or do i still need the other feats listed in the prereq?
obviously this would pertain to the other greater feats as well right?

Firest Kathon
2019-01-23, 07:51 AM
A34 You can take Greater Trip (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/greater-trip-combat/) as a normal feat, but you must fulfill all prerequisites. It is the same for all other feats.

Note that the Maneuver Master (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/maneuver-master) archetype allows you to take the Greater feats as monk bonus feats (i.e. without fulfilling the prerequisites).

Psyren
2019-01-23, 10:38 AM
A34 addendum: Another option is to take the Dirty Fighting (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dirty-fighting-combat/) feat, which was basically created so that "street fighters" could exist. Grab that and most if not all the "Improved X" and "Greater X" feats will be open to you.

finaldooms
2019-01-24, 07:36 AM
bit confused to the actual number we are on but..

Q44 does an animal companion have to meet the prerequisites for any feat it chooses from the list of animal feats if it has less than 3 int?
wanted to get heavy armor prof, but not sure if i need light and medium first just like a not animal comp does

Psyren
2019-01-24, 11:59 AM
A44: This has been one that's caused a lot of headache in the past. The Bestiary states the following:

Animal Traits:

Proficient with no armor unless trained for war.

Presumably this refers to the "Combat Training" application of the Handle Animal skill, but no details are given on exactly what proficiency this grants. NPC Codex however has multiple examples of characters with combat-trained animals outfitted in barding, even characters that don't get an animal companion, and no indication that those animals are nonproficient. For example, one of the sample Aristocrats has a "combat trained" heavy horse wearing breastplate, which suggests that combat training gives at least Medium Armor Proficiency. So I read this as combat training granting the animal armor proficiencies for free. However other GMs may require your animal to spend its feats.

finaldooms
2019-01-26, 09:34 AM
A44 extra shortly after i posted that i realized that quickly was guna be a ask the DM lol..we discussed and decided it will cost me A feat for whatever armor i wanted instead of making me go through the whole chain

Dire Moose
2019-01-31, 01:13 PM
Q45: Summon Monster and Summon Nature’s Ally have a casting time of one round. I can think of three ways this could be interpreted:

1. The summoned creatures appear on the same round you cast the spell, and you can control them that round, but otherwise you can’t do anything.

2. The summoned creatures appear on the same round you cast the spell, but you can’t do anything with them until the next round.

3. The summoned creatures don’t appear until the round after you cast the spell.

Which of these is correct?

Draconi Redfir
2019-01-31, 01:18 PM
A45:
the monster doesn't appear until the next round. So round 1: Begin spell. Round 2: complete spell, Monster appears.

Psyren
2019-01-31, 04:56 PM
A45 addendum: Scenario #3 is the correct one as stated. Only addition is that, since it's a brand new round, you can then take your actions as normal. You can even start another summon.

finaldooms
2019-02-04, 04:40 AM
Q46
Does the varient vicious opportunist for rogues/ninja have their ability trigger on every hit that qualifies? ( anytime you flank, they have a detrimental condition, or would be denied their dex bonus to ac you get a +2 bonus to damage)
For example I have multiple attacks a round via high BaB or 2weapon fighting, as long as I'm flanking them each hit would trigger the extra +2 correct?

Psyren
2019-02-04, 10:18 AM
A46: Are you referring to the 3rd-party archetype by Rite Publishing?

It's really poorly-written, but yes, it should trigger on each separate damage roll and therefore should trigger multiple times if you have multiple attacks that qualify.

frogglesmash
2019-02-05, 03:49 AM
Q47
The rules for the Magus' Spell Combat ability say "as a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty)."

From a strictly RAW perspective it seems that the only criteria a spell needs to meet to be cast with Spell Combat are that it a) appears on the magus spell list, and b) have a casting time of 1 standard action. Whether or not the spell is one of the Magus' prepared spells, or one of their spells known does is not taken into consideration, effectively allowing pseudo spontaneous casting off of the full Magus spell list. Is my interpretation correct, and if not why?

grarrrg
2019-02-05, 07:57 AM
A47
It must be a Magus spell you have prepared in one of your slots.
Source: FAQ (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rdm)

Florian
2019-02-06, 04:14 AM
Is my interpretation correct, and if not why?

Context matters. The ability creates a specific exception/extension to how spell casting works, but is ultimately based on the core functionality of Magus spell casting itself. You can't read one without the other.

ezekielraiden
2019-02-15, 01:48 PM
Q48
If an Exploiter Wizard takes the School Understanding exploit, does it still grant a bonus spell slot per spell level for use only with that school's spells?

Psyren
2019-02-15, 04:05 PM
A48: No, all School Understanding gives you is school powers; it doesn't say anything about bonus spell slots, and the Exploiter Wizard already traded those away via the archetype in order to get exploits in the first place.

Sir_Chivalry
2019-02-17, 09:10 PM
Q49 If a feral gnasher barbarian has only a bite attack and only attacks with that bite attack, does he add x1.5 his Str bonus on the damage?

Draconi Redfir
2019-02-17, 10:58 PM
A49: Yes, you add St+1/2 to damage so long as it's the only natural weapon he has.

If a creature has only one natural attack, it is always made using the creature’s full base attack bonus and adds 1-1/2 times the creature’s Strength bonus on damage rolls. This increase does not apply if the creature has multiple attacks but only takes one. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks)

Q50: I was always under the impression that even when dual-wielding weapons, the second attack granted only applies to full-round actions, similar to the extra attacks granted by high BAB. But the Two-weapon-fighting (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/two-weapon-fighting-combat/) makes no mention of needing a full round action, merely "one extra attack per round". Would a Barbarian with an axe in each hand be able to move 40ft to an enemy, and then hit them once with each weapon? or would they need to already be standing next to the enemy?

Powerdork
2019-02-18, 03:04 AM
Would a Barbarian with an axe in each hand be able to move 40ft to an enemy, and then hit them once with each weapon?

A50: No, when you make an attack as a standard action using the attack action, you make one attack. To gain all the attacks you're allowed from every source (be it the general two-weapon fighting rules in the Combat chapter, a haste spell, or a high base attack bonus), you must make attacks as a full-round action. You can still take a 5-foot step at any time during this full-round action, provided you haven't found another way to move (such as with a swift runner's shirt).

Psyren
2019-02-18, 05:13 PM
A50: The specific (or more accurately, general) rule you're looking for is under Combat:

Multiple Attacks

A character who can make more than one attack per round must use the full-attack action (see Full-Round Actions) in order to get more than one attack.

This is exactly the same way it works in 3.5; an ability must specifically override this general rule for you to get multiple attacks another way.

Selion
2019-02-21, 02:55 PM
Q51
Does Lesser Celestial Totem work with Greater Skald's Vigor?

ezekielraiden
2019-02-24, 06:15 PM
Q52
Does an amulet of mighty fists with weapon enhancements (e.g. flaming) apply said enhancements to all of a creature's natural attacks?

grarrrg
2019-02-24, 11:34 PM
A52
Yes.
Excepting things that only apply to certain types of attacks > "only Piercing weapons" won't help your Slam attacks.

Psyren
2019-02-25, 02:55 AM
A51: This totem specifically does not work with fast healing or regeneration, so no. Even if it did, it only works on spells, and GSV is a feat (which modifies the skald's performance ability.)

Calthropstu
2019-03-01, 01:46 PM
Q52 is there anything that can make one immune to curses?

Psyren
2019-03-01, 04:55 PM
A52: The Soul Sentinel Paladin and the capstone of the Harrow sorcerer bloodline give you curse immunity specifically. Most curses are also spells (with SR:Yes) so the usual suspects there like Spell Immunity or Globe of Invulnerability can help.

Cieyrin
2019-03-04, 12:24 PM
Q 53 If a pair of Ratfolk (http://aonprd.com/RacesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Ratfolk) with Artillery Team (http://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Artillery%20Team) are sharing the same square, can they effectively use Artillery Team to wield the Large crossbow or musket, as the tracing of the line from your to your ally's space when it's the same space seems... odd.

KillianHawkeye
2019-03-04, 11:14 PM
Q 54

Is there any rule somewhere that allows a Monk or other character with exceptional unarmed strike damage to deal their normal damage with weapons like the cestus or brass knuckles that supposedly improve your unarmed strikes? Or are you stuck with 1d3 when using them?

