PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Unconscious (hex, sleep, wild shape, familiar)

Ganders
2018-10-17, 10:14 AM
D&D 5e. There's a quick battle. On one side we have a level 3 human druid (moon), currently in wolf form. On the other side a level 3 human warlock (archfey, chain pact), with a pseudodragon familiar. If it matters, warlock has 21 hp, pseudodragon has 7 hp, and the druid has 21 hp (but 11 hp as a wolf).

Warlock goes first, casting Hex on the druid. The pseudodragon moves forward to attack, but misses.

In response, the druid bites the quasit for 7 damage, but for some reason declares he wants to knock it out rather than kill it.

Now the warlock casts Sleep on the druid, and rolls 28 on 7d8. He does not stop concentrating on his first spell.

The warlock then flees; neither the druid nor the warlock have suffered any lasting injury.

Now, here's the questions:

1) What happens to the pseudodragon? A) It lays on the ground unconscious but stable. B) It disappears, leaving behind no body.

2) What happens to the druid? A) The druid is now a sleeping human for one minute. B) The druid is now an awake human.

3) Is the druid still Hexed? A) Yes. B) No.

4) Can the warlock transfer his Hex to another target five minutes later? A) Yes. B) No.

nickl_2000
2018-10-17, 10:25 AM
1) It disappears leaving no body. The find familiar spell causes them to disappear when their HP reach 0. Knocked unconscious or not, their HP reaches 0 and thus it is poofed.
2) Neither. The Druid stays a wolf and is unconscious for 1 minute (until sleep ends), then wakes up as a wolf with 11 HP still. The Druid didn't take damage to knock them out of wildshape, nor did they dismiss it. So, they stay in wildshape form. Woops, got this wrong. See below me
3) Yes
4) No, the Druid has not dropped to 0 HP so it can't be transferred

Edits:
If the warlock had attacked the Druid and done 11 damage, technically they dropped the Druid to 0 HP and could transfer the Hex. However, the Hex would still be on the Druid (this is where it gets weird). However, being attacked would have woken up the Druid, stopping the sleep spell.

Keravath
2018-10-17, 10:38 AM
Wild shape:
"You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die."

Sleep: "each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage. or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake"

Find Familiar:
"When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form."

Hex:
"If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature."

1) Pseudodragon goes poof at 0 hit points since the spell makes no distinction regarding subdual damage. You can't subdue a familiar since it is a spirit under the command of the caster and not an actual creature.

2) Druid is asleep in human form. The sleep spell puts 28 hit points of creatures to sleep. This is sufficient to put the druid in wolf form to sleep - sleep causes uncounsciousness which causes the wild shape to drop and the druid to revert to his orginal form.

The druid remains asleep since the change in wild shape does not meet the criteria in the sleep spell to wake the druid up.

3) Yes. The druid is still hexed and will be for the next hour.

4) No. The druid has not dropped to zero hit points so the hex can't be moved.

Ganders
2018-10-17, 11:05 AM
Followup: After the warlock flees, someone else comes along and knocks the druid out with a quarterstaff, and then someone heals the druid.

5) Now is the druid still hexed? A) Yes. B) No.

6) Now can the warlock transfer the hex to another target? A) Yes. B) No.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-10-17, 11:08 AM
Doesn't the Hex end?

I'm no expert, but here's what the PH says about concentration:
"Normal activity, such as moving and attacking, doesn’t interfere with Concentration. The following factors can break concentration:...Casting another spell that requires Concentration. You lose Concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires Concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once."

My interpretation of this has always been that the mere act of casting another spell which has the concentration tag ends your ability to concentrate upon the previous concentration spell, whether you thereafter maintain concentration upon the new spell or not. Am I wrong about this (I don't think so)?

sophontteks
2018-10-17, 11:12 AM
Hex gives you the choice of moving the spell to a new target if they drop to zero hitpoints. It doesn't leave the target on its own. They didn't drop to zero hitpoints at all in this case, but I thought I'd point that out.

JackPhoenix
2018-10-17, 01:21 PM
Nothing happens to the pseudodragon. The druid attacked a quasit that appeared somehow. If the pseudodragon *was* attacked, it would be gone, as familiars disappear when they hit 0 hp.

The druid reverts to human form, but he's still unconscious, his hit points only mattered to Sleep when it was cast.

The druid is still affected by Hex, and the warlock is unable to switch it, as the druid never hit 0 hp... Sleep doesn't cause damage, and his form was changed back to human without the animal hitting 0 hp.

Snip

Sleep doesn't need concentration

Guy Lombard-O
2018-10-17, 01:48 PM
Sleep doesn't need concentration.

Right you are, sir. I knew that but missed it. Sorry to have taken the thread off on that unfortunate tangent. Thanks.