PDA

View Full Version : 2012

Thrivol
2007-09-17, 09:08 PM
December 21, 2012. Surely, if you have used the Internet for a time, you have heard of it. If you haven't, Google it.

Anyways, what are your predictions about 2012?

ForzaFiori
2007-09-17, 09:11 PM
I think the mayans just got tired of making a freaking calender.

i mean, it was in like 1000 AD.

if i made a calender for 1012 years in the future, eventually i'd be like "u know what? just screw it." too.

Indon
2007-09-17, 09:13 PM
2012 is the end of the Mayan calendrical era; much like our year 2000 turning over to 2001.

It's also 100 years before soviets will rule the earth, supressing all guitar music.

Jack Squat
2007-09-17, 09:14 PM
Mutant alien hamsters will come down from the skys and enslave the cheeses of the world. First they'll start with Cheddar, and work their way down to the softer cheeses, as they can't do as much work.

did you expect a serious answer?

EDIT which the above obviously supplied, so why are you still reading this?

Jade_Tarem
2007-09-17, 09:20 PM
Nah, read Penny Aracade. The year 2012 is the year when the cyber chimps revolt, ushering in a new ice age.

Or conversely, Dr. Wily's takeover occurs in 200x. So sometime in the next two years, 6 "Robot Masters" will be created with advanced AI and thematic abilities, and will rebel and take over 6 key instalations around the planet, holding the world in a grip of terror. Fear not, however, because we will be rescued by a small blue robot kid with the ability to teleport and absorb thier powers...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-17, 09:22 PM
I predict that there will be a Presidential election (American) in 2012.

Reinboom
2007-09-17, 09:22 PM
There is also the coming war of 2012, of which conan o'brien will lose his long legs.

To average joe below: Awww, free help. <3 Thank you.

averagejoe
2007-09-17, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm, I never noticed before, but that's the year when my plans will come to fruition. Well, cool. I take that as a good sign, even if it is just coincidence.

To any superheroes reading this, I'm referring to plans to help kittens. Yes, that's it. Kittens.

Ranis
2007-09-17, 09:29 PM
It's also 100 years before soviets will rule the earth, supressing all guitar music.

You, sir, just earned yourself fifteen cool points.

Thrivol
2007-09-17, 09:33 PM
Nah, read Penny Aracade. The year 2012 is the year when the cyber chimps revolt, ushering in a new ice age.

Or conversely, Dr. Wily's takeover occurs in 200x. So sometime in the next two years, 6 "Robot Masters" will be created with advanced AI and thematic abilities, and will rebel and take over 6 key instalations around the planet, holding the world in a grip of terror. Fear not, however, because we will be rescued by a small blue robot kid with the ability to teleport and absorb thier powers...

:smallbiggrin: Cyber chimps indeed. I say start destroying them now.

LordVader
2007-09-17, 09:36 PM
Or instead, we could cultivate dissenssion among them so when their leaders begin the uprising, they instead turn upon the rebels, thus saving the human race.:smallamused:

dsuursoo
2007-09-17, 10:05 PM
balloons will fall from the sky in 2012. sort of a 'mazel tov!' from the universe.

hell, maybe it's a happy birthday solar system?

Pyro
2007-09-17, 10:06 PM
Thats interesting, I'm the class of 2012. The day I graduate from highschool will surely signal the start of the apocalypse. I always knew I'd have a hand in it.A cookie to anyone who gets the semi Futurama quote!

SurlySeraph
2007-09-17, 10:08 PM
I'm big on apocalyptic prophecies and eschatology in general. I believe the original prediction is that the world will be destroyed by earthquakes on that date. As for what's actually going to happen? We'll know when we get there. I myself plan to be in my enormous blimp with a twelve-year food supply at the time. :smallwink:

reorith
2007-09-17, 11:15 PM
2012 will be a lot like matheson's i am legend except it'll be in 2012 instead of 19whatever. vampires will sleep during the day and slaughter the survivors of the plague by night.

Youngblood
2007-09-18, 12:04 AM
If you go by mesoamerican mythology, the world ends in a cataclysmic disaster and is recreated every time the calendar reaches the end of the cycle, usually because humans have somehow screwed things up. This has happened either three times or four times already, depending on which myth system you go with. The most common myth cycle has it that the people of the First World were created from mud, but they lacked the intellect to remember how to venerate the gods as well as physical hardiness so they were blown away in a whirlwind or turned into monkeys depending on the story. The people of the Second World were created from wood, but they were essentially soulless and therefor started disrespecting the earth among other "bad things" so they were destroyed by a combination of their own technology and a rain of fire. The people of the Third World were made of corn meal, which seemed to be the right choice, but after awhile they started fighting each other and the gods sent a flood to cover the earth for 50 years. The people of the Fourth World, which incidentally was supposed to have begun around 3115 BC, were made from the remains of the Third Worlders and the Popul Vuh predicts that this time around a combination of a gigantic earthquake and global war will finish us off.

