PDA

View Full Version : A barbarian without the barbarian class

Arkhios
2018-10-17, 07:00 AM
If you were tasked to create a barbarian that didn't have a single level of the actual class, how would you approach the task?

For example, which feats and backgrounds would you take? I'm certain there is more than one answer to this.

I made my "barbarian" with the Uthgardt Tribe Member as my background and Dual Wielder feat, because I feel there's something "wild/ferocious" in that fighting technique, especially with two non-light weapons.

Note:
I'm not looking for advice for a new character or anything.

I'm merely curious what would you do, to create a character, that not only looks like, but also feels and plays like a barbarian without taking levels in the actual barbarian class.

Quoxis
2018-10-17, 07:24 AM
As with any such „how to build X“ question:
What are you looking for? What is a barbarian?
An uncivilized, martially adept brute? GWM champion fighter, scout rogue, spell-less ranger.
The tanky melee that just eats up damage seemingly without caring? Dwarf monk/rogue with a dagger and the dwarven fortitude feat.
Anything else? Explain.

kamap
2018-10-17, 07:33 AM
A fighter with a temper problem?

CTurbo
2018-10-17, 08:06 AM
I can see a Brute Fighter/Open Hand Monk combo work. You can Prioritize Str > Wis> Con = Dex You could start human or vhuman with 16 Str, 14 Dex, 12 Con, 16 Wis and go unarmored and just use Str with any Monk weapon or unarmed. At a reasonable level, your fists would deal 2d6+ Str damage.

Vogie
2018-10-17, 08:15 AM
A Long Death Monk can be fluffed in a very brutish, barbarous way. They're even more durable than normal and can actively terrify people repeatedly. Mechanically, they also have scaling damage die, which is not unlike the scaling increased by rage, and have an unarmored defense option.

Nifft
2018-10-17, 08:28 AM
"I'm a Wizard, and I don't speak Greek."

CTurbo
2018-10-17, 08:44 AM
A Long Death Monk can be fluffed in a very brutish, barbarous way. They're even more durable than normal and can actively terrify people repeatedly. Mechanically, they also have scaling damage die, which is not unlike the scaling increased by rage, and have an unarmored defense option.

Yes Brute Fighter + Long Death Monk instead of Open Hand

Arkhios
2018-10-17, 09:06 AM
What are you looking for? --- Explain.

I'm not making a new character or anything.

I'm merely curious what would you do, to create a character that not only looks like, but feels like a barbarian without taking levels in the barbarian class.

I'd say these parameters already imply a certain type of individual or even a whole culture.

Ganymede
2018-10-17, 09:37 AM
Literally any class would work.

How do you make a barbaric, uncivilized character? Easy: write a barbaric/uncivilized backstory and give your character barbaric/uncivilized personality traits.

JellyPooga
2018-10-17, 10:07 AM
Rogues share a lot of traits with Barbarian;

- bonus damage
- damage reduction/mitigation
- mobility
- light(er) armour

I would go with a high physicals (Str/Dex/Con) Rogue, expertise in Athletics and Survival. I'm not too familiar with non-PHB archetypes, but Thief works, as might Swashbuckler (for the "blood of kings" higher Charisma type Barbarian).

For Race, I might go Half-orc, Goliath, Hill Dwarf or maybe even Earth Genasi. Other Races from MToF or Xan's might work also (Lizardfolk comes to mind particularly, being an inherently "savage" Race).

Background? Uthgardt is an obvious pick, as is Outlander, but anything that offers Survival as a proficiency could work (assuming no customisation). More obscurely, Far Traveler could work for the "Fish out of water in the city" type Barbarian, or even Hermit for the "I live in the mountains for many years" woodsy/mountain-man/wisdom of the wilds kind of Barbarian.

OracularPoet
2018-10-17, 10:13 AM
I’ve considered playing a refluffed swashbuckler as a charismatic scout-ish dex barb. Rename the penache ability “animal magnetism” etc.

*edit* post ninja’d.

