PDA

View Full Version : Tritons, webbed hands and gloves

MightyDuck
2018-10-16, 02:49 PM
This is a bit of a weird topic but I think it bares discussion. I'm currently playing a Triton Sorcerer and was planning on using a glove as their spell casting focus but i noticed that in the official art Triton's have webbed hands and feet, which means that they can't wear gloves. This may just seem like a flavor issue and not really effect much but considering that magic items can come in the form of gloves it would stand to reason that a Triton wouldn't be able to use them, which could be really annoying. I've worked around this by having my character cutting off the webbing to appear more human (thus using the glove to cover the scars) but not everyone is gonna want to have to do that just to wear gloves. I dunno, what do you guys think, or am I just over thinking a trivial detail?!

dejarnjc
2018-10-16, 02:56 PM
This is a bit of a weird topic but I think it bares discussion. I'm currently playing a Triton Sorcerer and was planning on using a glove as their spell casting focus but i noticed that in the official art Triton's have webbed hands and feet, which means that they can't wear gloves. This may just seem like a flavor issue and not really effect much but considering that magic items can come in the form of gloves it would stand to reason that a Triton wouldn't be able to use them, which could be really annoying. I've worked around this by having my character cutting off the webbing to appear more human (thus using the glove to cover the scars) but not everyone is gonna want to have to do that just to wear gloves. I dunno, what do you guys think, or am I just over thinking a trivial detail?!

If a Goliath can wear halfling sized gloves then a Triton can wear normal humanoid gloves too. They're magic, they re-shape to fit the wearer.

Corpsecandle717
2018-10-16, 03:05 PM
I think this is just one of those things that there's some hand-waving and mumbling about then people just ignore it and move on. If the game had intended for Tritons to have issues with gloves and rings it would have been called out in their description, and since it's not, I don't think there's any value in worrying over it.

If it's one of those things that a DM gets hung up on you could do what our table did a create a custom spell that allows you to transfer enchantments from one item to another similar item (weapon to weapon, wondrous item to ponderous item, etc) for a GP cost. All transfers are subject to DM approval. If that doesn't work it should be possible to find someone who can alter magic items without destroying them. If the DM pushes it beyond that I think you'd be unlikely to come up with anything that satisfies them.

Pelle
2018-10-16, 03:06 PM
Get magic mittens instead.

MightyDuck
2018-10-16, 03:13 PM
I think this is just one of those things that there's some hand-waving and mumbling about then people just ignore it and move on. If the game had intended for Tritons to have issues with gloves and rings it would have been called out in their description, and since it's not, I don't think there's any value in worrying over it.

If it's one of those things that a DM gets hung up on you could do what our table did a create a custom spell that allows you to transfer enchantments from one item to another similar item (weapon to weapon, wondrous item to ponderous item, etc) for a GP cost. All transfers are subject to DM approval. If that doesn't work it should be possible to find someone who can alter magic items without destroying them. If the DM pushes it beyond that I think you'd be unlikely to come up with anything that satisfies them.

Oh, I know its not a mechanical issue and my DM didn't have any issue with it, its more an RP issue. While mechanically Triton's can wear gloves and rings it doesn't really make sense for them to be able to do so.

Sigreid
2018-10-16, 03:39 PM
Oh, I know its not a mechanical issue and my DM didn't have any issue with it, its more an RP issue. While mechanically Triton's can wear gloves and rings it doesn't really make sense for them to be able to do so.

I think gloves made for people with webbed fingers would just have the join between the fingers higher to accommodate. It wouldn't affect your manual dexterity because you're already used to having a connection between the fingers.

Corpsecandle717
2018-10-16, 03:41 PM
Ah well then I'd wonder, is the webbing always taught? It looks like on frogs, while the webbing is there it's loose until the digits are fully extended or have water flowing through them. I'd figure a Triton could push a ring passed the first knuckle, but yeah gloves would always be an issue. If I were to play a Triton I'd definitely make deal out of it. "

Triton: "Hold on, I've go to put on my gloves"
Human: "What? Why aren't you wearing them?"
Triton eye balls the human, "Lets tie all YOUR fingers together for a day and see how you like it. 5 gold says you don't make it to lunch"

JackPhoenix
2018-10-16, 04:10 PM
Fingerless gloves are a thing, gloves with slits along the fingers to allow for webbing wouldn't be that weird. Rings are bigger problem, but... not all rings are worn on fingers (certain sketch with Jack Black and the One Ring comes to mind...)

DeTess
2018-10-16, 04:14 PM
yeah, for the rings issue, I'd just have the triton use them as ear-rings or whatever.

As for gloves, you can probably alter them to accommodate webbing, by for example having slits along the finger-bits that the webbing can fit through.

NaughtyTiger
2018-10-16, 04:54 PM
Abe Sapien wears gloves.

Naanomi
2018-10-16, 05:15 PM
Of your GM is allowing a glove as a spell casting focus to begin with they arn’t likely to be sticklers for that sort of rules adherence stuff, just turn rings into bracelets or something

Kadesh
2018-10-16, 05:55 PM
Fingerless gloves are a thing, gloves with slits along the fingers to allow for webbing wouldn't be that weird. Rings are bigger problem, but... not all rings are worn on fingers (certain sketch with Jack Black and the One Ring comes to mind...)
I was in a game where a chronically naked barbarian dwarf got a ring of feather fall, and would windmill to keep himself aloft.