If you ignore the fantastic aspects, I think there's actually a pretty good point here: don't screw up the earth and be nice to each other, or else.

So, party like it's December 20th, 2012, people. :smallwink:

Ashtar
2007-09-18, 02:28 AM
I prefer 2038 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem)... but that's because I'm a geek.

Serpentine
2007-09-18, 04:48 AM
It'll be Y2K all over again. It'll tick over into 2012, and all the stone engravings across the world will simultaneously reset to the First World, causing havoc among stone-age cultures, archaeologists and naked mole-rats everywhere. It will be pandemonium! Start stocking up on your essentials - like chisels and ochre - now, before it's too late!

Pepz
2007-09-18, 05:13 AM
the world is gonna restart again?!?! :smallannoyed: I really hated being on that ship for 50 years, and let me just say, those tree-people before that really weren't the most eloquent of species :smallfrown: well, if the humans don't get their act together I'll have to get used to yet another couple of thousand years before I can read OotS :smallfrown: .....yeah those tree-people had that at least....got till #1000+ then, let's see how far you guys can go this time...:smallcool:

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 08:50 AM
hah. what's really funny, the folks who came up with the original calendar didn't make any predictions whatsoever. they just knew there'd be an alignment within the solar system, and said 'aight' and stopped counting.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-18, 08:55 AM
That'd be 9 years before I put my brain in a robot body.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-18, 09:21 AM
In all seriousness? The Mayan people thought they had to sacrifice a person by ripping their heart out every day or else the sun wouldn't rise the next day, and now people start believing they knew about the end of the world?

SERIOUSLY??????

Rex Idiotarum
2007-09-18, 09:42 AM
I predict that day will be the darkest of all days that year.

Serpentine
2007-09-18, 09:42 AM
I think you're mixing them up with the Aztecs. I don't think the Mayans were so bloodthirsty.

banjo1985
2007-09-18, 09:44 AM
I predict a long expected zombie apocolypse!

Either that or a Brit will actually win a sprint medal at the London olympics....nah on second thoughts lets stick with the zombies, not so far fetched :smallwink:

Terumitsu
2007-09-18, 09:55 AM
To be honest... Look at all the speculation here. There is a saying that if you belive something to be true, it will become so (within reason). I predict that it will just be another day unless this speculation of the approching date becomes a mob mentality that falls across the world... In that case... we get screwed for a few months and then get on with our lives.

Aizle
2007-09-18, 10:03 AM
No no no.

You all have it wrong. It's 2112. That's when the Temples of Syrinx finally get overthrown...

Sheesh. :smallwink:

Eldpollard
2007-09-18, 10:05 AM
In 2012 what will most likely happen is the London Olympics. Bad, I grant you but apocaliptical.

RTGoodman
2007-09-18, 10:11 AM
It'll be the exact same apocalypse that happened when the new millennium rolled around - absolutely nothing but a bunch of nuts freaking out. Of course, there could be a zombie invasion, an alien invasion, a government-created killer nano-robot infection that wipes out the human race (cookie for who gets the reference), or something like that.

Although, I do find it odd that, when you set a yearly reminder of an event on my cell phone, it refuses to add the reminder to the calender after the year 2012. So according to my cell phone, my last birthday is September 22nd, 2012.

Skippy
2007-09-18, 10:13 AM
I think you're mixing them up with the Aztecs. I don't think the Mayans were so bloodthirsty.

Yes, they were. Most of the tribes living here in Mexico were bloodthirsty. I think the Olmecs were the exception. But they "extincted" really fast anyway. Mayans were living mainly in the Yucatan Peninsula (sp?) while the Aztecs lived in the center of the country, where actually is located Mexico City. Besides, Aztecs sucked in astronomy, not as the mayans, who were the best astronomers there have ever been. But most of the tribes living in Mexico thought the best way to keep the gods happy was human sacrifice. That's why they raided nearby villages, to capture prisoners in order to have someone to sacrifice.

And they counted backwards. For them, the year 2012 wouldn't have been the end, but just the middle of time. (The Zero, the value right in the middle between minus infinite and infinite) So, after that, a New Era is supposed to begin. The count begins. I hope I was clear here... I tend to be a bit confusing sometimes...

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 10:24 AM
It'll be the exact same apocalypse that happened when the new millennium rolled around - absolutely nothing but a bunch of nuts freaking out. Of course, there could be a zombie invasion, an alien invasion, a government-created killer nano-robot infection that wipes out the human race (cookie for who gets the reference), or something like that.