Cieyrin
2019-03-05, 06:37 AM
A 54 The descriptions of brass knuckles and cestus say they change your unarmed strike damage to lethal, so if you have one equipped and make an unarmed strike, you deal your unarmed damage, just lethal (and/or possibly piercing, in the case of the cestus). You only deal their damage as weapons if you specifically use them, not for using your unarmed strike.

Psyren
2019-03-05, 09:58 AM
A53 This seems fine, your ally's square in this case is also yours so any line you draw will originate there.

A54 While normally the Cestus/Knuckle's lower damage dice would override your monk dice, there are a couple of ways around this; the easiest is probably Ascetic Strike.

ezekielraiden
2019-03-05, 10:13 AM
Q55
Does the Magical Enigma (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/magical-enigma-story) story feat give a summoner an Eidolon as if they were one level higher, in all ways? E.g. extra evo points, more hit dice if appropriate, etc. Or, to put it more simply, if a 20th level summoner had this feat, would their Eidolon be extrapolated to "21st" (master) level abilities?

Psyren
2019-03-05, 10:24 AM
A55 No, you only get your eidolon evolutions treated 1 higher. Other aspects of the eidolon (like its BAB and saves) are not affected by this.

Fenryr
2019-03-05, 10:59 PM
Q56.

Due some weird wording I gotta ask.

Can you combine Spring Attack and Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action?

Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action You can choose to fight defensively when taking a full-attack action. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC until the start of your next turn.

Spring Attack As a full-round action, you can move up to your speed and make a single melee attack without provoking any attacks of opportunity from the target of your attack.

Powerdork
2019-03-06, 04:10 AM
Due some weird wording I gotta ask.

Can you combine Spring Attack and Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action?

A56, No. Spring Attack is a special full-round action, while "fighting defensively as a full-round action" takes place during the full-attack, a different kind of full-round action.

killem2
2019-03-09, 12:29 PM
Q 57: What is the RAW for this feat? Do you get to return false information as much as you want, or only once per day once you have attained the Completion Benefit.

Infiltrator Story Feat.
Benefit: Once per day when you succeed at a saving throw to negate a divination, you learn what the divination would have revealed and can spend an immediate action to cause the divination to return appropriate false information you imagine that would fit with your cover identity.

Completion Benefit: Whenever a spell or spell-like ability would reveal information about you, you can attempt a Will saving throw. If your saving throw is successful, the spell reveals nothing about you. You can use this feat’s benefits to instead give false information, as detailed above.

I have a player interpreting this as, I get to always return false information if they choose. I (the GM) and thinking you can always choose to return no information, but to return false information you would need to use the immediate action and you'd only be able to do it once per day.

KillianHawkeye
2019-03-09, 07:41 PM
A 57

Just from the wording of what you've posted here, it seems like the false information is once per day unless you have completed it (whatever that means), then it becomes all the time. You still need to make the saving throw and it would still cost an immediate action to use it.

slento
2019-03-14, 11:58 AM
Q58

How does the Cheetah's Sprint spell work?

If you take a charge or run action before the end of your turn, you can move a total distance of up to 10 times your base land speed. This adjustment is an*enhancement bonus. There is no effect on other modes of movement, such as*burrow, climb, fly, or swim. As with other effects that increase your speed, this spell affects your jumping distance.

It gives an enhancement bonus to.....something? And the value of that bonus is.......presumably a number?

I see this spell come up pretty frequently on 'gotta go fast' builds, but how does it actually work?

Psyren
2019-03-14, 01:52 PM
A58: That note is just to let you know that it won't stack with stuff like Haste or Expeditious Retreat. It's much bigger than those two when you're running or charging, so it would overlap/trump them.

slento
2019-03-14, 03:30 PM
A58

A58: That note is just to let you know that it won't stack with stuff like Haste or Expeditious Retreat. It's much bigger than those two when you're running or charging, so it would overlap/trump them.

Thanks for the response.

So it's a bonus to speed? What is the value of the bonus? Does that mean that charging normally gives some kind of untyped bonus to speed?

Cieyrin
2019-03-14, 05:11 PM
A58
Thanks for the response.

So it's a bonus to speed? What is the value of the bonus? Does that mean that charging normally gives some kind of untyped bonus to speed?

Charge lets you move double your speed as a full round action and attack at the end. Run lets you move quadruple your speed (usually) as a full round action. Cheetah's Sprint changes that double or quadruple to ten times your normal speed as a full round action. So those actions don't provide a bonus to your speed at all, just allow you to move multiples of your base speed. So if you're a bog standard human, your movement speed is 30'; so you could normally charge 60' or run 120'. If you cast Cheetah's Sprint first, you'd move 300' if you charge or run that turn. So what Cheetah's Sprint effectively gave you was an additional 180-240' of movement that turn that can't be increased by enhancement bonuses to movement speed, like haste, expeditious retreat, or Monk's Fast Movement ability.

Psyren
2019-03-14, 05:17 PM
Basically, it's an unspecified enhancement bonus that sets your run and charge speed to a specific value - 10x instead of 4x/2x (respectively).

The bonus type is so you know what value to multiply by 10 when you run or charge (and thus how far/fast you go.) For most creatures that is going to be their base speed (e.g. 30ft. for an unarmored human.) If that human has an enhacement buff to their speed, e.g. from haste or ER, it doesn't count because the bonuses are the same type. Thus, an unarmored hasted human with this spell would move at the same speed as one without haste, i.e. 10x 30ft. = 300ft on a single run or charge action.

Where it gets interesting is speed buffs that are not enhancement. For example, this spell is on the bloodrager list - their Fast Movement bonus is untyped, so a bloodrager could use this spell to move 400ft. on a run/charge. Similarly, this spell is on the Druid list - wild shape lets druids get the base speed of their chosen form, which can get you some truly ridiculous speeds.

TL;DR figure out your land speed, remove any enhancement bonuses, multiply by 10 and that's how far you can run or charge in a round.

Elvensilver
2019-03-18, 12:38 PM
Q59:Are monk vows allowed for unchained monks?
Caveat: are there more vows than those listed in Ultimate Magic? If so, where?

Cieyrin
2019-03-18, 04:36 PM
A 59 Vows aren't an archetype, they can be taken by anyone with a Ki pool; Unchained Monks have a ki pool, thus they can take vows. They just don't receive the Still Mind feature ever, like a Core Monk who took a vow.

As far as I'm aware, Ultimate Magic is the only source of vows that increase the size of the ki pool; the topic hasn't been revisited since.

Q 60 Does Handle Animal/Wild Empathy work on swarms? Specifically rat swarms but the question applies to other swarms as well via Vermin Heart to add Vermin typed Swarms alongside Animal ones.

MesiDoomstalker
2019-03-19, 02:36 PM
Q 61 The Gun Chemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo-alchemist-archetypes/gun-chemist-alchemist-archetype/) Alchemical Ordinance class feature says its bombs for the purposes of discoveries. Does that mean one could use the Fast Bomb (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo-alchemist-discoveries/fast-bombs)Discovery to apply multiple Ordinance in a single round (assuming one can reload as a Free Action)?

Cieyrin
2019-03-20, 05:52 AM
A 61 You could but the Fast Ordinance discovery does the exact same thing.

Calthropstu
2019-03-20, 07:05 PM
Q62:
I cast an illusion spell to create an illusion of a hundred monsters in a 20 foot radius and up the dc to something that is very difficult to make the will save on.
I then summon the monsters that I created the illusion of and place them in the illusionary zone.
What bonuses should those monsters get?

Psyren
2019-03-20, 07:31 PM
A62 clarification: Bonuses to what exactly? Are they trying to hide?

Calthropstu
2019-03-20, 07:37 PM
A62 clarification: Bonuses to what exactly? Are they trying to hide?

Hide and attack someone in the center of the illusion.
My thought was that they get cover and concealment as well as negatives to the defender such as not being able to aoo when they move.

Selion
2019-03-21, 03:15 AM
Q63
An unchained synthetist summoner merged with her eidolon has her own weapon attacks count against the max number of eidolon attacks or do they add up?
Namely, a level 1 summoner with two weapons fighting and a serpentine eidolon can attacks with both her weapons and with two eidolon (secondary) natural attacks, to a total of 4, or is it limited to 3?

grarrrg
2019-03-21, 07:12 AM
A63: Strictly RAW speaking, you'd be limited to 3 attacks PERIOD.

