PDA

View Full Version : It's over level 30!!!

SpiderKoopa
2007-09-17, 09:08 PM
Ok, I know it sounds rediculous, but I have a friend doing a lv40 campaign. Crazy right? Well, I was wondering if you fine forum-going people would help me with the most awesome character ever to see the light of day.

Arcane caster? Yes please.
But seriously, anything. :smallbiggrin:
Please and thank you!

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-18, 12:35 AM
Ok, I know it sounds rediculous, but I have a friend doing a lv40 campaign. Crazy right? Well, I was wondering if you fine forum-going people would help me with the most awesome character ever to see the light of day.

Arcane caster? Yes please.
But seriously, anything. :smallbiggrin:
Please and thank you!

Psion 10 / Fighter 10 / Monk 10. that equals Epic Neo Win, then you'd probably want to put the rest into Rogue.

WrathOfLife
2007-09-18, 01:22 AM
Psion 10 / Fighter 10 / Monk 10. that equals Epic Neo Win, then you'd probably want to put the rest into Rogue.

huh, You seem to have made a slight mistake there Dean, I don't see where you've got Epic spellcasting... A small oversight I'm sure.

Just make a normal wizard focus on the skill spellcraft, and then take Epic Spellcasting.

Epic spellcasting is pretty much all there is to Epic, with Epic casting a wizard stops being batman and just nods in the general direction of the bad guys who promtly explode, reguardless of distance or skill...

Unless there also Epic spellcasters in which case it becomes a matter of who nods first.

*nods*

malcolm
2007-09-18, 01:34 AM
*n...*

Silent, Quickened Nod! I win!

WrathOfLife
2007-09-18, 01:38 AM
Silent, Quickened Nod! I win!

Curses, I knew I should have had a Contingency spell up for this, but nooo, I had to go for an AMF Contingency. *dies*

Another tip with your Epic build, have lots and lots of PRC's, but don't drop caster levels, stright wizard levels are dull, PRCs are more powerful and interesting. Archmage is a good one to look at (and its core).

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-18, 01:42 AM
And dont forget Initiate of the Sevenfold Cheese! (It's Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, really, but...)

WrathOfLife
2007-09-18, 01:46 AM
eh, I dunno... at level 40 you don't really need the extra power, may be worth just going for flavourful full caster PRC's. I mean sure, if everyone else is twinking its awesome.

But otherwise I'd be worried about leaving your buddies to far in the dust.... I mean, you still need some one to clean your boots and do you really want to waste a level-0 spell on that when you have a level 40 fighter right there?

Leon
2007-09-18, 02:58 AM
Monk 20 / Cleric 20 and call yourself Garrick Volye

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-18, 03:40 AM
huh, You seem to have made a slight mistake there Dean, I don't see where you've got Epic spellcasting... A small oversight I'm sure.

Just make a normal wizard focus on the skill spellcraft, and then take Epic Spellcasting.

Epic spellcasting is pretty much all there is to Epic, with Epic casting a wizard stops being batman and just nods in the general direction of the bad guys who promtly explode, reguardless of distance or skill...

Unless there also Epic spellcasters in which case it becomes a matter of who nods first.

*nods*

I don't like Magic that much, I rather stab my opponents to death, if I ever had the Chance for a level 40 campaign I would have 20 levels in SwashBuckler, 10 levels in Dread Pirate and probably 10 levels in Ninja or Sorcerer (I'd still favor for Ninja).

mostlyharmful
2007-09-18, 04:22 AM
Demilich!!??!!! become the ultimate badass!!!! +10 level adjustment and its an epic only template and there's a reason.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-09-18, 04:33 AM
The following unusual flavor cheese has been tested for quality and tastyness and approved by the High Cheesomancer of the order of the Cheese.

Epic Bards.

So, bards suck in nonepic. They even have the "bleed profusely" ability that allows them to fall to negative HP as a free action. Not so much in Epic. A Bard 10/ Sublime Chord 30 is a force to be reckoned with. Epic Feats include Epic Spellcasting, Lasting Inspiration, Inspire Excellence, Epic Skill Focus: Spellcraft, ISC 2x and 8 points in Improved Inspiration.

