PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1st ASI

SixDemonBlues
2018-10-16, 08:30 PM
Hi All,

First post here. Was looking for some opinions on my first ASI selection, which I'm going to get next session (200 xp away).

Currently a 3/1 Half-Elf Vengeance Paladin/Hexblade Warlock. We're in the middle of White Plume mountain right now and we just picked up Whelm, which the DM is hilariously letting me use because I nat 20'd a persuasion roll and we have no dwarves in the party.

Obviously I'll be using that for awhile as A) it's far better than anything I have and B) I can't use Hex Weapon with a 2-hander until Warlock 3 anyway. So the question I'm struggling with is, when I ding that next level, do I take Elven Accuracy or Warcaster?

Elven accuracy does a couple things for me. It'll bump my CHA to 20, so I'll get that +5. It also pairs very well with Vow of Enmity, letting me re-roll attack dice with advantage. But that latter benefit is really confined to boss fights or tough, single critters that I want to nova. Doesn't do me a whole lot of good otherwise because I don't have any other way to produce advantage. I'm the experienced guy in our group. Most of our other players are first timers so team-synergistic strategies are still a work in progress for us and I don't have a reliable source of advantage.

I'm also the only thing resembling a front line tank in the party, which is what makes Warcaster attractive. We've got a ton of gold in the kitty. I could probably go pick up a +1 shield and take my ac from 19-22. I do semi-okay at 19, but 22 sounds a lot better. Not to mention being able to use booming blade as an OOA is pretty sweet.

Anyway, what do you all think? Thanks for all your help.

Angelalex242
2018-10-16, 09:59 PM
Sentinel's not a bad idea.

If you're currently at Cha 19, Actor is an idea, though if you have 2 odd stats, boost both of 'em

Wildarm
2018-10-17, 08:46 AM
Elven Accuracy all the way IMO. Maxes your Charisma and provides a very nice augment to your Vow. Ask the spell casters to pick up advantage generating spells. Spells that knock targets prone are generally good. Someone's familiar can also help to give you advantage. Being able to generate more crits to smite on is super strong and worth your team focusing on.

Palfatreos
2018-10-17, 01:24 PM
elven accuracy just to max CHA, since you not using sword board you can stil cast spell anyway. another options to grab resilient instead and grab con saves.

SixDemonBlues
2018-10-17, 01:38 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the input guys. In digging into the weeds a little more, it seems like I actually can still cast a number of spells with a shield in hand if it’s my spell focus. So that makes life a lot easier. Elven accuracy it is!

Palfatreos
2018-10-17, 02:00 PM
yeah you could put your holy symbol on your shield or even your armor :p. Note that it only apply on your paladin spells in this case. Also if you goig sword board you still gonna need warcarster later for spell with somatic with it.