...but it's a horribly thought out 'ability' and/or is poorly worded.
In my opinion, it should be worded more like "maximum number of attacks you can use per round". Carry/have as many as you want, but you can only use so many.

An example of the stupid: just about anything that can attack can make an Unarmed strike. You can Two Weapon Fight with Unarmed strikes (reminder that the first TWF Feat only removes to-hit penalities). Therefore a Level 1 Biped Eidolon is illegal, because it has 4 attacks (2 claw, 2 Unarmed) when the limit is 3. But the only penalty for over attack limit is you cannot Evolution more attacks. This means you would have to wait until level _19_ until you could add _1_ more Natural attack (iteratives kick in around the time the attack limit would increase, and it doesn't catch up until level 19).

Psyren
2019-03-21, 07:15 AM
Hide and attack someone in the center of the illusion.
My thought was that they get cover and concealment as well as negatives to the defender such as not being able to aoo when they move.

And which illusion are you using? Some don't mention concealment at all so you'd be left with GM adjudication.

An example of the stupid: just about anything that can attack can make an Unarmed strike. You can Two Weapon Fight with Unarmed strikes (reminder that the first TWF Feat only removes to-hit penalities). Therefore a Level 1 Biped Eidolon is illegal, because it has 4 attacks (2 claw, 2 Unarmed) when the limit is 3.

Actually, even though you can TWF with Unarmed Strike, you still have just the one per character. It's an exception to the TWF rules.

grarrrg
2019-03-21, 07:40 AM
Actually, even though you can TWF with Unarmed Strike, you still have just the one per character. It's an exception to the TWF rules.

EDIT: (removed previous reply)
"Max. Attacks: This indicates the maximum number of attacks that the eidolon is allowed to possess at the given level. If the eidolon is at its maximum, it cannot take evolutions that grant additional attacks. Attacks made with weapons, including those granted by a high base attack bonus, are counted against this maximum."

No. It goes even dumber than that.
It doesn't care about source of attack (I have -a- sword), it cares about how many attacks you can make with it (Bab 6 means 2 sword attacks).
So it doesn't matter that you only have one unarmed attack. Your can still TWF with it, and that's an extra attack, and that's all it cares about.

Selion
2019-03-21, 10:42 AM
"Max. Attacks: This indicates the maximum number of attacks that the eidolon is allowed to possess at the given level. If the eidolon is at its maximum, it cannot take evolutions that grant additional attacks. Attacks made with weapons, including those granted by a high base attack bonus, are counted against this maximum."

It doesn't care about source of attack (I have -a- sword), it cares about how many attacks you can make with it (Bab 6 means 2 sword attacks).
So it doesn't matter that you only have one unarmed attack. Your can still TWF with it, and that's an extra attack, and that's all it cares about.

I didn't expect a discussion about it, maybe it's the case of opening a dedicated topic

Psyren
2019-03-21, 11:19 AM

The restriction is that you can't take additional evolutions though - not that your base form would somehow be disallowed.

I agree that a dedicated thread might make more sense for this one.

Selion
2019-03-21, 11:29 AM
The restriction is that you can't take additional evolutions though - not that your base form would somehow be disallowed.

I agree that a dedicated thread might make more sense for this one.

Done http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583846-Synthetist-Unchained-Summoner-number-of-attacks

upho
2019-03-21, 03:14 PM
Q 64 a "Scary Mary" is 11th level character who has the following abilities and feats:

Ascetic Style (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/ascetic-style-combat-style/) (shuriken), Combat Style Master (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-style-master-combat/), Weapon Style Mastery (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats/weapon-style-mastery-style-weapon-mastery/) and devastating touch (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread/#TOC-Devastating-Touch-Su-).
-
Broken Dreams Style (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/feats/broken-dreams-style-psionic-style), Shattered Dream Strike (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/feats/shattered-dream-strike-psionic) and Nightmare Veil (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/feats/nightmare-veil-psionic/). Relevant RAW: "While in the broken dreams style, after making a successful unarmed strike empowered with your devastating touch, you can make a free Intimidate check against the target." "While in the broken dreams style, any target that is shaken treats you as concealed."
-
Chameleon Shift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/dreamscarred-press/shifting-feats/chameleon-shift-shifting/) and four other shifting feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/dreamscarred-press/shifting-feats/). Relevant RAW: "At 5 Shifting feats, you may attempt a Stealth check to hide even when observed."
-
Dazzling Gambit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/martial-class-templates/privateer-template/), a bunch of ranged combat feats, and arbitrarily high Intimidate and Stealth skill bonuses. Relevant RAW: "Whenever the privateer succeeds on a gambit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/warlord/#TOC-gambits), he can make an Intimidate check to demoralize all opponents within 30 feet as a free action, even if it isn’t his turn."

Mary sneaks up to a group of five enemies (none of them immune to fear), positioning herself so that all of them are within 30' of her. She then starts combat by initiating a gambit (swift action) after entering Ascetic Style and Broken Dreams Style (free action), followed by a ranged full attack with her shuriken. Assuming her first attack hits and her gambit succeeds, the five enemies are shaken and Mary gains concealment from them.

Question: After her first attack, Mary would normally no longer have total concealment as her attack causes her to lose the benefits of Stealth. But as she also has HiPS and gains concealment as part of this first attack, what happens?

Mary can make a Stealth check immediately after her first and each subsequent attack in order to remain in Stealth, basically as if she was successfully taking the sniping action (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/stealth) in the Stealth skill rules.
Mary loses her total concealment after her first attack, and she cannot regain it unless she moves at least 5' (allowing her to make a Stealth check).
Something else.

IOW, assuming Mary has no means to move after each attack she makes as part of her full attack, is it possible for her to complete her ranged full attack without ever breaking Stealth, never giving her enemies so much as the tiniest glimpse of herself or her position? Why or why not?

Q 64 b If Mary does not have Nightmare Veil which grants her concealment to shaken enemies, what changes, if anything? Why?

Cieyrin
2019-03-21, 08:25 PM
A 64a Okay, so a couple issues I see are as such:

1) Combat Style Master lets you switch your style as a free action, not start them as a free, that's still a swift. You can start in one because of it but your swift is going to be either to start your second style or initiating your gambit, not both.
2) All the gambits require at least a move action, typically a standard, to complete to trigger your ploy to shaken your enemies so you get concealment, so unless you have something else that turns one of them into a free, I don't know how you're getting a full attack here.
3) Sniping is after a single attack, not a full round, and requires its own dedicated move action, which, again, unless you have something that makes that faster, you're not getting a full attack.

So, you snuck up on these guys, so you have a Surprise round. You have a Swift as well as a Standard or Move. Use your Swift to get both styles going, Move in among them. Done.
Round 1, assuming you act before they do, you Swift to initiate your gambit (let's say Deadeye Gambit and you have Greater Called Shot for making a Called Shot as a Standard), you make your called shot and succeed, Demoralize the lot of them, so they're Shaken and you're concealed against them. You use your Move to Snipe and hide, so they have no idea where you are.

So really, to make this work, you need Surprise and to act before they do in combat. No full attacks are happening via this method if you want to keep stealthed so you maintain not only Total Concealment but them having no idea where you are. It's not that they never see you, it's that they catch a glimpse of something before fear takes over and its the last thing they ever see, presumably.

A 64b Without Nightmare Veil, you're not standing among them unseen, unless you have some other method of concealment like Blur or Haunted Gnome Shroud. Chameleon Shift grants HiPS but not Camouflage, so you need concealment or cover to snipe. You're gonna scare the hell out of them but they'll know where you are and where to run from or to.

upho
2019-03-22, 03:54 PM
A 64a Okay, so a couple issues I see are as such:Oh, crap. I made a far too elaborate example, leading you to analyze things which actually aren't issues in this case. Sorry 'bout that. (And btw, you can certainly perform gambits with ranged full attacks - for example Flanker's or Pinhole Gambit work just fine.)