Not only you have access to 9th level spells and Epic Spells but you can buff all your allies in the following ways: +12 to an ability score, +10 HD, +12 in a skill or save or AC. The buffs last for as long as you sing and for 5 minutes thereafter and because they are supernatural abilities can only be dispelled by an Epic Dispel. Over the course of a fight you can buff repeatedly-or you can buff the party's wizard with both an intelligence boost and a spellcraft boost for bigger epic spells.

Epic Sneakers.

Admittedly, the epic sneakers are not very effective offencively-at least not often-but they can hold up their own against enemies if correctly built.

A hexblade 4/blackguard 2/rogue 10/duelist 14/Void Incarnate 10 with Self Concealment 50%, Infinite Deflection and Epic Dodge and high charisma will laugh at the enemy attacks. They won't know he's there so they can't target him, he has total concealment so they can't target him with spells anyway, he dodges the first successful attack every round, he has really high AC, makes his saves against magic every single time except on a 1 and thus totally negates the effects of any spell with a saving throw, is immune to divinations and effects that restrict or hold them (including forcecage) and practically ignores ranged attacks. Plus, he ignores any AC-boosting items and spells the wizard has that give force bonus to AC. He can also hide while observed because he has concealment. If you add some mageslaying feats and a good weapon, you could kill enemy wizards before they know you're there-or disrupt their spells outright.

Items:

The shield/armor of great reflection is a classic. Have one of those and challenge the party wizard to hit you with an Epic Spell. Ofcourse, his own spell will strike right back at him. :smallamused:

kme
2007-09-18, 05:50 AM
If you want to concentrate on epic spells you can create dual spellcasting/manifesting build so you get more epic slots (from different skills).
Simple example:
level 10 wizard
level 10 psion
level 10 cerebremancer

You will have -10 on CL/Ml but you can take practised manifester/spellcaster and items that boost it.And you need it almost only for overcoming spell resistance.And you will have 3 epic slots from spellcraft and 3 from psicraft :smallbiggrin: .

If you wish you can take:
7 psion
10 wizard
13 cerebremancer

With this you will have wizard CL greater by 3 and bonus epic feat but will lose powers known.(with this you will have to take practised manifester)

Green Bean
2007-09-18, 05:56 AM
If you're looking for arcane death, you should browse the already mentioned Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (cheesy), as well as taking a gander at the Incantrix (cheesy, but not as cheesy as the IotSV) for metamagic purposes.

Leon
2007-09-18, 06:06 AM
If you want to concentrate on epic spells you can create dual spellcasting/manifesting build so you get more epic slots (from different skills).
Simple example:
level 10 wizard
level 10 psion
level 10 cerebremancer

How to become a Dragon King in 3 easy Steps

SadisticFishing
2007-09-18, 08:09 AM
Wizard 5/Psion 5/Cerebromancer 20 just makes more sense. Yay free feats!

Attilargh
2007-09-18, 08:30 AM
His name is Voyle, and he is a Cleric/Monk/Scrutator. 12/5/5, if I recall; He's Epic, but only barely.

Ędit: As usual, I'm wrong. The levels are 10/15/10.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-18, 08:33 AM
Epic skills are amazing, I would suggest focusing on Diplomacy and make your enemies fanatics in 6 seconds (only a DC120 or so). So you just raise an army of fanatics as quickly as possible (I suggest going to the biggest city and make speeches) after acquiring tens of thousands of fanatic followers and probably just as many helpful followers, you ascend to godhood be the shear force of the power of your followers and you also weaken other gods who might stop you by stealing their followers. Continue to exist on the material plane and acquire more and more fanatic followers. You should start at least as a Lesser Deity, but with the rate you are gaining fanatic followers, you should ascend to the status of a Greater Deity soon afterward (about half a day or so, considering all your followers have been sent out to convert others to your faith). As a Greater Deity you can convert followers even more easily by taking 20 on all diplomacy checks and all the other crazy bonuses you get. Then you start slaughtering the gods you have weakened, gaining their power. After slaying those you have weakened you have your followers crusade against the other gods' followers as you destroy the gods themselves, and by the end of the week you are the one and only god.

