PDA

View Full Version : Is Eldritch Blast visible?

Cicciograna
2018-10-16, 03:46 PM
Does Eldritch Blast have a visible effect? Does it manifest, dunno, a bolt? The spell's blurb is kind of obscure on the matter: it does in fact mention that the spell produces "beams", but this doesn't imply that these beams are visible.

Even the description of "force" effects isn't particularly explicit: it says that "force damage is the manifestation of magical energy into a tangible form", but it also mentions Wall of Force which is, in fact, explicitly defined as invisible.

So I'd speculate that Eldritch Blast does not produce any visible manifestation, but I'd like to hear your opinions. If it was not visible, it would offer some interesting roleplaying possibilities: an invisible force striking something from afar, without allowing for immediate reckoning of the source would definitely be something interesting.

EDIT: as soon as I ended writing this, I realized that if it was invisible it would have been explicitly mentioned, just as in Wall of Force. Then I guess it takes whatever form the player and the Master agree upon.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-16, 03:48 PM
Does Eldritch Blast have a visible effect? Does it manifest, dunno, a bolt? The spell's blurb is kind of obscure on the matter: it does in fact mention that the spell produces "beams", but this doesn't imply that these beams are visible.

Even the description of "force" effects isn't particularly explicit: it says that "force damage is the manifestation of magical energy into a tangible form", but it also mentions Wall of Force which is, in fact, explicitly defined as invisible.

So I'd speculate that Eldritch Blast does not produce any visible manifestation, but I'd like to hear your opinions. If it was not visible, it would offer some interesting roleplaying possibilities: an invisible force striking something from afar, without allowing for immediate reckoning of the source would definitely be something interesting.

I think it's worth mentioning that Wall of Force is explicitly mentioned as invisible, when other things "of force" don't. Because of the fact that Wall of Force HAS to say it's invisible, it's likely more of an exception rather than it simply mentioning what is supposed to be "common knowledge". If all Force was supposed to be invisible, then why does Wall of Force have to remind you?

[EDIT] Got ninja'd by OP.

DwarfDM
2018-10-16, 03:49 PM
It says: "A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. "

So I would say it is visible.

Tanarii
2018-10-16, 03:49 PM
Ramged attacks automatically reveal your position. Unless you've got the Sneaky-person Feat and are using a ranged weapon.

Cicciograna
2018-10-16, 03:53 PM
It says: "A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. "

So I would say it is visible.

This is what I deserve for checking the SRD and not the manuals.

Well, this solves the issue. Thank you.

Corpsecandle717
2018-10-16, 03:56 PM
Mechanical bits are already answered, but the few Lovecraft stories I've read have permanently tinged anything described as 'Eldritch' with a sickly green glow in my mind.

Spiritchaser
2018-10-16, 04:07 PM
Ramged attacks automatically reveal your position. Unless you've got the Sneaky-person Feat and are using a ranged weapon.

Or unless you can see further in the pitchy dark than they can!

:P

Well technically they would know that something attacked them from over yonder, but hey, there’s a whole lot of yonder.

Tanarii
2018-10-16, 05:15 PM
Or unless you can see further in the pitchy dark than they can!

:P

Well technically they would know that something attacked them from over yonder, but hey, there’s a whole lot of yonder.I'm down with that interpretation of how not-hiding works. :smallamused:

What I should have said was it "automatically reveals you", as in you are no longer hidden. So as not to imply that not-hidden = exactly known position. My bad.

sophontteks
2018-10-16, 05:22 PM
It would be so cool to do eldritch spear and spell sniper with pact of the chain and voice of the chainmaster for your spotter.

600 foot EB attacks. So niche, but so cool.

Spiritchaser
2018-10-16, 05:49 PM
It would be so cool to do eldritch spear and spell sniper with pact of the chain and voice of the chainmaster for your spotter.

600 foot EB attacks. So niche, but so cool.

All you really need is a guy with a torch, close to the target, dodging, and with sanctuary on him...

Unless of course they have AoE

Then not so much

Spiritchaser
2018-10-16, 05:50 PM
I'm down with that interpretation of how not-hiding works. :smallamused:

What I should have said was it "automatically reveals you", as in you are no longer hidden. So as not to imply that not-hidden = exactly known position. My bad.

Nah, my bad, I was being annoying