Although, I do find it odd that, when you set a yearly reminder of an event on my cell phone, it refuses to add the reminder to the calender after the year 2012. So according to my cell phone, my last birthday is September 22nd, 2012.

hey! my birthday's the 22nd too!

sweet, we'll party it up right before the world ends.

Telonius
2007-09-18, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I've been planning this one for awhile. My birthday (exact time of birth: just after midnight on December 22nd) will signify the coming of a new age. :smallcool:

Thes Hunter
2007-09-18, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I've been planning this one for awhile. My birthday (exact time of birth: just after midnight on December 22nd) will signify the coming of a new age. :smallcool:

You MUST be the 3rd whatisface predicted by nostralonmus! :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-18, 12:18 PM
Olympic games in England anyone? well atleast on that year atleast if the world does end we get a good send off from the games, some of my school friends might even be in it running races and stuff, cant think of a better way to end the world hahaha :smallbiggrin:

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 02:19 PM
i know what will happen!

the mayan calendar will experience something similar to when ours ticked over in 2000.

just reset most of the numbers except the first, then move on with life. since the mayans devised the calendar partway through the cycle, they didn't understand that when the calendar comes to an end, you just flip to the next page.

silly primitives.

Om
2007-09-18, 02:23 PM
silly primitives.Yet amazingly these primitive societies did not waste billions in dealing with Y2K scares.

ufo
2007-09-18, 03:29 PM
Longcat will rise from the Atlantic Sea and destroy the whole of France, making it at small group of islands in the end. Before Longcat turns to Spain, Captain America will appear, fall into the water and drown. Longcat will fall over and die laughing, mashing Germany. The survivors of France, not realizing that Longcat is dead, will unleash their secret Nuke Arsenal, consisting of 2,000 Nuclear Warheads, upon the body of Longcat. The Scandinavian countries will take this as aggression and lauch their own nuclear warheads on the remains of France, destroying all but one person, Phillipé Survivoré. The nuclear fallout will affect Spain, who will launch their nuclear arsenal at Poland, for no apparent reason. Then ten thousand orcs will appear from caves in Poland and get mutated by the fallout.

Phillipé Survivoré will travel to Poland and battle the orcs, then use his Fallout Collector 3000 to create a mental bomb that explodes Spain and Algeria.

I've seen it.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-18, 04:02 PM
No no no.

You all have it wrong. It's 2112. That's when the Temples of Syrinx finally get overthrown...

Ooooh...What a Rush. :smallwink:

I'm gonna make my guess and go with Ragnarok. Yep...All worldly religions will be proven wrong in their beliefs, and only the Norse gods ever truly existed. While the gods and their Einherjar wages their final battle across the various planes of existence with the giants, Surtur will burn the world to ashes.

I'll be on a lonely set of bleachers at a high school somewhere, cheering, "Go Sif! Go Sif!" Norse goddess babes are hawt! :smallbiggrin:

Oh my...Did I just say "hawt"? Please kill me. Kill me now.

Cyrano
2007-09-18, 04:11 PM
I'd rahter kill you for the Rush pun, but meh, whatever I can get.

Indon
2007-09-18, 04:57 PM
No no no.

But we never know who they get overthrown by.

"Attention, all planets of the Solar Federation. We have assumed control. Henceforth, Disco is decreed No Longer Dead. *get down, get down*"

eidreff
2007-09-18, 05:01 PM
Hmm, maybe it will be like the last apocralypse. I was really looking forward to the washing machine running around the house and attacking the neighbours, my pc exploding and civilisation as we know it ending.

now i'm more cynical, I predict that a lot of fuss will build up peoples hopes and we will all get very drunk the night before to awake with a slight hangover and a vague feeling of disappointment.

Albub
2007-09-18, 05:14 PM
I'm not liking how bloodthirsty the Toltecan civilizations are being painted here. Sure, they killed people to keep the gods happy, but the Spaniards killed thousands during the Spanish inquisition, and look at the crusades. The Aztecs had a much better reason for doing it, because they thought they were keeping the world from ending. Doesn't justify it, but I'd say it makes it seem a bit better than the vicious anti semitism during the holocaust, or killing all those muslims because they lived on "holy ground" during the crusades. They were actually a fair bit nicer than most of Europe at the time. They had equal opportunities for education for both boys and girls, they were (I think) basically a democracy, with their emperor voted to power and a council to make sure the emperor never got out of hand, higher standards of cleanliness and better doctors, and a slew of other great things going for them. I liked the guys personally, thought they were great. I read somewhere that they even tried to kill as few people as possible during battle. They did kill them afterwards as a sacrifice, but that's beside the point. Or was it entirely the point?