Good job, go Diplomacy.

Zim
2007-09-18, 08:36 AM
What about a Balor or Solar? That could be fun.

Reinboom
2007-09-18, 09:22 AM
The most valuable aspect of an epic character is epic feats. A maxed base class gets free epic feats for going apast level 20. Wizard, for example, gets an extra at 23, and every 3 after.
21: Epic Spellcasting
23,24,26,27,29,30,32,33,35,36,38,39 - so you have 12 extra to use.

Now examining these feats -
Epic Spellcasting - Pure cheese.
Improved Metamagic - Decreases metamagic by 1, to a minimum of 1. Below overshadows it.
Automatic Quicken Spell - 0-3rd level spell free quickened. Gain 2 more times to make 9th level spells quickened. A 4th time for up to level 12 spell slots (for spell capacity)
Improved Spell Capacity - With ridiculously high int, which you should have, gives you, in turn, a bunch of free spell slots that are all above 9. The only bad part? No automatic quicken spell for these.
Multispell - Cast multiple quickened spells in a round.
Craft Epic Wonderous Items - Craft items that exceed the normal limits... like a ridiculously high spellcraft enhancing item (for epic spellcasting purposes)

Now work with these.
(This is wizard 40, which would be better than most prestige class combinations I can think of due to the free epic feats).

For example, you could do..
23, 24, 26 as Automatic Quicken.
27,29,30,32,33,35,36,38,39 as Multispell

Voila, you can cast 11 spells of up to 9th level in any given round. (1 swift, 1 standard, +9 swift)
Or
23,24,26,29 Automatic Quicken
27 Improved Spell Capacity
And you can cast 9 spells of up to 12th level in any given round.

Though I recommend replacing level 23 in the above with craft epic wonderous item. Barring custom epic spells - custom epic equipment allows you to get that +30 to spellcraft you would want.

Oh, and this is without actually mentioning what one can do with epic spellcasting. the emperor tippy should be able to cover that nicely.

Caewil
2007-09-18, 09:27 AM
I can't exactly remember, but Douglas once made an epic build that reduced metamagic costs to 0 and less.

Twinned, Energy Substituted (Fire), fire admixed, maximised, empowered polar ray! For a lvl 7 spell slot.

Reinboom
2007-09-18, 09:48 AM
I can't exactly remember, but Douglas once made an epic build that reduced metamagic costs to 0 and less.

Twinned, Energy Substituted (Fire), fire admixed, maximised, empowered polar ray! For a lvl 7 spell slot.

Unfortunately, most feats or features that allowed this have been rewritten. The only feat that I can think of currently that allows you to reduce to below 1 is arcane thesis - and that only applies to a specific spell. It's abusable, just not as much as you would think.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-18, 09:57 AM
It's abusable, just not as much as you would think.

Still funny with Enervation. Your enemies won't be epic for long.

kme
2007-09-18, 10:57 AM
Wizard 5/Psion 5/Cerebromancer 20 just makes more sense. Yay free feats!

Cerebremancer don't improve you spellcasting after level 10.You only get improved caster and manifester levels.So you would be 15 wizard 15 psion with ML and CL 25

Automatic quicken has been nerfed I think.Now you must take it for each spell level 1-9.Spending 9 epic feats for that isn't worth it.And it has very tough prerequisites(automatic still and automatic silent I think and some high skill ranks)

On the other hand if you take improved metamagic 3 times and 4 improved spell capacities-10 level slot you will basically have automatic quicken plus improved metamagic.And instead you can take improved spell capacity 10 11 12 13 and you will have even more spell slots due to INT bonus and you can use them for even greater metamagic effects.

As for multispell.That is a true cheese.