Willie the Duck
2018-10-17, 10:14 AM
As others have said, the archetypal concept of barbarian is broad. Assuming for the moment we are talking about someone who in a pseudo-medieval world isn't walking around in full plate armor and can take care of themselves in the wilderness, the only mechanical widgets I'd require (for my interpretation, that is) would be the survival skill, martial weapon proficiency (I think this guy should be able to pick up a handaxe, spear, or shortbow, should one fall in their lap), and ability to wear, and thrive in, light or medium armor. Using PHB only, an Outlander background Champion archetype Fighter class with no particular feats and decent Str, Dex, Con, and non-negative Wis fits my ideal fine.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-10-17, 10:15 AM
How about a Druid focusing on Primal Savagery for melee damage. Don't need STR, so plenty of WIS to reflect attunement with the natural world, plus CON to soak damage. When the "rage" gets great enough, congrats, you're a bear now thanks to Wild Shape. Circle of the Shepherd Bear Totem gives you temporary HP for damage soaking.

Vogie
2018-10-17, 10:20 AM
How about a Druid focusing on Primal Savagery for melee damage. Don't need STR, so plenty of WIS to reflect attunement with the natural world, plus CON to soak damage. When the "rage" gets great enough, congrats, you're a bear now thanks to Wild Shape. Circle of the Shepherd Bear Totem gives you temporary HP for damage soaking.

Also, if UA is allowed, a Primeval Guardian Ranger could also give that dark transformation feel.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-17, 01:25 PM
UA Scout Fighter. Adding half a superiority die to Athletics checks instead of Advantage on them while raging. Add a superiority die to Hit instead of reckless attack. Add one to AC (while not wearing heavy armor) instead of damage reduction while raging.

He's wild, accurate, and hard to kill while not wearing heavy armor.

suplee215
2018-10-17, 02:16 PM
Outlander background

Dudewithknives
2018-10-17, 02:30 PM
Pretty much the UA Brute fighter class.

It might as well just say Barbarian Lite.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-17, 03:22 PM
Also, if UA is allowed, a Primeval Guardian Ranger could also give that dark transformation feel.

The Guardian of Nature spell makes a nice Rage/Reckless attack substitute too.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-17, 04:32 PM
The Samurai.

Fighting Spirit is Rage Lite
Elegent Courtier or whatever works fine as is,just applied towards tribal things.

Or Battlemaster / Scout like everyone else suggests

Lonely Tylenol
2018-10-17, 04:46 PM
Mechanically, if I wanted to emulate the Barbarian class? Brute Fighter from the UA, with the Outlander background.

Flavor-wise, if I want to emulate a nomad, tribesman, or person of an “uncivilized” culture, perhaps without an emphasis on written language? Scout Rogue, Scout Fighter, Lore or Valor Bard, Shepherd or Land Druid, Hunter or Beastmaster Ranger, or Wild Magic Sorcerer, to name a few. Role specialization happens in all societies, and a barbarian (lower-case) will come from varied backgrounds to reflect this. There would probably be a greater emphasis on animism/shamanism, wilderness survival, and a need for gathering over agriculture, but a decent spread could be made of that. Their background would be much more shared (reflecting a common upbringing/culture, with a shared basic skill set), with a mix of Outlander/Uthgardt Tribe Member making up most backgrounds, but some Hermits, Sailors, and even a few Folk Heroes could be intermixed.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-17, 05:05 PM
Curious I think the Brute is a great representation of the theme of a Barbarian, but only an ok one for emulating the class.

Sure it gets increased damage, but where is the increase in accuracy like Reckless Attwack? Where is the bonus to strength checks? Where is the encouragement not to where Heavy Armor?

Come to think of it. If I could amalgamate the Brute, Samurai, and Scout Fighter I'd have the perfect non-Barb Barb.

Theodoxus
2018-10-17, 05:29 PM
Come to think of it. If I could amalgamate the Brute, Samurai, and Scout Fighter I'd have the perfect non-Barb Barb.

Which is probably why they're all on the same class - since otherwise there'd be little need to have the barbarian class (but I'm biased, as I far prefer the fighter chassis to the barbarian chassis).

To the OP, I'm gonna throw my hat with the rogue/monk crowd, if you're wanting to emulate the non-armored heavy hitter (substituting sneak attack for 'hulk smash').