Let me try and simplify this. Assume:

there's only a single enemy
no surprise round, only a single regular combat turn for Mary
Mary starts her turn successfully hidden and the enemy completely unaware of her existence, and she doesn't need to move in order to attack the enemy
Mary is already in both her style stances
Mary makes a ranged full attack (she doesn't use the sniping action or do anything else with her move and standard)

My question is what happens after Mary has made the first successful attack in her full attack, which grants her concealment at the same instant as she loses concealment due to having made an attack. For example, can she make a Stealth check at this precise instant in order to remain unseen? Does she need to? What if she can move at least 5' between each of her attacks, does that change anything? Why?

If she completes her full attack without moving and then takes a 5-foot step along with a successful Stealth check, what has the enemy seen of her and her position, if anything?

Cieyrin
2019-03-23, 10:08 AM
Oh, crap. I made a far too elaborate example, leading you to analyze things which actually aren't issues in this case. Sorry 'bout that. (And btw, you can certainly perform gambits with ranged full attacks - for example Flanker's or Pinhole Gambit work just fine.)

Let me try and simplify this. Assume:

there's only a single enemy
no surprise round, only a single regular combat turn for Mary
Mary starts her turn successfully hidden and the enemy completely unaware of her existence, and she doesn't need to move in order to attack the enemy
Mary is already in both her style stances
Mary makes a ranged full attack (she doesn't use the sniping action or do anything else with her move and standard)

My question is what happens after Mary has made the first successful attack in her full attack, which grants her concealment at the same instant as she loses concealment due to having made an attack. For example, can she make a Stealth check at this precise instant in order to remain unseen? Does she need to? What if she can move at least 5' between each of her attacks, does that change anything? Why?

If she completes her full attack without moving and then takes a 5-foot step along with a successful Stealth check, what has the enemy seen of her and her position, if anything?

I did look at Flanker's and Pinhole but they both require an ally, which neither example indicates, as it sounds like you're completely alone, which leaves all the other gambits to consider that you can do by yourself. Keeping to a full attack, with Improved Called Shot, you can replace one of your attacks with a called shot, so you can succeed at the Deadeye gambit as part of a full attack and trigger your ploy.

Anyways, the fact you gain concealment from your actions doesn't change the fact that you broke stealth when you attacked. The exact clause from the CRB:
Your Stealth immediately ends after you make an attack roll, whether or not the attack is successful (except when sniping as noted below). So the fact that you're choosing not to snipe means you've revealed your presence, so you must move from that location so you can hide once more. Again referring to the CRB:
Normally, you make a Stealth check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. So as long as you move (5' is fine), you can restealth at the end of your turn or after each adjustment for each attack, as each attack breaks your Stealth, since you're deliberately not sniping.

If you take either of those courses, since you broke Stealth, your target sees something but since you're reestablishing Stealth, they have absolutely no idea where you are without trying to seek you out. All they can really know is you're close by, they're scared and they saw glimpses of something that's trying to kill them.

upho
2019-03-23, 04:49 PM
If you take either of those courses, since you broke Stealth, your target sees something but since you're reestablishing Stealth, they have absolutely no idea where you are without trying to seek you out. All they can really know is you're close by, they're scared and they saw glimpses of something that's trying to kill them.Thanks a ton!

Since I'm rather senile, let me just confirm I've understood what you're saying: a) the only way for Mary to never break Stealth and never reveal her position during a round in which she attacks is by taking the sniping action, and b) outside the sniping action the only way she can make a Stealth check to hide after attacking is by moving at least 5'. Correct?

If so, this thankfully confirms my own conclusions. But those darn Stealth rules... The best thing I can say about them is that they're suitably "stealthy". :smallannoyed:

Draconi Redfir
2019-03-24, 12:26 AM
Q65: Small debate at my table today when i tried to Sonic Thrust (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sonic-thrust/) an enemy out of battle. So just wanted to confirm here.

What i thought: Sonic Thrust's range is listed as 400ft +40ft per level, so (if assuming minimum range) i could thrust a creature that's standing 10ft away from me as far as 390ft away, or a creature that's 390ft away from me as far as 10ft away.

What we realized / decided at the table: Sonic Thrust refers to the Telekinesis "Violent Thrust" (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/telekinesis) which says the target is thrown 10ft per level. In hindsight, that makes a lot more sense.

So just to make sure for future reference: Q: Sonic Thrust only throws the target 10ft per level (max 150ft) away from you, correct?

KillianHawkeye
2019-03-24, 08:27 AM
A 65 That's correct.

Cieyrin
2019-03-24, 10:48 AM
Thanks a ton!

Since I'm rather senile, let me just confirm I've understood what you're saying: a) the only way for Mary to never break Stealth and never reveal her position during a round in which she attacks is by taking the sniping action, and b) outside the sniping action the only way she can make a Stealth check to hide after attacking is by moving at least 5'. Correct?

If so, this thankfully confirms my own conclusions. But those darn Stealth rules... The best thing I can say about them is that they're suitably "stealthy". :smallannoyed:

With her set of abilities, that is correct.

killem2
2019-03-31, 02:51 PM
Q 66. Does the caster of Pyrotechnics needs to roll will saves or make a caster level check to avoid being blinded? (Fireworks option).

Cieyrin
2019-03-31, 06:31 PM
A 66 If they're in the 120' burst, yes.

Firest Kathon
2019-04-02, 05:49 AM
A66 addendum A will save, to be specific.

Griffin
2019-04-04, 01:19 PM
Q67

hi all!

I have a question regarding natural attacks, I'm a tiefling with the maw or claw racial, I pick bite as the selected natural attack, so I understand that if it is my only natural attack the damage is Bite + 1 and 1/2 str, but if I use this natural attack as part of a full round action with manufactured weapons it becomes a secondary attack at -5. The question is, the damage remains as bite + 1 and 1/2 str or does it change to Bite + 1/2 str?

Thanks

Psyren
2019-04-04, 02:13 PM
A67: Yes - once you combine any natural attack with manufactured weapons, that attack becomes secondary regardless of its original type. This includes the reduced 1/2 Str damage modifier.

killem2
2019-04-04, 07:18 PM
Q 68: Do you roll for spell resistance for each instance of something on a spell? Like for each magic missile, for each scorching ray, for each target with in a fireball?

Psyren
2019-04-04, 11:14 PM
A68: You roll per creature to be affected, so if those spells are hitting multiple subjects with SR you would roll for each one. If they're hitting a single foe you would roll once, even if that foe is getting hit by multiple missiles/rays.

heavyfuel
2019-04-05, 10:40 AM
Q 69

Can a character using Automatic Bonus Progression choose their magical rays / ranged touch attacks as their weapon to enhance? I guess not, but it doesn't hurt to ask

Psyren
2019-04-05, 11:08 AM
A69: It says "weapon in your possession" which a ray wouldn't be - you're either casting it, or it doesn't exist.

With that said, you could argue for some permanent ability that gives you a ray qualifying, like Kinetic Blast or a Warlock Vigilante's Mystic Bolt.

heavyfuel
2019-04-05, 11:58 AM
Q 70

Are there any rules for making the floor slippery with oil or similar substance?

Psyren
2019-04-05, 02:17 PM
A70: The general rules are in two places: The Acrobatics skill, and the terrain rules. If the surface is greater than 3ft. wide, the base DC is 0, and then you start adding on the modifiers for slipperiness, your own speed, whether you're moving past an opponent etc. The terrain rules are what let you know that just about anything can make a surface slippery, including water or blood.

The rules for actually coating a surface with a substance, I'm having a bit more trouble finding, but that one might be judgmental anyway - you could say for example that a lantern or vial of oil should coat a 5ft square, but what about a bucket? That may need a ruling.

unseenmage
2019-04-05, 02:22 PM

The rules for actually coating a surface with a substance, I'm having a bit more trouble finding, but that one might be judgmental anyway - you could say for example that a lantern or vial of oil should coat a 5ft square, but what about a bucket? That may need a ruling.
Could use the rules for applying a potion-like oil as modified for the 'creature' part of the equation being an immobile object.
Like applying an oil to a sleeping character?

Elysiume
2019-04-08, 02:19 AM
Q71: Strong Jaw reads

Laying a hand upon an allied creature’s jaw, claws, tentacles, or other natural weapons, you enhance the power of that creature’s natural attacks. Each natural attack that creature makes deals damage as if the creature were two sizes larger than it actually is. If the creature is already Gargantuan or Colossal-sized, double the amount of damage dealt by each of its natural attacks instead. This spell does not actually change the creature’s size; all of its statistics except the amount of damage dealt by its natural attacks remain unchanged.Bold for emphasis.