Unfortunately, most feats or features that allowed this have been rewritten. The only feat that I can think of currently that allows you to reduce to below 1 is arcane thesis - and that only applies to a specific spell. It's abusable, just not as much as you would think.
I think that douglas made 5 wizard 10 incantatrix 10 dweomer keeper.He took easy metamagic and arcane thesis for polar ray and delayed blast fireball.That plus improved metamagic from incantatrix and dweomer keeper gave him +0 metamagic modifier for those spells.
Yeah that was cheesy :smallbiggrin: .

Douglas
2007-09-18, 11:07 AM
The full list was Maximized Empowered Twinned Split Ray Fire Substituted Fire Admixed Searing Polar Ray for 50d6/2+300 damage on each of four rays, half of which ignores even fire immunity. Yes, it used Arcane Thesis. It also used both Incantatrix and Dweomerkeeper to get Improved Metamagic twice two levels before it's possible to qualify for the actual feat. Since you have 15 more levels to work with than I did, you would not need to resort to the same bit of cheese if you want to build something similar - you can just take the epic feat however many times you like instead of having to sink 20 levels into getting two PrC capstone abilities that duplicate it.

Edit: The pre-PrC levels were Sorcerer 1/Cleric 1/Hexblade 3. Cleric for the required domain to enter Dweomerkeeper and Hexblade for Arcane Resistance and Mettle. I made up the lost caster levels with Practiced Spellcaster. There was no lost spell progression because that stops at 20 and I had 21 levels that contributed to it.

In one later match I used Psychic Reformation to change it to Empowered Maximized Cold Substituted Cold Admixed Guided Twinned Enhanced Piercing Cold Moonbow. 6 attacks for 30d6/2+180 each, and any misses keep trying again for several rounds. Plus it's a lower spell level.

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-09-18, 11:17 AM
And then it fails against the enemy's enhanced SR. :smalltongue:

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-18, 11:20 AM
I was going to suggest the Automatic Quicken Spell + Multispell route too, but it comes with caveats. it only works if you're using the Epic Level Handbook/SRD for your epic rules. Complete Arcane had some epic material in it; this included rewrites of the automatic metamagic feats. AQS got nerfed from 0th, 1st, and 2nd spells + 3 levels/additional time to 0th and 1st + 1 level/additional time. Auto Still and Silent still do 0,1,2 + 3/feat though, if you're interested in that. Ultimate Magus (CMage) is your friend. Being able to cast 10 spells per round isn't worth as much if you start running out of ammo. Your Wizard caster level will catch up easily, and the addition of a bit of a Sorcerer reserve gives you a little bit of extra ammo to fling, since Auto Quicken specifically does not increase casting time for Sorcs. Make sure Multispell still works. It's 3.0, and 3.0 had no Swift Actions -- a quickened spell was a free action that you were only allowed to take once per turn, and Multispell's wording reflects that.

Douglas
2007-09-18, 11:22 AM
Enhanced by how much? With Epic Spell Penetration, an Orange Prism Ioun Stone, a Ring of Arcane Might (Complete Arcane), Create Magic Tattoo (Spell Compendium), Assay Spell Resistance (CompArc? also in Spell Compendium), and probably a few other things, it would have to be pretty high. Or you could just drop Split Ray and do much the same thing with any of the Orb spells and completely ignore SR.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 11:27 AM
Spellthief 1/Duskblade 13/Wizard 1/Ur-Priest 3/Mystic Theurge 7/Abjurant Champion 5/Knight Phantom 10.

Use Mystic Theurge, Abjurant Champion, and Knight Phantom to increase Wizard spellcasting. You'll end up with the ability to cast 9th level divine spells and 9th level arcane spells, with the added benefit of being able to cast any of them in light armor with no ASF. Further, you can steal spells from slots above 9th (up to 18th level slots, actually), channel any spell you know into a full-attack (including those you steal and your divine spells), and have epic casting, with your Wizard caster level of 23--actually, of 27, considering AbCham's fifth level ability sets your caster level equal to your BAB.