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of options to recreate the 'come at me bro' aspect. Without the native resistance of rage, you're wanting to boost your other defenses, since uncanny dodge is once a round.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-17, 06:09 PM
Which is probably why they're all on the same class - since otherwise there'd be little need to have the barbarian class (but I'm biased, as I far prefer the fighter chassis to the barbarian chassis).

Yeah that thought occured to me too.

As an aside, even as a big fan of the Barbarian I think it could have been a Fighter subclass.

To the OP, I'm gonna throw my hat with the rogue/monk crowd, if you're wanting to emulate the non-armored heavy hitter (substituting sneak attack for 'hulk smash').

I've always cared less about the unarmored aspect. Even Conan wore armor whenever he could, though he specifically eschewed Plate armor.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of options to recreate the 'come at me bro' aspect. Without the native resistance of rage, you're wanting to boost your other defenses, since uncanny dodge is once a round.

Indeed. Something like Heavy armor master would do it, but then you're in Heavy armor of course.

effenhoog
2018-10-17, 07:16 PM
Fighter and rogue seem obvious, or perhaps a multiclass of both. One other really good one might be druid, played as more of a tribal shaman. Moon druid seems best as more of a shapechanger, but once you get into elemental wildshapes you might lose the flavor, which is a complaint I have about druid in general.

For the inverse, I'd like to play a zealot barbarian that calls himself a paladin.

Asmotherion
2018-10-17, 07:51 PM
-If you're oppen minded about a Caster, the Moon Druid can be very Barbarian Like (A Barbaric Shaman).

Just Grab Shillelagh, Healing Spells and Turn into a Bear for fights. Insert Quotes about the Food Chain to represent his Wisdom.

-An other Racial Trope that can never get old is the Lizardfolk. Whatever Class you actually are, you still are raised to scavange and make weapons out of the bones of your enemies, as well as eat their flesh; That's as hardcore as it gets. Whatever your backround may be, might add to your Trope.

-I suppose Rangers have the potential.

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-10-17, 08:52 PM
I'd go with a high Str/Wis Fighter with a touch of Monk. Smaller weapons, but he throws an awful lot of punches and kicks. And he can even fight without armor. Rogue...would also be an interesting alternative to fighter if I was going for something more sneaky-stabby in my Barb. And more spooky magic would mean a dip into Warlock (Hexblade for that ancestral weapon). In any case, Outlander or Mercenary Veteran would fit well. The former emphasizes my rustic qualities, while the latter emphasizes how I've worked for the "Civilized" folk as a merc for a time.

alchahest
2018-10-18, 11:44 AM
Yeah that thought occured to me too.

As an aside, even as a big fan of the Barbarian I think it could have been a Fighter subclass.

I've always cared less about the unarmored aspect. Even Conan wore armor whenever he could, though he specifically eschewed Plate armor.

Indeed. Something like Heavy armor master would do it, but then you're in Heavy armor of course.

Conan had no problem with plate armor, there just wasn't a lot of it available to him while he wasn't a King or General. When he had it, he used it. In fact his shining armor was so distinctive, that it was used while he was paralysed by one of his subordinates to act as a decoy. Conan is not a great archetype for the barbarian class, outside of the movies. In the books he is much more a fighter/rogue. He's incredibly skilled and intelligent, and outsmarted his enemies as often as he overpowered them.

-edit-
to answer the OP's question though, if you're looking for a cultural barbarian? Basically any class works, though wizard is a little harder, as much of their power comes from reading the works of others.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-18, 11:55 AM
Conan had no problem with plate armor, there just wasn't a lot of it available to him while he wasn't a King or General. When he had it, he used it. In fact his shining armor was so distinctive, that it was used while he was paralysed by one of his subordinates to act as a decoy. Conan is not a great archetype for the barbarian class, outside of the movies. In the books he is much more a fighter/rogue. He's incredibly skilled and intelligent, and outsmarted his enemies as often as he overpowered them.

-edit-
to answer the OP's question though, if you're looking for a cultural barbarian? Basically any class works, though wizard is a little harder, as much of their power comes from reading the works of others.

Conan absolutely has a problem with plate armor. It's been a few years since I read though all of REH's stories, but one was very specific about it.

