PDA

View Full Version : Ethergaunt weapon

Sto
2018-10-17, 09:14 PM
Alright playgrounders I need your help. As i do not at this time have access to the book Ethergaunt is in, I need to tell me if my three assumptions about the weird glaive thing they have are correct.

1. It does force damage as an extraordinary ability.
2. It does 1d10 damage.
3. The range on it's blast is 120 feet.

Thanks ahead of time!

Edit: I think they're in the Fiend Folio.

Thurbane
2018-10-17, 09:36 PM
1. Ex or Su is not mentioned. They are spelled out as working in an antimagic field, so they can't be Su
2. 1d6 force damage ranged, 1d10 slashing in melee
3. Range increment of 40 feet

Fiend Folio p.68.

daremetoidareyo
2018-10-17, 10:19 PM
Ahem

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519659-Optimize-this-Weapon-EtherBlade-from-Fiend-Folio-p-68

A cleric that worships the ethergaunts with the heretic of the faith feat and war domain gets proficiency. Then add weapon augment crystals and throw on a rogue twf build.

Sto
2018-10-18, 06:58 AM
Thanks to both of you! I wasn't sure how to get proficiency in the thing.

Mechalich
2018-10-18, 07:13 AM
A cleric that worships the ethergaunts with the heretic of the faith feat...

Is dead and their soul has been eternally shredded and cast into the black spaces between planes. I mean seriously, on the list of things the Ethergaunts will absolutely, positively, certainly annihilate you for, having the temerity to worship them is very close to number one. In fact they probably kill anything that even expresses the precognitive intent of trying such a trick.

Wielding an Etherblade is all very well, the Khen-Zai couldn't care less, it's not like they have a shortage or have any concept of attachment to inanimate objects they way religious entities do, but you'll need to figure out some other way to get proficiency if you intend to survive doing so.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-18, 09:44 AM
Proficiency: psychic warrior with soulbound weapon acf. Use your ability to add special abilities to add the skillful property.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-18, 11:00 AM
A skillful/morphing weapon could turn into one, which anyone wielding would then be proficient with.

Even better if this is added to Hank's Bow/Taulmaril.

Sto
2018-10-18, 11:03 AM
So from what I can tell, in order to be a PC with this weapon, I'd need to A: find a class feature that gives me proficiency in any weapon I'm holding, and B: figure out how to write the thing into my story or just have a bunch of ranks in Know: planes? Sounds fun. Thanks to all who answered!

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually used the Ethergaunts or whatever their real name is as a villain? If so, how did your players react?

Bronk
2018-10-18, 11:26 AM
You could also gain proficiency using the Aptitude enhancement...

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-18, 11:35 AM
You could also gain proficiency using the Aptitude enhancement...This would be especially useful if you're already a race that gains a weapon proficiency feat, such as elves or kobolds. Less so if you have to manually take Weapon Proficiency as a feat.

Ignimortis
2018-10-18, 11:39 AM
So from what I can tell, in order to be a PC with this weapon, I'd need to A: find a class feature that gives me proficiency in any weapon I'm holding, and B: figure out how to write the thing into my story or just have a bunch of ranks in Know: planes? Sounds fun. Thanks to all who answered!

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually used the Ethergaunts or whatever their real name is as a villain? If so, how did your players react?

Take one level of Warblade and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any weapon you'd like). Practice with the Ethergaunt thingy for an hour, switch your proficiency to it.

Sto
2018-10-18, 11:42 AM
Take one level of Warblade and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any weapon you'd like). Practice with the Ethergaunt thingy for an hour, switch your proficiency to it.

I don't believe it's listed as an exotic weapon, but I'm sure I could convince a DM that it being exotic is reasonable. It'd be a conversation starter and a wonderful tool to pull out when an AMF gets dropped.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-18, 12:27 PM
I don't believe it's listed as an exotic weapon, but I'm sure I could convince a DM that it being exotic is reasonable. It'd be a conversation starter and a wonderful tool to pull out when an AMF gets dropped.See if you can craft it as a Device, from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood. Devices are non-magical magic items that are basically Frankensteined together, vis-à-vis mad SCIENCE!!! The main cost is that you have to spend a considerable sum on fuel cells that are (mostly) limited use; the cells that are refillable are significantly more expensive than the limited use ones.

Then you can enhance your (+1 morphing/skillful/aptitude Hank's bow) ethergaunt glaive via non-magical weapon enhancements. Add explosive and exit wounds for even more fun.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-18, 04:15 PM
Aside from Skillful, you could also cheese it with Aptitude +1 instead of +2, but you'd need specifically called out weapon proficiency feats to swap it for. Either elven racial proficiencies, or EWP whatever. In those cases it gets interesting, because aptitude will allow it to be treated mechanically as a martial or exotic weapon (I can't think of any particularly useful mechanics that would matter, but it's there nonetheless)

Another thing to consider, reloading. The other reason aside from proficiency I suggested using Soulbound weapon Psychic Warrior is that Call Weapon should replenish its ammo with every casting, whereas the only other way to get one recharged is with the help of an Ethergaunt. (good luck with that)

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-18, 04:26 PM
The reloading issue is why I suggested using a morphing device Hank's bow. Infini-ammo.

Mechalich
2018-10-18, 07:49 PM

Ethergaunts are almost stupidly OP. They are smarter than literally everything else in the game while also being powerful wizards - the game's most powerful class - and having a bunch of secondary abilities that synchronize with making them better wizards than you will ever be. If a group of Ethergaunts that is remotely equal in power to your party is deliberately trying to kill you, your party is dead, disintegrated, and their souls ground into cosmic dust, thanks for playing.

As such the only real way to utilize Ethergaunts as antagonists (they do work great as cryptic manipulator NPCs on nobody's side) is as semi-random encounters where a party that is off doing something happens to run into Ethergaunts in the vicinity for some reason and combat breaks out.

Essentially these guys are too awesome to use effectively.