Required feats: Master Spellthief stacks your Steal Spell ability with your arcane caster levels--of which you have 36. Prerequisite feats. Other than that, have fun.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-18, 11:40 AM
Required feats: Master Spellthief stacks your Steal Spell ability with your arcane caster levels--of which you have 36. Prerequisite feats. Other than that, have fun.That's not how it works. Master Spellthief combines your caster levels, but steal spell is based off of arcane spellcaster levels. While at first glance that seems like it would include PrCs, further examination shows that it only affects classes that actually grant arcane spellcasting, not those that advance it. Your reading implies that one could use, say, Radiant Servant of Pelor levels to advance Mystic Theurge casting, which simply isn't the case.

If you want to advance Steal Spell, you need Spellthief levels and actual Wizard levels, not just pseudo-levels provided by PrCs.

Funkyodor
2007-09-18, 12:47 PM
40 Character Levels!? Man that is mind boggling :smalleek: . Uh... Lets see... Uh... Man, thats just Crazy! Its either gonna be "Yay we are prepared for this situation! We win!". Or "Oh man, we forgot about that. We lose!" I myself would play a silly class that can still be very powerful, just not a super tweaked 'I took 4 Classes and 3 PrC's' kinda character.
Like Wizard 20/Commoner 20 to represent 20 levels worth of sitting in your tower mooching off your infinate power. You still get the character level feats and 20 levels of it is more than enough to progress epic stuff.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 12:51 PM
That's not how it works. Master Spellthief combines your caster levels, but steal spell is based off of arcane spellcaster levels. While at first glance that seems like it would include PrCs, further examination shows that it only affects classes that actually grant arcane spellcasting, not those that advance it. Your reading implies that one could use, say, Radiant Servant of Pelor levels to advance Mystic Theurge casting, which simply isn't the case.

If you want to advance Steal Spell, you need Spellthief levels and actual Wizard levels, not just pseudo-levels provided by PrCs.

Er, no. Steal Spell is based off of your arcane caster levels.

Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grants arcane spellcasting other than the spellthief) for the purpose of determining what level of spell you can steal. For example, a 4th-level spellthief/4th-level wizard could steal spells of up to 4th level, as if he were an 8th-level spellthief.

Prestige classes that have "+1 spellcasting" grant arcane spellcasting.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-18, 01:43 PM
Edit: This argument regarding Master Spellthief has been relocated here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57238), and I've deleted posts in this thread pertaining to the topic.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 01:49 PM
The quote you posted right after this says absolutely nothing about caster levels.No; I already covered this. They advance spellcasting you already have, but do not grant it. If standard mage PrCs (and by that I mean not classes like the Sublime Chord, which would work) were considered spellcasting classes, one could use an Archmage level to advance Mystic Theurge spellcasting, which would in turn advance both Cleric and Wizard casting. Or just to really drive it home, Archmage could power Mystic Theurge, which could power Ultimate Magus, thus causing the Archmage level to trickle down into Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer casting.

This does not work, and thus Master Spellthief does not mean what you think it does, inconceivable as that may be.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that Master Spellthief stacks Steal Spell with effective caster level, not that "+1 effective caster level" is "+1 effective class features".

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 01:55 PM
Right. And I'm telling you that the quote you posted does not mention that being the case at all.

I think what's going on here is a difference in what "grant spellcasting" actually means.

Thinker
2007-09-18, 03:13 PM

That is one of the worst epic builds I've seen. It really doesn't accomplish much. Without epic spellcasting you will not be contributing all that much to the party's goals. Sure, you will be able to defeat non-epic characters easily, but then so could an epic samurai.

Indon
2007-09-18, 04:44 PM
Epic spellcasting actually requires DM approval to develop spells for. You might get a DM who doesn't actually read the Epic spellcasting rules and overlooks that, allowing you to cheese with impunity, though.

One idea: Barbarian 30/Anything 10. Take the feat "Roll with it" every time pre-epic, and from there, if I recall, there's an epic feat that grants stacking general DR; take that a bunch. Laugh when anything hits you with non-energy damage.

