PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Dark Heresy character help

GuestEleven
2018-10-17, 01:21 PM
Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. I am trying to make a character for Dark Heresy and I'm basing it off of the the cover art for the Inquisitor's Handbook.

If you don't know the cover art of the book this is it:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/3eb2c921-d9cb-4edc-bff5-faa753b06d0f_1.c90cd0404eac3bba6b22685bf3b66fdd.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

I want to know what you guys may think the items are, and what classes would be quickest for recreating this character. He is obviously holding some kind of heavy weapon. Another player said that it looks like he is wearing power armor? That doesn't seem right to me, but I am completely new to the setting and system.

As for the actual character I am making, he is an Inquisitor in training. So from my understanding that makes him an Interrogator, is there a class for that? I could use any talent, skill and class suggestions.

Thanks for all your help guys.

noob
2018-10-17, 01:30 PM
Maybe it is carapace armor?
Or just a lower grade armor.
I believe power armor is a name used only for high grade mechanized armors.
Interrogator is a role that can be given to many people with utterly different skills.
Since that person is entirely covered it could be anything from a promoted guardsmen to a psycker or a techpriest(or even a commissar) thrown in the role.

GuestEleven
2018-10-17, 01:32 PM
Maybe it is carapace armor?
Or just a lower grade armor.
Interrogator is a role that can be given to many people with utterly different skills.
Since that person is entirely covered it could be anything from a promoted guardsmen to a psycker or a techpriest(or even a commissar) thrown in the role.

Isn't carapace armor made from creatures? And I agree, it is hard to tell. I just qant opinions of what best fits. If this helps at all, I imagine the character to have been trained for this role for most of his life.

noob
2018-10-17, 02:00 PM
Isn't carapace armor made from creatures? And I agree, it is hard to tell. I just qant opinions of what best fits. If this helps at all, I imagine the character to have been trained for this role for most of his life.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Carapace_Armour

It looks quite different from what you have but there is really a lot of other designs for carapace armor.
I have the feeling from that description that carapace armor is not necessarily made from creatures

Inquisitors can have a lot of varied needs so you can basically pick if you are a nerdy interrogator who spends his time on a data pad spying though well placed cameras or an interrogator who was trained all the time for rushing in with a group of men and filling with lead heretics or an interrogator which goes hidden and kill the heretics one by one and manage to make sure nobody knows there is inquisition here.
Or the interrogator which is a psycker and which role is to poke mentally at heretic stuff and then explode.
Or the interrogator which have the highest count of inquisitors killed "accidentally" on the orders of his real inquisitor and which knows how to hide the truth to his "superiors". (In a grimdark world the inquisition also inspects the inquisition)
or you can see the varied orders in the inquisition and decide to play an interrogator that is here to kill all xenos but usually players in dark heresy are very often in the ordo hereticus or whatever was called the group that is here to kill heretics.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisition

There is three main known groups of inquisition: Ordo Malleus(kills warpy stuff), Ordo Hereticus(kills heretics) and Ordo Xenos(kills xenos)
Then there is the space time inquisition that manage problems in space time and many other varied groups of inquisitors.

The inquisition is vast and have tons of varied needs and inquisitor as well as interrogator are titles that can be given to many people and there is countless ways to inspect,track and get rid of the varied opponents of mankind so you could do nearly everything you want.
However it is rather normal if you think "shooting heretics is fun" and then decide that you will simply shoot every heretic you meet and seek them with all the technics you have.

GuestEleven
2018-10-17, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at more of an intellectual, team leader, ballistics expert. Good at using tactics, information gathering, diplomacy, and using ballistics weaponry. The character was basically raised towards the path of the Inquisition, in my mind he has excelled in all of his studies and practices. A bit of a Mary Sue.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-10-17, 03:34 PM
Looks like he's holding a storm bolter to me.

noob
2018-10-17, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at more of an intellectual, team leader, ballistics expert. Good at using tactics, information gathering, diplomacy, and using ballistics weaponry. The character was basically raised towards the path of the Inquisition, in my mind he has excelled in all of his studies and practices. A bit of a Mary Sue.