RAW, this would give a large creature with a 2d6+15 a 4d6+15 bite attack and a colossal creature with a 4d6+15 bite attack an 8d6+30 bite attack. Is there any errata or clarification for this? Am I reading it correctly?

grarrrg
2019-04-08, 03:39 AM
A71: You only double the dice.
Doubling is (usually) exactly what happens with 2 size increases anyway.

There is a FAQ that goes over damage increases, Strong Jaw matches up.
https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t3f

2019-04-09, 10:39 AM
Q72

Can you use the "Treat Deadly Wounds" usage of the Heal skill on an Undead target?

Sir_Chivalry
2019-04-10, 08:14 AM
Q73

Can a gunslinger's duster be enchanted as armour would be? It provides an armour bonus but can it be further enchanted?

Firest Kathon
2019-04-10, 09:15 AM
A72 Yes.

A73 No. It grants an armor bonus (same as e.g. the spell Mage Armor) but it is not a (physical) armor which could be enchanted.

Psyren
2019-04-10, 09:45 AM
A73 correction: The question was whether the duster could be "further enchanted" which I take to mean asking if it's possible to increase the numbers it provides - the answer to that is yes (outside of PFS), but that would be a custom item requiring GM approval, similar to increasing the caster level on a crafted scroll above the minimum.

The duster itself is a wondrous item rather than armor so you couldn't add armor special abilities to it normally. However, you could combine it with something like Silken Ceremonial Armor or Bracers of Armor that has those special abilities applied, as those occupy a different slot (Armor or Wrists instead of Body, respectively.) The armor bonuses to AC would overlap instead of stacking, but you would still be able to make use of properties like Energy Resistance or Ghost Touch this way.

Kesnit
2019-04-10, 07:17 PM
Q74 The rules on alcohol say a character can "onsume a number of alcoholic beverages equal to 1 plus double his Constitution modifier before being sickened for 1 hour equal to the number of drinks above this maximum." What is the time frame for consuming? For example, if my CON mod is 5, how quickly do I have to drink 12 drinks before I get sick?

lord pringle
2019-04-12, 12:27 AM
Q75
Can an unchained monk/Magus combine Spell Combat and Flurry? U.Monk doesn't have the language about flurry being like two weapon fighting and is a full attack instead of a full round action.

Elysiume
2019-04-12, 12:48 AM
A75: No. Flurry of Blows is a full-attack action, which is a full-round action. If you FoB, you don't have a full-round action left to do Spell Combat. SC is a full-round action that lets you make all of your attacks, but does not grant you a full-attack action that you can then use to FoB.

At 1st level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action.

At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. [...] As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty).

Fenryr
2019-04-18, 09:21 AM
A74.

Inner Sea Taverns expands such thing. Pages 54 and 55 have rules for sober, tipsy, drunk, soused and passed out. To jump from one to another it's usually

If you consume an additional number of alcoholic drinks equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) within an hour, or if you consume more than one alcoholic drink per hour for a number of hours equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1),

Q76.

Rage Power Guarded Stance:

Benefit: The barbarian gains a +1 dodge bonus to her Armor Class against melee attacks for a number of rounds equal to the barbarian’s current Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This bonus increases by +1 for every 6 levels the barbarian has attained. Activating this ability is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Is the Con+Modifier duration per rage or per day?

Psyren
2019-04-18, 10:24 AM
A76: It's per rage - most of the time the duration will be moot, because (like all ongoing rage powers) it will end when your rage does even if it has duration left. The idea is that if you have enough rage rounds (and a long enough fight) to exceed the duration of this ability even if you're still raging, you will need a second move action to reactivate it.

heavyfuel
2019-04-19, 01:08 PM
Q 77

A psicrystal with the Informant archetype gets actual skill points (4+int) instead of sharing skills with its master.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/equipment/psicrystals/psycrystal-archetypes/informant-psicrystal-archetype/

However, there doesn't seem to be a list of class skills for them. Do they have class skills? Or are all skills non-class for them?

Psyren
2019-04-19, 03:22 PM
A77: Looks like this one is by a... fourth party publisher? (i.e. not DSP) so it might just be an oversight on their part. Your best bet is to try and ask them what their intent was, but the default rule is that Constructs have no class skills at all.

With that said, something being a "cross-class skill" is much less of a problem in PF, it's only a 3-point difference generally.

TheFamilarRaven
2019-04-21, 01:50 PM
Q 78: On the PFSRD, free actions are quoted as "rarely provoking attacks of opportunity". however, in the table with sample actions, no example of given of a free action that actually provokes an AoO. Is this just a round about way of saying "it's under the DM's purview"? Or are there actual examples of abilities or spell that actually say they provoke an AoO?

grarrrg
2019-04-21, 11:24 PM
A78 Without having dug around much, it could just be a (very) rare case of "future proofing" the rules (and/or protecting themselves from not-fully-implemented late edits).

Elysiume
2019-04-21, 11:28 PM
A 78: Short answer: I only know of one thing that says "you may X as a free action that provokes an attack of opportunity," but there are a number of options that let you take provoking actions as free actions. Mobility (Mythic) (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/mythic/mythic-feats/mobility-mythic/) reads:

Whenever you use Mobility, you gain a +6 dodge bonus to AC instead of the normal +4. In addition, once per round when an attack of opportunity provoked by your movement misses you, you may move 5 feet as a free action. This movement doesn’t count against your total overall movement for the round, but it does provoke attacks of opportunity.

Long answer: For a definite albeit less explicit option, Crossbow Mastery (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/crossbow-mastery-combat/) used to reload a crossbow you didn't take Rapid Reload with would provoke as a free action:

The time required for you to reload any type of crossbow is reduced to a free action, regardless of the type of crossbow used. You can fire a crossbow as many times in a full attack action as you could attack if you were using a bow. Reloading a crossbow for the type of crossbow you chose when you took Rapid Reload no longer provokes attacks of opportunity.

It's not common, but things that let you make a combat maneuver as a free action are what come to mind for this case. Sometimes they specify that it doesn't provoke, such as Shield Slam (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-slam-combat/). Unseat (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/unseat-combat/) doesn't specify, but it has Improved Bull Rush as a prereq, as does Charge Through (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/charge-through-combat/) for Improved Overrun. If you have something that lets you take feats with ignoring prereqs (like MoMS (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/master-of-many-styles/) into Pummeling Bully (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/pummeling-bully-combat/)), this would apply.

Probably Sea Hunter (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/sea-hunter-combat-merfolk/), Sliding Axe Throw (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sliding-axe-throw-combat/), Wolf Style (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/wolf-style-combat-style/).

I'm not sure why they include that reminder text for free actions but not swift/immediate actions.

ezekielraiden
2019-04-27, 05:48 PM
Q79
Other than Improved Natural Armor and enhancement bonuses (e.g. barkskin, ironskin), what methods exist in PF to increase one's existing natural armor bonus while shapechange'd? I am aware of one source of size bonus to NA, legendary proportions, but something more long-term would be preferable. Anything other than class levels: equipment, spells, feats, whatever.

2019-04-28, 11:31 PM
Q80

For the purposes of mounted combat, what size of mount can a human ride? Please quote, link, or refer directly to the rules that answer this query, as thus far I've not actually found near anything indicating anything.

upho
2019-04-29, 12:40 AM
A80: There are no explicit rules regulating rider vs mount size relations. However, before higher levels (and plenty of Str bonuses), you'll find that a vast majority of listed Medium sized animal companions (and many other Medium creatures noted as potential mounts) don't have the Str to carry a Medium rider and equipment without encumbrance penalties.

Moreover, the rather heavily implied RAI is that the mount must typically be at least one size category larger than the rider, just as in 3.5. This implied RAI can for example be seen in the Undersized Mount (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/undersized-mount-combat/) feat.

Dimers
2019-05-04, 08:23 PM
Q 81 For purposes of interaction with other modifiers, is a concentration check:

a caster level check?
an ability score check?
both?
neither?

Like, if I get a morale bonus to ability checks, will it improve my concentration roll?

Psyren
2019-05-04, 08:26 PM
A81: It counts as both, if you have an ability or effect that modifies either.