He was a mercenary general working for a Queen. In one meeting he was wearing full plate (the Queens army's uniform) and feeling very uncomfortable. In the next scene he was happy to be back in Leather and chainmail. Edit: found it it's in The Black Colossus the word REH used was "restless" not uncomfortable, but it's plain he didn't like being in full plate.

He had discarded the plate-armor for the more familiar chain-mail.

Shoot in Phoenix in the sword he is King of Aquilonia and his suit of personal armor is still mostly leather and chainmail but with side plates that lace to the rest of the chest armor.

He may have had plate segments that were gold and distinct, but I very much Doubt REH ever had him comfortable in full plate.

Also why can't a 5e Barbarian be incredibly skilled and intelligent, and outsmart his enemies as often as he overpowers them?

What incentive in 5e does any type of fighter have to outwit foes more than a Barbarian does?

And While Conan does display great skill, he never uses thieves tools.

He is good at rogue stuff because of his natural ability due to surviving a harsh youth in Cimmeria. And has a savagery that is unmatched by any human being he encounters in any of his stories.

strangebloke
2018-10-18, 12:46 PM
Two levels druid, everything else in rogue or monk.

Turn into a bear and flurry of claws.

Nifft
2018-10-18, 12:49 PM
I feel like Conan would be a Champion / Thief with the Outlander background.

He would be a non-variant Human with better-than-everyone rolls to start out, making him better than everyone at most things, and this trend would accelerate as he gained levels.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-18, 01:14 PM
Two levels druid, everything else in rogue or monk.

Turn into a bear and flurry of claws.

You can't flurry with natural weapons, nor can you sneak attack with them.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-18, 01:15 PM
I feel like Conan would be a Champion / Thief with the Outlander background.

He would be a non-variant Human with better-than-everyone rolls to start out, making him better than everyone at most things, and this trend would accelerate as he gained levels.

He definitely comes form a place/culture where if you aren't naturally Strong, Fast, Tough, Cunning, and Perceptive you die.

That's why from a young age he made as good a thief as a practiced experience professional thief. Ditto with mercenary, Ditto with pirate. He didn't lean thief skills, or mercenary skills, or pirate skills. He used his natural ability, savagery, and ferocity to run roughshod (sandalshod?) over the members of civilization who espoused those professions.

The biggest difference you see in Conan between his younger days and his elder ones is that he learns how to get men to follow him. Which was not something he really needed back in Cimmeria as it seems like the Cimmerians are very individualistic.

Which lines up fairly well with some ASIs in charisma and picking up Inspiring Leader.

I still think the Scout Fighter is the best fit for Conan, but if you look at the core Barbarian abilities it actually lines up really well. Extra damage, reduce damage due to savagery, extra movement, advantage on Dex saves and initiative. It just that there is no subclass that lines up well with Conan, as opposed to the 3 or 4 fighter subclasses that work more than fine.

GreyBlack
2018-10-18, 01:31 PM
This character concept is literally as simple as taking the Outlander background, perhaps coupled with a Chaotic alignment (I interpret Chaotic to mean "Against society" rather than merely "Wild and untamed." Your mileage may vary, this is not an alignment thread). If we're talking someone close to the natural world, go into Ranger.

Wild and untamed mage? Sorcerer and/or Warlock, depending on flavor.

Shaman type? Druid.

Another note, though: you could play a classical style barbarian and just make them someone who comes from another part of the world. Barbarians were originally just people who didn't speak Greek. So... someone from Waterdeep could conceivably call someone from the Moonsea a Barbarian simply because they're not from their part of the world.

Mjolnirbear
2018-10-18, 10:07 PM
Honestly, I've never been a fan of the class, because the word either perceived social class, or another society perceived as uncivilized. Neither of which actually mean 'big brute who goes Hulk all the time'.

Warlocks? Making deals, check.
Clerics? Intermediaries for god,check.
Fighter? Fights. Nailed it.

But barbarian? You can make an exquisitely dressed noblewoman, well versed in poetry and history with a persuasive grin and a keen insight, be a barbarian.

Or you could build an essence-of-barbarian uneducated clod with no social skills that is not, actually a barbarian.

This bothers me on a deep, instinctive level. You could make either of those examples a fighter with no problem. Or a rogue. Or cleric, druid, bard or warlock. Because you can be a noble cleric or uncivilized bard or dumb warlock, but but the name barbarian says 'dumb brute' and doesn't work.