Actually with those objectives you have some stats that you do not need to maximize(but you are probably going to need loads of experience points): strength and willpower(you can maybe find other stats you can keep low)
Willpower is however a very useful defensive stat so it is very sad if you can not get a correct amount of willpower.
for having that character good at all those things at once at start you are probably going to need a lot of experience so if the team is balanced the other members of the team are also probably going to have loads of initial experience.

And if you have an interrogator that good that is not already an inquisitor it means that it have an hard time getting judged up to his true value so for compensating a bit his mary sueness you can say that his superiors do not like him and try to find a trait that would make him unlikable by his superiors.

hamishspence
2018-10-17, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the main image is a Sister of Battle, wearing light power armour. In Blood of Martyrs, it's made clear that Sororitas armour only grants a +10 Str bonus (which is standard for light power armour).

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Battle_Sister

Florian
2018-10-17, 06:24 PM
Thatīs a Battle Sister in typical power armor and with a storm bolter. Rules for creating one can be found in Blood of Martyrs.

GuestEleven
2018-10-17, 06:36 PM
Thatīs a Battle Sister in typical power armor and with a storm bolter. Rules for creating one can be found in Blood of Martyrs.

I'm pretty sure the main image is a Sister of Battle, wearing light power armour. In Blood of Martyrs, it's made clear that Sororitas armour only grants a +10 Str bonus (which is standard for light power armour).

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Battle_Sister

Is it really? That shocks me. I'm quite familiar with Blood of Martyrs, but I'm not making a female character. Not for the sake of sexism, just that my last few characters I have made have been female.

Can you guys give me the stats and price on the bolter and light power armor?

Florian
2018-10-17, 07:09 PM
As for the actual character I am making, he is an Inquisitor in training. So from my understanding that makes him an Interrogator, is there a class for that? I could use any talent, skill and class suggestions.

Ha ha! High hopes, acolyte!

Yes, there is an Interrogator class and it is intended to start high level games, so you can actually enter it once you have finished all ranks of any regular class. (See: Ascension)

You might try a Cleric with the alternate ranks Redemptionionist and Calixian Witchfinder instead.

Is it really? That shocks me. I'm quite familiar with Blood of Martyrs, but I'm not making a female character. Not for the sake of sexism, just that my last few characters I have made have been female.

Can you guys give me the stats and price on the bolter and light power armor?

Oh, you're missing out on something. Battle Sister is quite possible the most powerful class in the game because of the faith talents.

Storm Bolter is on p. 114 of Blood of Martyrs, Sororitas Power Armor on p. 118 (Itīs a variant of Light Power Armor from the core rules)

GuestEleven
2018-10-17, 07:15 PM
Ha ha! High hopes, acolyte!

Yes, there is an Interrogator class and it is intended to start high level games, so you can actually enter it once you have finished all ranks of any regular class. (See: Ascension)

You might try a Cleric with the alternate ranks Redemptionionist and Calixian Witchfinder instead.

Oh, you're missing out on something. Battle Sister is quite possible the most powerful class in the game because of the faith talents.

Storm Bolter is on p. 114 of Blood of Martyrs, Sororitas Power Armor on p. 118 (Itīs a variant of Light Power Armor from the core rules)

Thanks man, and I know exactly how strong the faith talents are. My last character was actually a redemptionist. Super bad ass. Too bad she died in a horrofic explosion that she was partially to blame for.

GuestEleven
2018-10-17, 07:50 PM
Oh, I should also add that I have 3,100 exp to spend in creation, also 1 years worth of wages.

Chijinda
2018-10-18, 06:20 PM

Sounds like an Arbitrator-- easy advancement for Ballistic Skill and Intelligence and decent Fellowship.