Epic levels allow you to be creative. Do so. Make a Troll sorceror immune to Fire and Acid damage somehow. Or a Druid capable of transforming into Collosal air elementals.

Edit: Oh, you could try Epic Leadership feats! That could be awesome.

kjones
2007-09-18, 05:09 PM
Epic spellcasting actually requires DM approval to develop spells for. You might get a DM who doesn't actually read the Epic spellcasting rules and overlooks that, allowing you to cheese with impunity, though.

One idea: Barbarian 30/Anything 10. Take the feat "Roll with it" every time pre-epic, and from there, if I recall, there's an epic feat that grants stacking general DR; take that a bunch. Laugh when anything hits you with non-energy damage.

Epic levels allow you to be creative. Do so. Make a Troll sorceror immune to Fire and Acid damage somehow. Or a Druid capable of transforming into Collosal air elementals.

Edit: Oh, you could try Epic Leadership feats! That could be awesome.

Right, laugh while taking non-energy damage, until you get hit with a save-or-die, and then don't do so hot on the saving bit.

Epic levels don't so much allow creativity as much as they allow everything, while leaving epic-level magic as the only mechanically viable choice.

Ted_Stryker
2007-09-18, 10:48 PM
I don't like Magic that much, I rather stab my opponents to death, if I ever had the Chance for a level 40 campaign I would have 20 levels in SwashBuckler, 10 levels in Dread Pirate and probably 10 levels in Ninja or Sorcerer (I'd still favor for Ninja).
They're your funerals, knock yourself out. :smalltongue:

Reinboom
2007-09-18, 11:44 PM
Or, depending on how cheesy you wish to be.......

Druid 10/ Planar Shepherd (Dream) 30: You get an effective 10 turn time stop for your entire party usable 11 times a day. You can planeshift to dream (with 10:1 time) to effectively sleep and recover in under an hour, 7 times a day.
You wildshape as a 40th level druid.
And you can Wild Shape into a Dream Larva (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#dreamLarva)

Oh, AND you can get epic spellcasting.

Machete
2007-09-19, 12:23 AM
Wizard 20/ Factotum 20 with extra insight from the feat of the wizards site.

You pretty much are Batman superglued to Dr. Strange. You are a party of one.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-19, 12:41 AM
I wonder what a draconic wildshaper could wildshape into by level 40... Tiamat?

Edea
2007-09-19, 12:49 AM
Well, first of all, Druid 10/Planar Shepherd 30 with ES is going to pwn everything else in sight. It's just that ridonkulous. That build wins. However, it does so pre-epic. That bastage pwns as early as level 7, much less at level 14. I've played one before; we quickly got tired of him.

I would like to try a gnome Abjurer 3/Master Specialist 10/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7//Rainbow Servant 10/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Earth Dreamer 5.

Rainbow Servant normally sucks, because of all the lost caster levels. However, once you've hit Wiz 20 casting, spells/day are no longer affected, anyway, and you're more than powerful/wealthy enough to find new spells for your spellbooks on your own. Practiced Spellcaster covers up perfectly for the lost CLs otherwise. And you can just TASTE the Skittles flavor.

In turn, your character gains full access to the cleric spell list, as divine spells, yet which still use your normal arcane spellcasting stat. Since you are now able to cast 9th level divine and arcane spells, if you have 24 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (religion) (both class skills for a Wizard), you have just doubled the number of epic spell slots your character has access to, without really losing any caster levels. Not bad.

Shadowcraft Mage just reeks of awesome, and those Shadow Illusions will go well with your other spells even at that tremendously high level (hey, by that point you really can Heighten spells past 9th level with ISC). Earth Dreamer rounds off the five levels due to how easy it is for a gnome shadowcraft mage to meet the prereqs (you can use Geometer or something if you want).