Serpentine
2007-09-18, 11:13 PM
The Aztecs also used human sacrifice as a means of keeping conquered nations under their thumb - and they were conquerors, not just raiders. They were in the process of encircling and crushing a neighbouring nation when the Conquistadors turned up and got involved. What really bugs me, though, is that not long before Europeans arrived, Montezuma (either the one in power at that time or an earlier one) had all their historical documents destroyed and rewritten. All that fantastic history, gone! :smallmad:
The Mayans I've never heard as having such demanding gods... I'm not surprised that they still had human sacrifice, but daily? >scurries off to look them up<

dsuursoo, bit hard to flip to the next page when it's engraved on a solid slab of stone...

Skippy
2007-09-18, 11:55 PM
I don't think you'll find too much about the Mayans, since there are lots of things missing. We don't even know why they dissappeared! They just vanished in thin air, as far as I know. When the Spanish guys arrived here, they were gone...

Hell Puppi
2007-09-18, 11:58 PM
I always found it weird that time was supposed to end at 2012, and the Chinese calender states that year 2012 was year of the dragon...and dragon is another term for satan in the Bible....
then again maybe I read too damn much.

Serpentine
2007-09-19, 12:09 AM
The Mayans weren't completely gone when the Spaniards turned up, but the empire had crumbled enough that they didn't put up much of a fight.
Puppi, don't forget, though, that the Chinese dragon is very different from the European and Middle Eastern dragons, so I'm not sure whether it's really compatible with the satan-dragon.

Hell Puppi
2007-09-19, 12:11 AM
Indeed, I just found the connection amusing. I don't prescribe to any particular religion myself, so it's all just speculation and odd facts for me.

Reinboom
2007-09-19, 12:13 AM
I always found it weird that time was supposed to end at 2012, and the Chinese calender states that year 2012 was year of the dragon...and dragon is another term for satan in the Bible....
then again maybe I read too damn much.

A dragon is also a Seahorse. And I was born in the year of the dragon (and you KNOW cats are devious and evil, meow). And it's also the begin of winter, winter is metaphorical for death. And it has a direct correlation to the chinese calender because it's xx12, and the chine calendar goes in twelves. And it's also directly comparative to twelve because twelve is the last year for 'Pre-teen Violence', and the date is flipping - things that have a pattern 12-21-12 is obviously doomed. And is the birth day of the late Frank Zappa, a major name in rock, aka "that thar infernal hooligan music".

It really all makes sense. :smallwink:

blademaster42
2007-09-19, 06:55 AM
No no no. We all know about the huge technology boom, yes? Well, in 2012...
It ends. That's all that happens. The huge rate at which we're gaining these neat new things will flat out disappear. Alternatively, it's when the robots and computers turn on us.

Mushroom King
2007-09-19, 09:24 AM
In 2010, the Chinese go on a rapid camapin of expansion, invading Japan, Siberia, Mongolia, and moving on to America and Canada. North Korea, with Chinese backing, invades South Korea. Tibet senses the time is ripe for revolution, and with help from Nepal, launch a guerilla war to free their nation. India and Pakistan, seeing the world is too busy to keep them from killing eachother, begin using nukes to kill the others' citizens in massive numbers. meanwhile, in Europe, supernationalist leaders in Britain go on a campain to regain the British Empire's territorial gains and to "protect the British identity", invading Ireland, reinvading the recently seceeded Scotland, taking over Iceland to get its natural gas reserves, and launching invasions of France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, and areas of Africa.

By 2011, the Chinese have pushed into Alaska and the West Coast, and are approaching the US heartland. The wide expanses of Canada and the terrain and stubborn resistance in the Rockies is slowing them down, but their forces push through, reaching Iowa from Canada and sacking Chicago and making nreakthroughs in the Southeast to entrap forces in the southern rockies and work up through the mountains. In July of 2012, the forces of Mexico decide to lend support to the belaugered US, and send in troops to fight the Chinese out of Arizona, New Mexico, and the rest of the Southeast. In retailiation, China diverts a small amount fo the nukes its been raining down on Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Atlanta, and drops the Bomb on Mexico City and on areas of the Yucatan. Which explains why the Mayans thought the world ended in 2012. Because on the last day of 2012, a nuke gets dropped right on the center of the old Mayan civilization in the Yucatan.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-19, 09:40 AM
Serpentine, the Mayans weren't bloodthirsty, but they DID believe in human sacrifices. Believe me, I'm Mexican as well.

Though I did make the mistake of saying "ripping their heart out" when in reality they drowned their sacrifices in the "Cenote", believing it was the portal to the next world. (Don't ask me to explain, if you're curious enough, go to Wikipedia.......)