(Yes, you can refluff against the stereotype. But still!)

So to answer op, I'd build it to reflect the actual word in the dictionary. And to the class, I'd rename it. Probably make berserker the name of the class, not of the subclass.

Talyn
2018-10-19, 05:13 PM
Literally any class (except MAYBE the Paladin, and even then, Oath of the Ancients) could make a good 'adventurer from uncivilized lands.' As someone mentioned before, the Outlander background is really all you need for that.

Arkhios
2018-10-21, 01:50 PM
Literally any class (except MAYBE the Paladin, and even then, Oath of the Ancients) could make a good 'adventurer from uncivilized lands.' As someone mentioned before, the Outlander background is really all you need for that.

:biggrin:

To be honest, my 'adventurer from relatively uncivilized lands' is, indeed, a paladin with Oath of the Ancients, and the Uthgardt Tribe Member (renamed as Nordic Tribe Member because we don't play in the Realms) literally uses the Outlander background traits for personality and the others.

So, with that said, I'm aware that literally any class can be made into a 'barbarian' with the Outlander background. That's however not the point of this thread. For the umphteenth time: I'm not looking for advice how I could do it. I'm asking how someone else would do it, if they had to.

Why? Technically for no reason other than curiosity, but on theoretical level, a campaign might revolve around a theme "You are members of a barbarian tribe", and let's face it: in a standard group size of 4-to-6 players not everyone should be actual barbarians. That would be silly – and to be frank – boring.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-22, 12:28 PM
:biggrin:

To be honest, my 'adventurer from relatively uncivilized lands' is, indeed, a paladin with Oath of the Ancients, and the Uthgardt Tribe Member (renamed as Nordic Tribe Member because we don't play in the Realms) literally uses the Outlander background traits for personality and the others.

So, with that said, I'm aware that literally any class can be made into a 'barbarian' with the Outlander background. That's however not the point of this thread. For the umphteenth time: I'm not looking for advice how I could do it. I'm asking how someone else would do it, if they had to.

It's been a fun topic. I like how a lot of us view the class in different ways.

Outside of the tribal stuff do you see the barbarian as an unarmored combatant? Someone who reduces damage by half? Someone who swings heavy weapons? someone who avoids heavy armor? Someone who trades defense for offense?

If you can't get all of the above which do you prioritize.

MagneticKitty
2018-10-22, 12:51 PM
Blood hunter order of lycan

A "rage" mode transformation that makes you resist mundane damage
The ability to use light armor and heavy strength weapons.
The ability to amplify your hits with extra damage damage.

MeeposFire
2018-10-22, 02:40 PM

Outside of the tribal stuff do you see the barbarian as an unarmored combatant? Someone who reduces damage by half? Someone who swings heavy weapons? someone who avoids heavy armor? Someone who trades defense for offense?

Funny most of that stuff is the things I think do not matter in terms of being a barbarian though they are important to the class.

Unarmored is not needed for me (though I do like that they put that in the class since it allows for something cool that would otherwise not work well). Reducing damage by half is very much for the class but that is not something I attribute to the barbarian concept (though being tough would be and of course reducing damage by half helps to show that). Avoiding heavy armor is getting closer though while plate does not seem normal for them variations on chain would not be out of the question so not required to me, Trading offense for defense is cool though not too many classes show that off so I will have to look elsewhere.

Having said that I am going to make a leftish turn and say I would play a monk treated as a barbarian. Rename and flavor key abilities built on speed and ferocity rather than the standard brute strength.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-22, 02:45 PM
Funny most of that stuff is the things I think do not matter in terms of being a barbarian though they are important to the class.

Unarmored is not needed for me (though I do like that they put that in the class since it allows for something cool that would otherwise not work well). Reducing damage by half is very much for the class but that is not something I attribute to the barbarian concept (though being tough would be and of course reducing damage by half helps to show that). Avoiding heavy armor is getting closer though while plate does not seem normal for them variations on chain would not be out of the question so not required to me, Trading offense for defense is cool though not too many classes show that off so I will have to look elsewhere.