Macrovore
2007-09-19, 01:01 AM
I've got an awesome wizard build, a super-exalted guy I made for a 40th lvl plane-walking game.
Halfling wizard10/celestial mystic10/sentinel of bharrai10/planeshifter10. The DM gave us all 13million gp to spend on items, so I have a quiver of ehlonna with 20 staves in it, 49 INT, and craploads of other random items, as well as a really cool demiplane, and has an Ursinal clr1/loremaster1/fochlucan lyrist 6 as a cohort. I was talking to the DM to make a (non super-powerful) epic spell that does the following:
1. if the target fails the Will save (which will need to be boosted), they get knocked unconscious
2. their alignment turns to LG, and they think it is their life's goal to gather, protect, and share knowledge
3. all the knowledge they once possessed is written in a book (which is conjured as part of the spell), and the book is teleported to the character's demiplane (which is a gigantic planar library).

namo
2007-09-19, 02:58 AM
- Most of the cheese has been put on the table... except Dweomerkeeper, to cast spells as (Su) - potentially getting XP-less Wishes among other things.
- Also, Geomancer may actually be worth it to Persist all your arcane spells with Nightsticks (because the Incantatrix and Ultimate Magus are more limited).
- Anything that gives you ridiculous CLs (Comic Descryer, Consumptive Field) with Holy Word...
- Abuse Initiate of Mystra to get a permanent Antimagic Field and still cast in it (see the Cheater of Mystra).
- too much other stuff to list.

Now I'm feeling dirty. *goes off to wash*

Reinboom
2007-09-19, 06:48 AM
Here's something I quickly worked up. Working on a 2nd build after this. :smalltongue:
(This is fun)

If human, first feat is Alternate Source Spell [Dragon #325], If barred, use southern magician at level 3. Or use Illumian with Improved Sigil: Krau.

You can also jam 2 levels of wizard into this build and move everything down if you can't get away with the above.

1 Druid - [Feat] (or more)
2 Wizard - 4 ranks into knowledge (the planes)
3 Cleric (with Magic domain)
4 Druid - Practiced Spellcaster Wizard
5 Druid
6 Druid - Craft Wonderous Item
7 Druid
8 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Druid]
9 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Druid] - Natural Spell
10 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
11 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
12 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric] - Quicken Spell
13 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
14 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
15 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric] - [Feat]
16 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
17 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
18 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric] [Feat]
19 Arcane Hierophant [Wizard + Cleric]
20 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric] {14 wizard, 7 druid, 12 cleric}
21 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric] - [Epic Feat]
22 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric]
23 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric]
24 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric] - Take Epic Spellcasting
25 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric]
26 Mystic Theurge [Wizard + Cleric] {20 wizard, 7 druid, 18 cleric}
27 Planar Shepherd [Druid] - [Epic Feat] (Choose Dream Plane - preferably) (Because of skill knowledge - you can increase your knowledge arcana, religion, and nature during these for epic spellcasting)
28 Planar Shepherd [Druid]
29 Planar Shepherd [Druid]
30 Planar Shepherd [Druid] - [Epic Feat]
31 Planar Shepherd [Druid]
32 Planar Shepherd [Druid]
33 Planar Shepherd [Druid] - [Epic Feat]
34 Planar Shepherd [Druid]
35 Planar Shepherd [Druid] {20 wizard, 16 druid, 18 cleric}
36 -Something- - [Epic Feat]
37 Planar Shepherd [Druid] (Delayed to make getting 40 ranks evenly easy)
38 -Something-
39 -Something- - [Epic Feat]
40 -Something-

-Something- wants to be anything that can increase divine casting. Dweomerkeeper works here.
Enjoys ignore material components, improved spell capacity, improved metamagic, and multispell (but no more than 1 to 3 multispells).

leperkhaun
2007-09-19, 07:25 AM
30 something rogue/ enough spell casting to take golemstrike..etc/shadow dancer.

At level 40 you can have OVER a 100 hide and move silently skill bonus. Dont know if its been errattaed, but in the PHB you can take a -20 to your hide skill and stay hidden while you attack since in the hide discription it states "its practically impossible to (-20 penelty) to stay hidden while attacking running or charging."