Dimers
2019-05-05, 01:47 AM
Thankee. Q 82: Can a cleric fill domain spell slots with metamagicked domain spells of lower levels?

Cieyrin
2019-05-05, 07:55 AM
A 82 Yes. space

Calthropstu
2019-05-05, 08:16 PM
Q83: Gravebound witch uses command undead to gain an undead minion.

They then use posession to enter its body.

Another caster uses command undead on the posessed undead. What happens?

Psyren
2019-05-06, 01:02 AM
A83: It would work somewhat like using possession on a dominated living creature (or dominating a possessed one). I'm a bit tired to parse it at the moment, but the "Rules Interactions" (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/occult-adventures/occult-rules/magical-possession/) passage I've linked should help you or another respondent untangle it.

Blarghleargle
2019-05-07, 10:22 AM
Q84- Is there any way for a kineticist to increase their effective caster level for Unraveling Infusion's targeted dispel effect? Aside from halving the damage to get +2, that is.

Calthropstu
2019-05-07, 06:18 PM
A83: It would work somewhat like using possession on a dominated living creature (or dominating a possessed one). I'm a bit tired to parse it at the moment, but the "Rules Interactions" (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/occult-adventures/occult-rules/magical-possession/) passage I've linked should help you or another respondent untangle it.

Q83 addendum: I have read that and it does not address my main problem.

The gravewalker witch says it may possess a creature it controls. If the witch no longer controls the undead, can it maintain the possession?

Spore
2019-05-08, 04:36 AM
A83 addendum Wrestling for control on enchantments is usually done via rivaling charisma checks (that is RAI at least imho). But I'd say the topic is complex enough to be discussed in a separate thread.

See Charm Person (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/charm-person/):

The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do.

Of course you roll vs. the (actually helpless) target of the spell so my addition here is tangential at best.

Florian
2019-05-08, 05:17 AM
Q83 addendum: I have read that and it does not address my main problem.

The gravewalker witch says it may possess a creature it controls. If the witch no longer controls the undead, can it maintain the possession?

A83 addendum: There's no real RAW answer to this. Closest approximation is the death of the host body at the point you lose control as you negate the initial condition that grants control.

Selion
2019-05-08, 05:55 AM
Q85

Suppose you have a oracle 4, barbarian 2, rageprophet 4 character with the magical knack trait. Your base CL is 9, which is lower than your character level, so its fine.
When you use moment of clarity a rageprophet class feature adds your barbarian levels to your CL, would this bring your CL to 11 for that round?

grarrrg
2019-05-09, 07:01 AM
A85Yes.
Generally you get to choose order of effects. Magical Knack has a cap, but Rage Prophet does not, so you can choose to apply Knack first.

Psyren left this unanswered just to taunt me... Remember kids, friends don't let friends take levels in Rage Prophet!

Psyren
2019-05-09, 09:16 AM
A85Yes.
Generally you get to choose order of effects. Magical Knack has a cap, but Rage Prophet does not, so you can choose to apply Knack first.

Psyren left this unanswered just to taunt me... Remember kids, friends don't let friends take levels in Rage Prophet!

I do have a life, you know :smalltongue:

A85 Addendum: Note that PrCs that lose caster levels are much less of a problem now that Prestigious Spellcaster (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/prestigious-spellcaster/) exists. While a couple of feats are certainly more costly than a trait, you won't have any ambiguity about your caster level being able to exceed your HD that way.

heavyfuel
2019-05-11, 09:40 AM
Q 86

Can a Nightmare Dread use his terror when initiating a strike with a ranged weapon?

Relevant text:
At 2nd level, the nightmare gains the ability to channel a terror through his strikes. Once per round as a free action, the nightmare can channel a terror through his weapon when initiating a strike or using his devastating touch class feature against a creature he has Claimed.

Cieyrin
2019-05-11, 10:14 AM
A 86 As long as it's a strike whose range isn't melee only, like Ego-Wounding Strike, then yes.

heavyfuel
2019-05-14, 09:04 PM
Q87

Do Firearms automatically pierce DR?

Damage Reduction does not negate touch attacks

When firing an early firearm, the attack resolves against the target’s touch AC when the target is within the first range increment of the weapon, but this type of attack is not considered a touch attack for the purposes of feats and abilities such as Deadly Aim.

"abilities such as Deadly Aim" is confusing. What other ability could they be talking about? Is DR one such ability?

Thanks!

Cieyrin
2019-05-15, 04:57 PM
A 87 Damage Reduction is an ability some creatures possess. The section on firearm penetration range says firearms are not considered touch attacks for ability interaction purposes, just that they check against touch AC within certain ranges. Thus, firearms must contend with damage reduction like any other weapon.
This doesn't seem to be the first time this pair of rules has come up and there doesn't appear to be a FAQ or other official ruling that can be easily found to clarify, so you may have table variance on this. The intent of the note for damage reduction (which that sentence only appears in the Core Rulebook and not the Bestiary entry for Damage Reduction) is so casters, like clerics, don't have to punch through DR to deliver spells, harmful or otherwise, to such creatures, as otherwise you'd have situations where Barbarians of 7th level or higher were immune to Cure Light Wounds and its bigger brothers for the fact of having DR 1/-.

The Kool
2019-05-17, 02:16 PM
Q88

The Air Kineticist has an infusion known as Gusting Infusion. The wording of this is very vague and unclear, so I see several possibilities for how it interacts with anything that changes the form of the infusion. For this question, I will avoid any AoE forms, as that seems to me to be a bit more complex of a discussion.

a. Gusting Infusion and Air's Reach, Extended Range, or Extreme Range. Does it:
a1. Create a Gust, as the spell, that affects the target only
a2. Create a Gust, as the spell, with the 60ft range that the spell has, in the direction of the blast
a3. Create a Gust, as the spell, that affects the entire length "to the extreme of the range" of the blast, be it 30ft, 120ft, 480ft, etc
a4. Create a Gust, as the spell, that affects the entire length between you and the target

b. Gusting Infusion and Snake: In the event of 2 or 3 above, does the Gust wind with the snake, or cut in a straight path between you and the target?

Aotrs Commander
2019-05-20, 09:03 AM
Q89:

For weapon size increases, using the FAQ progression -

(I.e 1, D2, D3, D4, D6, D8, D10, 2D6, 2D8, 3D6, 3D8, 4D6, 4D8, 6D6, 6D8, 8D6, 8D8, 12D6, 12D8, 16D6)

- would you treat each size increment seperately, i.e do one step at a time?

Specifically, it says if the initial size is small or small, you only increase by one step.

So, if you (an admittedly unusual case) where you had something increase two or more size categories (making a halfling Large), would you do the small=> medium as one step and the medium => to large another? So, for instance, your theothetical halfling's greatsword (D10) goes to 2D6, then two steps (because the initial size for this increase is now medium) to 2D6? (As opposed to just going to two steps from D10 to 2D8?)

I am surmising that is the way it would be supposed to work (and it is a bit of niche case, since small and lower creature's weapons tend not get much above the D6/D8 one-step boundary conditions).

(I'm currently compiling a DM's screen for myself and trying to get this information represented in a more graphical fashion with two columns for the D6 verses D8 progression, so I want to get this right!)

upho
2019-05-21, 08:24 PM
A 89: Yes, you are correct. (This can also be seen in the weapon and natural attack tables in the CRB and Bestiary.) So if you for example are a Tiny sized Pixie wielding a greatsword designed for your size, it has a 1d8 damage die, and for example:

If somebody casts enlarge person (pretending this actually works on pixies) on you and make you Small, your sword's damage die also increases to 1d10 (one step).
If you, while Small, cast lead blades on your sword, its damage die increases from 1d10 to 2d6 (one step).
If you instead manifest metamorphosis to make yourself Medium, your swords damage die also increases from 1d8 to 2d6 (two steps).
If you, while Medium, also cast lead blades on your sword, its damage die instead increases from 2d6 to 3d6 (two steps).
If you, while Medium, instead wield a modified Versatile Design (monk weapon group) greatsword with Ascetic Style and cast strong jaw, the sword's damage die instead increases from 2d6 to 4d6 (four steps).

Elvensilver
2019-05-22, 02:55 AM
Q90
The rule for the bard's Versatile Performance:

He can use his bonus in that skill in place of his bonus in associated skills. When substituting in this way, the bard uses his total Perform skill bonus, including class skill bonus, in place of its associated skill's bonus,[...]

