PDA

View Full Version : monk/cleric advice

Xaryo
2018-10-16, 01:10 PM
my character (sun soul monk 7/light cleric 2 aasimar protector) (i know i went all out on the light)

should i go for cleric 3 and get more spells or monk 8 to get ASI?

im currently at dex 16 and wis 16 which one should be boosted first?

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-16, 01:17 PM
my character (sun soul monk 7/light cleric 2 aasimar protector) (i know i went all out on the light)

should i go for cleric 3 and get more spells or monk 8 to get ASI?

im currently at dex 16 and wis 16 which one should be boosted first?

This is actually a pretty tough decision.

Cleric 3 would get you level 2 spells. Monk 8 would get you another ki point, boost the max level of your Burning Hands (up to spending 4 ki points per blast), and get you the ASI.

Because of the fact that your Cleric abilities scale heavily with Wisdom, your AC gets boosted from Wisdom, and your Burning Hands is using your Wisdom score for the saves, I'd go with boosting your Wisdom to 18 by going Monk 8.

However, if fights are taking a long time, or you're going through a lot of resources in a day, upping your Dexterity will improve your Sun Soul bolts, which are very sustainable, while still improving your AC.

So I'd say it comes down to whether you're having 4 or more fights in a day. If 4 or more, go Dex. If 3 or less, go Wis. If you're about 50/50, go with Wisdom.

Millface
2018-10-16, 01:27 PM
For me it would depend on how fast you're leveling up.

You can go Monk 8, then Cleric to 4 to get an ASI quicker. Or Take Cleric up to 4, then Monk to 8 for 2nd level spells quicker.

I'd do Cleric first if you level relatively quickly, and Monk first if it's a slower roll.

Xaryo
2018-10-16, 02:38 PM
i think i'll go with monk 8. i get more goodies overall by getting my wis to 18. Moreover, RP-wise, it makes more senses.