PDA

View Full Version : Help A Struggling Alt-aholic!

TerakasTaranath
2018-10-16, 11:54 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'm an altaholic for D&D. It's getting to the point where I don't think I can enjoy a character I'm playing currently I always look to forward to the next one.

Anyone else struggle from this? And is there any hope for a poor soul like me to finally enjoy a character? Any tips or suggestions to finally enjoy the one I'm playing at the moment?

ImproperJustice
2018-10-17, 12:05 AM
My entire group has this problem. It’s so bad our GM let us run two PCs for a few sessions then had us take a portal to a new location where we could only take 1 alt each with us.....

If you find an answer let us know please!

Although I can say that having a good backstory, and fun party interactions tend to draw out some classes over others.

Nifft
2018-10-17, 12:21 AM
Roll for stats.

This can help you avoid having a "next one", since you can't pick your class / race / build / etc. until you have stats.

Kane0
2018-10-17, 12:25 AM
Play a changeling spy that goes so deep into their various personas you're essentially playing a different character each time you 'sink in'

Laserlight
2018-10-17, 03:14 AM
1. Develop a good personality for the character, with links to the other party members and making some decisions from emotional (rather than purely tactical) reasons. It's easier to abandon a "dispassionate bundle of stats" than "the noblewoman who's terribly homesick, feels her duty requires that she protect her party members and women and children, is devout, and is dangerously curious about tainted arcane lore", for example.
2. Don't build alts. "If you don't build them, they won't come", so to speak.
3. Have a one-shot session every now and again; save your alt for that.
4. Keep your campaign relatively short. When it goes on for more than 9 months or so, I start getting antsy.

DarkKnightJin
2018-10-17, 08:14 AM
I suffer from minor altoholicism myself, but I have 2 tables at which I get to play.
Though one table will probably see me bringing a new character sometime soon, since it's unlikely he'll be able to be Revivify'd again.

My tip: Don't write any intriguing backstory for any of your alts. I only do that when I know the sort of game they'll be played in, the setting, and customize them to fit that world.
Of course, some characters just beg for a backstory that fits into just about any campaign..
Those might be a bit harder to keep yourself from wanting to play.

As for the on-going characters.. I agree with building a personality and binds with the other PCs, so you 'care' about what happens next with the character you're playing right now, instead of wondering how your new character might fare in that situation.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-17, 09:02 AM
DM. That way you can use all your cool character ideas for villains and npcs.

Desteplo
2018-10-17, 02:14 PM
I have over 30 character concept I want to play. Some of them I got to use a monster as a DM. Although, it’s hard to scratch that itch with just one encounter, and giving Your party an npc to babysit while not taking the spotlight is hard as well. (Usually try and give them someone half their level now)

One idea is to write them all out. Just writing them down or actually making the sheet helped me. I was able to put them in a folder and get to them later. A lot of my altaholic problem was wanting to remember it all. I have them all written down and now Once a few months pass I make another one.

I like options. But choosing a character to fit into a game makes my Head spin:
What I did was pick 5 (or random) and give the DM the choice who they want in the campaign. Giving someone else the choice usually helps because now you can’t change your mind.

I do suffer from wanting to play: so play by post games are easy to get into and stay as characters. You could possibly play multiple games and still have some free time. They don’t take a lot of time out of your day usually depending on your style of game (I’m in 3 pbp games and getting that taste of different characters helps)

RickAsWritten
2018-10-17, 03:26 PM

This.

I have this problem with video games more than D&D. Sure I have like 237 back-up characters made, but no big deal if I never get to play them. I'll just NPC them. In video games it paralyzes me. In Skyrim, I've probably played the starting scene/tutorial more than I've played the rest of the game. Poor Ralof and Hadvar; I've spent dozens and dozens of hours, in stealth, stabbing them, over and over again. All they asked was that I go check out that sleeping bear, and this is how I've repaid them.
I just got Divinity: Original Sin 2. I played through portions of Fort Joy four times before I moved on to the next Act. Same deal for pretty much any other RPG I touch.

dmteeter
2018-10-17, 03:28 PM

This has been my approach lately.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-17, 07:01 PM

Genius.

Hmm. If it were me, then I'd end up building them as NPCs and not PCs cause I ain't got time for all that.