Only thing that gets you is blindsense or tremor sense. Take that armor that gives you fly at will and tremorsense is no big deal, and pay a wizard that will create a spell that will hide someone from blindsense. Then put that into a 3/day or so item and you are good.

Take the...hmmm cant remember the name, but in the Tome of Shadow or somesuch there is a +3 weapon enchant that will attune to DR after the first hit and ignore it after that.

OR you can make a level 40 wizard, find 19 other wizards, and use epic spell casting to give all the wizards DR 100/-.

Laesin
2007-09-19, 06:57 PM
Core only Cleric 5/Wizard 5/ Mystic theurge 30 with practiced spellcaster is my bet. Casting at CL 39 for Divine and Arcane spells and double epic spell slots. All you lose is Turn undead, familiar and three feats which at level 40 is nothing.

Ulzgoroth
2007-09-19, 07:02 PM
Doesn't epic Mystic Theurge only give half progression in each class, for no particular reason?

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-09-19, 07:08 PM
Rogues may take Darkstalker (feat) to be undetectable via blindsight.

Ted_Stryker
2007-09-19, 08:00 PM
Doesn't epic Mystic Theurge only give half progression in each class, for no particular reason?
Yeah, that's right, at least if you use the RAW Epic Mystic Theurge.

martyboy74
2007-09-19, 08:23 PM
- Anything that gives you ridiculous CLs (Comic Descryer, Consumptive Field) with Holy Word...

This works even better if you have access to the SpC. With it, you can get the spell domain, which lets you get Anyspell, Greater, which let's you cast delay death.

Delay Death + Cosmic Connection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/cosmicDescryer.htm#cosmicConnection) + Diehard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#diehard) + Holy Word (Blasphemy/Word of Chaos, etc.). Make sure that you're party member's are outside of the specified area; everything within will die. Use a bucket of water to restore yourself to 0 HP until the DM activates that banhammer on it.

As for your power level then? It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-19, 08:27 PM
I'd get 5 levels archmage, 10 levels IotSV, and Incantatrix. The rest, anything that keeps you with full wizard spell casting. Actually, 15 levels of wizard wouldn't be bad for the bonus feats.

Laesin
2007-09-19, 08:32 PM

Don't recall seeing that. Where is it? AFB at the moment.

Strike that just found it in the SRD. WHAT?? That breaks the entire pattern for epic levels. Anything else that follows a set pattern pre-epic continues it at epic. As it stands post epic you're marginally better off alternating Wizard/Cleric. Thats just wrong

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-19, 08:33 PM
Don't recall seeing that. Where is it? AFB at the moment.

In the epic section of the SRD.

Ulzgoroth
2007-09-19, 08:34 PM
Over here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClassProgressions.htm#epicMysticTheurge), where all things can be found. Well, many things.

Ranis
2007-09-19, 08:44 PM

Actually, I think the term is Gravaton Cleric.

Ever seen Equilibrium? :D

Duke of URL
2007-09-20, 01:08 PM
The most valuable aspect of an epic character is epic feats. A maxed base class gets free epic feats for going apast level 20. Wizard, for example, gets an extra at 23, and every 3 after.

Not just base classes, any class with an epic progression. That includes PrCs like Incantatrix, which also get 1 feat per 3 levels after PrC level 10. And unless you like familiars, there's no reason not to go Incantatrix over straight Wizard.

GoC
2007-09-20, 05:13 PM
Take wizard 35/Archmage 5.
And stay away from any spell that requires a save or a ranged touch attack (exceptional deflection is broken).
And be sure to get your minions to help you craft that 1 DC permanent epic spell that gives invulnerability to all non-epic spells below level 20.
And the one that gives DR 100/-.
And the one that gives you Terrasque regeneration.
And the one that gives SR 100.
And the one that makes you immune to everything!:smallbiggrin:

EDIT:As a DM I'd remove the ability of others to contribute to reducing the DC but let you take Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft) as many times as you want.