Having said that I am going to make a leftish turn and say I would play a monk treated as a barbarian. Rename and flavor key abilities built on speed and ferocity rather than the standard brute strength.

I have contemplated the Outlander Monk that learned his abilities from observing animals rather than in a Monastery.

Pretty Barbaric for sure.

MeeposFire
2018-10-22, 02:47 PM
I have contemplated the Outlander Monk that learned his abilities from observing animals rather than in a Monastery.

It sounds fun.

Bonus points if you play with any former 3e players who still labor under the misconception about how the monk needs to be lawful (or that the barbarian has to be non-lawful but that is less relevant here).

Arkhios
2018-10-22, 03:52 PM
It sounds fun.

Bonus points if you play with any former 3e players who still labor under the misconception about how the monk needs to be lawful (or that the barbarian has to be non-lawful but that is less relevant here).

More bonus points if you play with any whippersnappers who harbor misconceptions that being a barbarian (lower case) means "you must use strength or gtfo" :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2018-10-23, 02:31 AM

Apparently I didn't notice this one earlier, because my inquisitive nature made me try and build a character that does all that without being a Barbarian :P

Regardless of background:
Draconic Sorcerer (extra HP are always nice, and AC 15 is high enough, because Shield is a great spell)
Variant Human (+1 con, +2 str [Weapon Master for those heavy weapons]).
Str 14+1+1 (7), Dex 14 (7), Con 15+1 (9), Int 8 (0), Wis 8 (0), Cha 12 (4); yes, yes, Charisma is ridiculously unoptimal. Who cares!
ASIs in order:
4: Great Weapon Master (always with Quickened True Strike Twinned Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade)
8: Charisma 14
12: Charisma 16
16: Charisma 18
19: Charisma 20 Strength 18

Damage taken can be halved with various Spells (Absorb Elements, Blade Ward, Stoneskin, etc.).
AC is low-ish, but the damage is potentially massive (defense traded for offense).
For a pure sorcerer, hit points are actually quite decent (starts with 10, and increases by 8 each level).
Proficiency isn't absolutely mandatory to swing heavy weapons, but it certainly makes it a lot easier and more efficient.
Armor is avoided out of necessity and by the lack of proficiency.

hamishspence
2018-10-23, 05:41 AM

Kylaia Al Jmaa "The Shang Unicorn" in Tortall Universe (short stories), is a lot like that - though she's only self-taught in the early stages of her career - she does receive some training from a mentor:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/TortallUniverse

BobZan
2018-10-23, 11:49 AM
An angry Tortle Rogue STR-based, Outlander background, expertise in Athletics and Survival

alchahest
2018-10-23, 12:59 PM
Apparently I didn't notice this one earlier, because my inquisitive nature made me try and build a character that does all that without being a Barbarian :P

Regardless of background:
Draconic Sorcerer (extra HP are always nice, and AC 15 is high enough, because Shield is a great spell)
Variant Human (+1 con, +2 str [Weapon Master for those heavy weapons]).
Str 14+1+1 (7), Dex 14 (7), Con 15+1 (9), Int 8 (0), Wis 8 (0), Cha 12 (4); yes, yes, Charisma is ridiculously unoptimal. Who cares!
ASIs in order:
4: Great Weapon Master (always coupled with Quickened True Strike)
8: Charisma 14
12: Charisma 16
16: Charisma 18
19: Charisma 20

Damage taken can be halved with various Spells (Absorb Elements, Stoneskin, etc.).
AC is low-ish, but the damage is potentially massive (defense traded for offense).
For a pure sorcerer, hit points are actually quite decent (starts with 10, and increases by 8 each level).
Proficiency isn't absolutely mandatory to swing heavy weapons, but it certainly makes it a lot easier and more efficient.
Armor is avoided out of necessity and by the lack of proficiency.

The true strike trick - do you mean you're casting it the turn before as a bonus action at the end of your turn?

Vogie
2018-10-23, 01:11 PM
The true strike trick - do you mean you're casting it the turn before as a bonus action at the end of your turn?

Your bonus action can be prior to your normal action. Sorcerers are the only class who can pull that trick off, although Eldritch Knights can do the opposite - cast True Strike, then use the war magic feature to make a single bonus action attack.

