PDA

View Full Version : Westeros themed names

Ronnocius
2018-10-17, 08:51 PM
In my games I like to name characters in a fashion similar to some of the names of the Song of Ice and Fire novels. Typically this involves taking a familiar name and slightly changing the spelling (example: Aaron becomes Aron, Peter becomes Petyr etc)

I have come up with a small list of names but I am curious if anyone can think of more.

EDIT: Some of the names I have include:

Nolan = Nolunn
Eric = Erec/Errek/etc
Adam = Adem
Mason = Masen/Masinn
Jason = Jasen/Jasin
Jordan = Jordun/Jordin
Daniel = Danwell

Elistan
2018-10-17, 08:53 PM
Why don't you share your list so you don't have people listing names you have already thought of?

hamishspence
2018-10-18, 07:15 AM
EDIT: Some of the names I have include:

Nolan = Nolunn
Eric = Erec/Errek/etc
Adam = Adem
Mason = Masen/Masinn
Jason = Jasen/Jasin
Jordan = Jordun/Jordin
Daniel = Danwell

Mason, at least, derives from the stonemason profession - doesn't need a spelling change.

hymer
2018-10-18, 07:40 AM
Mason, at least, derives from the stonemason profession - doesn't need a spelling change.
Why would you need a spelling change? I believe the intention is just to make you think this place is similar, but different, to the world we know. As for Masen, it could be an old or mistaken spelling. The surname Jupitus (of Phill fame) is a mistake made in writing the Lithuanian surname Šeputis at one point, e.g. Since these seem to be first names, the Mason kid was probably not named for being great at his profession. :smallwink:

Some more neymes:
Olfred (Alfred), Asc (Ash), Kenrik (Cenric), Dunston (Dunstan), Edmind (Edmund), Godrig (Godric), Osmend (Osmund), Osweld/Uswald (Oswald), Willfred/Welfrid (Wilfred).

Ronnocius
2018-10-18, 05:10 PM
Why would you need a spelling change? I believe the intention is just to make you think this place is similar, but different, to the world we know. As for Masen, it could be an old or mistaken spelling. The surname Jupitus (of Phill fame) is a mistake made in writing the Lithuanian surname Šeputis at one point, e.g. Since these seem to be first names, the Mason kid was probably not named for being great at his profession. :smallwink:

Some more neymes:
Olfred (Alfred), Asc (Ash), Kenrik (Cenric), Dunston (Dunstan), Edmind (Edmund), Godrig (Godric), Osmend (Osmund), Osweld/Uswald (Oswald), Willfred/Welfrid (Wilfred).

This is correct. I like this types of names because they are familiar (and generally not too hard to remember/pronounce) while still being different than regular real-world names. Thanks for your neymes.

willdaBEAST
2018-10-18, 05:25 PM
Patrick = Patrek
Steven = Stefan
Nina = Neena

GlenSmash!
2018-10-18, 05:28 PM
This may seem like a simple request of the forum, but its actually quite tedious to try and fudge a potentially infinite list of common name spellings.

It would be far easier to come up with simple names you like and then google alternative spellings.

There are tons of Baby name sites that would help.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-10-19, 02:13 PM
There are tons of Baby name sites that would help.

This one (http://www.babynamewizard.com/blog), for instance, which has a really interesting blog that I would recommend to just about anyone. :smallsmile:

She even wrote about the rise of ASoIaF-inspired naming in the real world, when that started to be a thing.

Ganymede
2018-10-19, 02:22 PM
Jimothy is a good one, as is Jerrence.

hamishspence
2018-10-20, 05:07 AM
Steven = Stefan

Stefan, at least, is pretty "real-world". Staven, I've seen though in fiction - sounds like a "language drift" version of Steven.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-20, 09:59 AM
This one (http://www.babynamewizard.com/blog), for instance, which has a really interesting blog that I would recommend to just about anyone. :smallsmile:

She even wrote about the rise of ASoIaF-inspired naming in the real world, when that started to be a thing.

I often use those to generate character names.

That looks like a good one.

Beleriphon
2018-10-20, 01:56 PM
https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/got-westeros-names.php

There we go, customer made just for this topic.

Ronnocius
2018-10-20, 03:59 PM
https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/got-westeros-names.php

There we go, customer made just for this topic.

Thanks! I had seen this before but lost the link.

willdaBEAST
2018-10-20, 08:35 PM
Stefan, at least, is pretty "real-world". Staven, I've seen though in fiction - sounds like a "language drift" version of Steven.

It's a bit of a nod to a blogger at towerofthehand, a fan site for ASOIAF