So, my questions is: are any bonuses, that come from enchanted/masterwork instruments also added to this? While they obviously are part of the total performance skill bonus you logicaly can't apply this bonus while not using the instrument at hand. On the other hand: it could be magic, it doesn't have to follow logic...

upho
2019-05-22, 06:39 AM
A 90 A bard using Versatile Performance has a total skill bonus equal to that of the replacing Perform skill, including any instruments. And I believe there's rarely (if ever) any need to worry about the fluff implications, since a bard usually does actually play their instrument when using Versatile Performance also in-game. Meaning they are typically replacing the normal skill use with an actual performance also fluff-wise. (Example: instead of using Diplomacy to convince the king to send his armies to the neighboring country's aid, the bard plays an old well-known song about great good deeds on his flute, moving the king to tears.)

EDIT: If a bard doesn't play their instrument when using Versatile Performance, they will of course not get its Perform bonus. /EDIT

Psyren
2019-05-22, 11:04 AM
A90: Yes, the point of Versatile Performance is that you're actually doing the performance instead of whatever the associated skill is. This why the skills for each type of performance are related (e.g. Dance and Acrobatics). Because you're doing the performance, your instrument bonus - if there is one for that performance - helps.

So when you're doing Versatile Performance (Handle Animal) for instance, yes, you're actually blowing your flute like a snake charmer the whole time.

heavyfuel
2019-05-26, 07:37 AM
Q 91

How do Emanations centered in a point in space interact with ships/boats? If "Zone of Truth" is cast on the deck of a ship, is the emanation left behind as the vehicle moves forward? Or does it move along with it? Thanks!

upho
2019-05-26, 10:50 AM
A 91 Strictly according to RAW, zone of truth wouldn't move with the ship. However, this is of course most likely not intended, and there are rules for several other spells (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/ship-combat/spell-effects-in-naval-combat/) which GMs are encouraged to use as guidelines also for similar spells and similar large vehicles not specifically detailed in these naval combat rules.

TL/DR: Ask your GM, but zone of truth should move with a ship if going by the RAW for similar spells.

(FWIW, I'd personally definitely rule that zone of truth and similar moves with a ship, meaning the spell is "anchored" to the ship's deck rather than the usual more static geographic location.)

Serarya
2019-05-27, 06:58 AM
Q92
How can I identify someones race ingame? For example if another player plays a dhampyr (not trying to hide it, but as far as I did understand a dhampyr appears aa human), how are you able to recognize this?

upho
2019-05-27, 08:32 AM
A 91 Identifying a humanoid such as a dhampir is a Knowledge (local) "monster lore" skill check (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/knowledge), other playable creature types require other types of Knowledge checks, as normal (such as planes for an aasimar or tiefling).

Note that it's usually easy to identify PC races, since they don't have CR, and depending on your setting, your PC's background and your GM, you may of course be able to identify several races without a skill check. For example in Golarion, the identifying features of a human, elf or halfling are known by most people, regardless of their Knowledge (local) ranks.

Cieyrin
2019-05-28, 08:20 AM
Q 93 What's the difference between the Warpriest and Swashbuckler when it comes to when they're considered Fighters? Are Swashbuckler levels treated as Fighter levels only when they get Bonus Feats or all the time? If a Swashbuckler trades their Bonus Feats feature away, do they stop being treated as Fighters for feat qualifying purposes?

Q 94 Does Musketeer's Sidestep (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Musketeer%27s%20Sidestep ) replace the Cha bonus to AC with +2 or increase it by +2? The feat granting a +2 Dodge normally stacks with other Dodge bonuses, so it just granting an extra +2 makes sense in a way.

OgresAreCute
2019-05-28, 02:03 PM
Q 95 Does the See in Darkness universal monster ability allow you to always see perfectly in darkness, regardless of distance? From the wording, it does seem like it, but for example Outer Dragons also have Darkvision with a specified range. Is this just a redundancy, or does See in Darkness only penetrate magical darkness out to a maximum of your normal darkvision?

Psyren
2019-05-28, 02:22 PM
A92 addendum: If the dhampir "isn't trying to hide it," then it's a straight knowledge check - while they look human, there are enough differences (unnatural grace, skin tone, incisor length) that they would need to attempt a Disguise check to truly appear human.

A93a: As written, Swashbuckler counts for all feats, Warpriest counts for its bonus feats. Retraining makes this largely academic as long as you don't exceed your allotment however.

A93b: I'm not aware of any archetypes that trade away Swashbuckler bonus feats so this one might be a moot point.

A94: It's an increase - it doesn't remove the base ability, and dodge bonuses stack.

A95: See in Darkness works as far as you can see ("see perfectly") unless specified otherwise, so no maximum range. As for why a creature would have SiD + Darkvision, one is Su and one is Ex, so it can be useful to have both in limited circumstances. (Dragons simply get darkvision from their race anyway.)

Dimers
2019-05-28, 07:42 PM
Q 96 Does variant multiclassing into a caster class let you use wands as if you could cast that class's spells?

Psyren
2019-05-28, 08:18 PM
A96: As written, you gain class features as though you were a member of the secondary class, but you aren't actually that class. As with all things Unchained though, it's very encouraging of table variation.

heavyfuel
2019-06-04, 08:37 AM
Q 97

Does a character know he's been targeted by a spell that offers no Saving Throw?

Eg: A Wizard casts Still Silent Dispel Magic on a Cleric currently being affected by Protection from Evil. The Cleric doesn't get a Spellcraft check to identify the Dispel Magic since there are no components. Assuming the Dispel succeeds, does the Cleric KNOW the spell is gone?

Psyren
2019-06-04, 03:06 PM
Q 97

Does a character know he's been targeted by a spell that offers no Saving Throw?

Eg: A Wizard casts Still Silent Dispel Magic on a Cleric currently being affected by Protection from Evil. The Cleric doesn't get a Spellcraft check to identify the Dispel Magic since there are no components. Assuming the Dispel succeeds, does the Cleric KNOW the spell is gone?

A97: The bold part is not actually accurate; in Pathfinder, even spells/SLAs with no components carry obvious magical effects (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9tza) (e.g. a lightshow) of some kind that can be detected. Your caster must use an ability like Conceal Spell or Cunning Caster to hide it, and even then, all hiding it will do is keep them from knowing the source; the effect itself should still be noticeable and a spellcraft check would still be possible. (Or if the ability does allow hiding the effect and the source, the ability will tell you how to handle that.)

heavyfuel
2019-06-04, 05:27 PM
A97: The bold part is not actually accurate; in Pathfinder, even spells/SLAs with no components carry obvious magical effects (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9tza) (e.g. a lightshow) of some kind that can be detected. Your caster must use an ability like Conceal Spell or Cunning Caster to hide it, and even then, all hiding it will do is keep them from knowing the source; the effect itself should still be noticeable and a spellcraft check would still be possible. (Or if the ability does allow hiding the effect and the source, the ability will tell you how to handle that.)

Q 97 - Cont

OK, so let's say the Cleric is blind, deaf, and not trained in Spellcraft. Does he still know he got hit by a Dispel Magic?

Psyren
2019-06-04, 05:46 PM
Q 97 - Cont

OK, so let's say the Cleric is blind, deaf, and not trained in Spellcraft. Does he still know he got hit by a Dispel Magic?

Unclear by current RAW, much like 3.5.

Two things to note however:

1) Sauce for the PCs is sauce for the NPCs - a player who uses undetectable dispels to discreetly strip buffs probably shouldn't be upset if NPCs do the same to the party.
2) The likely result of such tactics becoming commonplace is that everyone starts running around with permanent Arcane Sight or the like, and then constantly telling the GM "I check my buffs again!"

Zurambas
2019-06-05, 01:12 PM
Even if a character is not trained in Spellcraft, Prot. Evil, as mentioned already, has an obvious magical effect. Likely some sort of bubble. And, it may also depend on how the DM views magic. In a lot of fantasy, if a caster's spell is disrupted or terminated by external means, they feel it physically, even if they're blinded and deafened. Sometimes, the disruption can even cause internal hemorrhaging or death, especially if the caster of the disrupting spell is much stronger than the one who cast the spell being disrupted.