BobZan
2018-10-23, 01:20 PM
True strike: "On your next turn, your first attack roll on the target has advantage."

You can quicken it and attack this turn, but you'll only have advantage on your first attack, next turn.

2 sorcery points for that? meh.

MeeposFire
2018-10-23, 01:21 PM
Your bonus action can be prior to your normal action. Sorcerers are the only class who can pull that trick off, although Eldritch Knights can do the opposite - cast True Strike, then use the war magic feature to make a single bonus action attack.

An eldritch knight that uses true strike though will not get the boost on his bonus action attack (well the first time it is used in a combat) since true strike does not work until the next turn.

alchahest
2018-10-23, 01:47 PM
An eldritch knight that uses true strike though will not get the boost on his bonus action attack (well the first time it is used in a combat) since true strike does not work until the next turn.

This is what I was talking about. Sorcerors can cast true strike as a bonus action if they quicken, sure, and EKs can cast then make an attack as a bonus action, but in both cases it won't affect an attack until their next turn.

Vogie
2018-10-23, 01:55 PM
This is what I was talking about. Sorcerors can cast true strike as a bonus action if they quicken, sure, and EKs can cast then make an attack as a bonus action, but in both cases it won't affect an attack until their next turn.

Interesting... I'd been reading True strike wrong.

The rest of my table missed it too. Huh.

Arkhios
2018-10-23, 02:17 PM
Interesting... I'd been reading True strike wrong.

The rest of my table missed it too. Huh.

Apparently I did as well. True Strike is officially the worst cantrip ever designed. Honestly. I can't think of any cantrip worse than that. Even Poison Spray is better as it does its damage immediately.

MeeposFire
2018-10-23, 03:44 PM
True strike is one of those cases where an effect that would be useful is really hurt by the metric tons worth of restrictions and provisions in the spell. It just seems to find all sorts of ways of making it not worth your time.

Arkhios
2018-10-24, 05:30 AM
After I finished the previous (admittedly slightly flawed) non-barbarian barbarian sorcerer, my mind spun off to re-iterate what my current character's ancestor could've looked like, had everything we have available today existed back then.

If that was too complicated: TL;DR - here's a reiteration of my old character who was literally a blood-relative to my current character.

Variant Human (+1 Str, +1 Int; Polearm Master)
Nordic Tribe Member
Wizard (War Magic)
Str 11+1, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 15+1, Wis 8, Cha 9 (3+7+7+9+0+1)
ASI's spent in order: +2 Int, Lightly Armored (+1 Str), Moderately Armored (+1 Str), +2 Int, Actor (+1 Cha). I don't care if it's sub-optimal. I find it's fitting for the character, given the background (see below, if interested).

Born to a nomadic tribe during an otherwordly cold winter storm that cost him not only his mother who died in labour, but his eyesight as well.
Fatherless already before his birth, the orphaned and blind child would've been otherwise tossed to the wolves, but a hobgoblin* from a distant land - a traveling shaman, who had been adopted by the tribe - saw the child's birth as an omen, because almost immediately after the child's birth, the winter storm that had raged almost a decade on end quickly subsided. Instead of allowing the tribe to carry out the gruesome tradition, the shaman took the child as his ward, giving him the moniker of Stormbearer. Over the years, the shaman taught the child ancient traditions of his people, and helped him overcome his deficiency. It took a long time, but in the end, the child learned to "see" with his other senses as if he wasn't blind at all.

*In the setting (a homebrew setting mind you), goblinoids are all but unknown to most people, and in the far north, the people didn't see the shaman as an enemy just because his appearance was different from theirs.

Polearm Master is actually pretty nice feat for just about anyone who knows how to use at least one of the listed weapons, and quarterstaff is actually quite nice, as many magical staves can be wielded in combat as if they were quarterstaves. It's also a funny idea that a wizard would smack you with his staff if you come too close :smallbiggrin:

Strength 12 (eventually 14) is also quite enough for a spellcaster that doesn't even get Extra Attack. By the time the character would be able to learn Tenser's Transformation, having Polearm Master is actually pretty great, and Strength 14 by default adds up to better results.

Actor is chosen purely because it makes certain sense for a seemingly blind person try and use that as an advantage in some situations. Like Marvel's Daredevil.