PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mid Level Caster Advice VS Multiple Rakshasa

draaen
2018-10-16, 08:54 AM
So I am in a Tal'dorei campaign where the DM has included A Rakshasa as a recurring monster which shows up in pairs or threes. We've been fighting them since about level 5 if I remember correctly and currently are level 10. My character is a Runechild Sorceror (lvl 8) and Hexblade Warlock (Lvl 2). The reason for the build was my stat profile I rolled was pretty abysmal at 13,12,10,7,7,7. So everything in here is very defensive and tries to leverage my one decent stat which I put into charisma and took the actor feat with the human variant. With my two stat ups I took lucky (to get to use a legendary magic item) and then a custom feat which lets me apply hex damage on my magic missiles. With that and her spell selection being around manipulation it's made a surprisingly effective character.

Except against Rakshasa bishops. Our party is comprised of a fighter, a cleric, a rogue and an artificer with no beast. The way the fights usually start are the Rakshasa take over our fighter who has a terrible wisdom save and I try to cast dispel magic on him. Which is hardly guaranteed since I have no 5th level spell slots and my int is 7.

I can get in close and fight against the Rakshasa so I suppose I could quicken a dispel magic and take the aid another action to give the rogue advantage but with no spells that can affect him directly and encountering them every other fight it has got me thinking about other ways to deal with him. Because burning through my level 3 spell slots and lucky points to have a low chance of removing a dominate effect and then doing nothing is not ideal. So any advice from people who may have been in a similar situation.

I have mentioned to the DM it's a bad play experience but he still seems to love them so I don't expect a change there. Other then the hordes of Rakshasa being immune to the things I can do the campaign is pretty good so I want to try to find creative solutions to the problem. The encounters usually start by we hear a pop and the enemies appear so getting the drop on the Rakshasas is pretty near impossible.

draaen
2018-10-16, 03:55 PM
I realized from looking at another thread I should have this in the 5e subfolder. Could a mod please lock this or move the thread?

redwizard007
2018-10-17, 07:28 PM
Would Protection from Evil not solve all your problems?

Bulhakov
2018-10-18, 08:21 AM
Summons, buffs, dispels. I'm not sure about the rules, but even though they are immune to nonmagical dmg, can they be grappled? Can you polymorph into a gorilla and try to immobilize them?