Segev
2019-06-12, 02:18 PM
Q 98: Some creatures list poison as having the save DC be Constitution-based, and others don't list what the save DC is based on. (e.g. the Greensting Scorpion (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/scorpion/scorpion-greensting), which does say it's Con-based, and the House Centipede (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/centipede/centipede-house), which says nothing about what the save DC is based on.) Is it valid to assume that the save DC is just fixed for those who say nothing of it, or is it more appropriate to assume that they're all Con-based unless they specify otherwise?

Psyren
2019-06-12, 03:18 PM
A98: Poisons default to 10+½HD+Con unless otherwise stated, per Bestiary 302.

Segev
2019-06-12, 08:05 PM
A98: Poisons default to 10+½HD+Con unless otherwise stated, per Bestiary 302.

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if there was a blanket rule, nor what it was. That answers my question.

Segev
2019-06-16, 01:24 PM
Q99: Does an Occultist’s mental focus come undone when he rests for 8 hours automatically, or does it stay invested until he reinvests it?

This came up with one who got knocked out and locked up and stripped of his gear. He recovered his gear later, and I played it as having to take the hour to reinvest. But should I have let myself say his investments were still there as soon as he got the items he’d previously invested? (I was playing the character, so I took the more restrictive approach at the time, but I’m wondering now if I should have recovery of his implements restore resonant powers and any unspent focus even though he qualifies for refocusing due to how long he was out.)

Powerdork
2019-06-18, 05:29 PM
[A concentration check] counts as both [an ability check and a caster level check], if you have an ability or effect that modifies either.

Whoa, when did this become the case? I see nothing in the CRB supporting that. It's a d20 roll that adds two values you have. Is an attack roll an ability check because you add your Strength modifier?

upho
2019-06-21, 06:55 AM
A 99 a Yes, mental focus points are automatically refreshed and any previously invested points are lost after each day. Mental Focus says (my emphasis):

"An occultist has a number of points of mental focus equal to his occultist level + his Intelligence (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores#TOC-Intelligence-Int-) modifier; these points refresh each day."

Note that by default, any and all points are refreshed and thus have to be invested anew. This is regardless of whether you are in possession of any implements or whether you had invested points in any implements before you rested.

A 99 b All focus points invested in an implement are lost the moment the implement is lost. In detail, Mental Focus says:

"If an implement is lost or destroyed, the focus invested in it is lost as well, though the occultist still refreshes those points of focus normally."

The rules make no mention of these lost invested focus points being regained or remaining invested should the lost implement be returned. So the points invested in the lost and regained implement remain lost until refreshed after resting as per above, just as if the points had been spent on activating focus powers.

Note however that until you rest and your focus points are refreshed, the implement's resonant power remains active and is granted to whomever possesses the implement. Although if you lend the implement to an ally rather than lose it to an enemy, the points invested are still available to you should you take back the implement before resting.

So in the scenario you describe, it appears you played it according to the rules. That is of course provided you, when you invested in your implements after finding them, actually still had focus points not already spent or previously invested and thus lost with your implements. If you hadn't rested between losing and regaining your implements, the implements would've immediately granted you the resonant powers active at the moment you lost them. And if you had rested, those resonant powers would've already been automatically deactivated after your rest (and potentially reactivated once you had invested focus in the implements again).

Zhentarim
2019-06-24, 03:26 PM
Q100 Would a Spell Sage Wizard with Bonded Item from Eldritch Heritage (Arcane Bloodline) effectively gain back the bonded item he traded away for the spell sage archetype?

Q100 Would a Spell Sage Wizard with Bonded Item from Eldritch Heritage (Arcane Bloodline) effectively gain back the bonded item he traded away for the spell sage archetype?

Cieyrin
2019-06-24, 05:55 PM
A 100 Yes.

Rhazal
2019-06-26, 04:02 AM
Q101 If a charging/pouncing character uses an immediate action against an AoO he triggered with his movement (for example casting Wave Shield or Windy Escape), can he continue his movement and (full)attack normally afterwards?

Cieyrin
2019-06-26, 05:44 AM
A 101 An immediate action will not abruptly end a charge, as long as it doesn't violate the charge's requirements to work. For example, a Swashbuckler who charges could Parry and Riposte during a charge from an AoO she provoked against a a creature with reach she's charging and then complete the charge.

upho
2019-06-26, 06:01 AM
A 101 Yes. Immediate actions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/Combat/#TOC-Immediate-Actions) can be taken at any time the appropriate trigger happens (if any), during your own turn or outside of it, and doing so doesn't affect other actions (except of course in the rare case the immediate action results in a situation which prevents another action from being taken/completed). So casting for example Wave Shield in response to an AoO while charging is in many ways the same as taking a swift action while charging, and neither action affects your charge special full round action. Note also that any actions you take in the middle of another action remain their own separate actions. This means for example that any AoOs you make while charging don't gain the charge action's +2 bonus to the attack roll, since the AoOs aren't part of the charge action.

EDIT: Ouch! Stalker'ed by Cieryn. That's what I get for leaving in the middle of posting... /EDIT

Zhentarim
2019-07-01, 12:19 PM
Q102 If a spell sage wizard with at least 13 cha uses Skill Focus (Religion) and Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) to gain a thrush familiar, then they use their “spell study” ability to duplicate a spell like “breath of life”, can the thrush familiar hold that spell and deliver it to a fallen ally?

Q103 In the meantime, could such a wizard use scrolls and wands to still contribute to the fight without losing the spell the familiar is holding?

Q104 If this was a clockwork familiar with a wand installed instead of a thrush, could the clockwork familiar still shoot globs of acid at foes without losing the spell?

Q105 Do clockwork familiars with a wand installment deal acid damage to foes?

Cieyrin
2019-07-01, 02:15 PM
A 102 Yes.

A 103 Scrolls, no, as you're still casting a spell, which would cause the spell you're holding to dissipitate, even if it's the familiar holding the charge. Wands don't require spellcasting, so yes.

A 104 Yes, spitting acid isn't spellcasting.

A 105 Outside their acid spitting, no.

Q 106 Does the damage increases from Shikigami Style (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Shikigami%20Style) and Improvised Weapon Mastery (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Improvised%20Weapon%20Ma stery) stack?

Zhentarim
2019-07-01, 09:16 PM
Q107 Can a tiefling wizard with claws from the “maw or claw” racial trait have one of their claws be their bonded object? They technically are weapons, right? And you are holding your claws in your hand, so that’s satisfied, too. Something feels off about this, though.

upho
2019-07-01, 09:17 PM
A 106 No, the related FAQ (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9t5u) clearly puts anything which increases your weapon damage die size according to the related die size tables (without also increasing your actual size) in the same "Effective Size Increases"-category of non-stacking benefits.

Psyren
2019-07-02, 12:10 AM
A107: While a natural weapon is indeed a weapon, it's not actually an "object." I'd instead recommend (if you intend to use your claws/bite regularly) to pick an amulet to be your bonded object, and then use it to create an Amulet of Mighty Fists, which you can do without needing any crafting feats.

Zhentarim
2019-07-02, 01:32 AM
A107: While a natural weapon is indeed a weapon, it's not actually an "object." I'd instead recommend (if you intend to use your claws/bite regularly) to pick an amulet to be your bonded object, and then use it to create an Amulet of Mighty Fists, which you can do without needing any crafting feats.

Speaking of which, I could do a half-orc (counts as both human and orc) and take racial heritage (catfolk) and have 3 natural attacks at level 3 (or 5 if I keep orc ferocity and get the orc bite through a feat). Catfolk exemplar is how I’d get the claws. Since melee for a wizard is pretty much an option of last resort, I’m not sure if I’d rather spend 2 feats but lose an extra round of consciousness when my hp is sub 0 or just burn the 3 feats. I’d probably also take eldritch heritage to get a spiffy clockwork familiar by level 9...so I’d conserve feats. It turns out RAW, you cannot have both an arcane bond and a familiar, but you may have two arcane bonds (like voldemort). All of the above would make my feat selection look a bit like

Use toothy half-orc variant to gain bite attack
First Bonded Object is an Amulet
lvl 1: racial heritage (catfolk)
lvl 3: catfolk exemplar (claws)
lvl 5: skill focus (religion)
lvl 7: eldritch heritage (arcane) (Get ring bonded object)
lvl 9: Magical Epiphany