PDA

View Full Version : Change to circle of Spores Druid

Fbj
2018-10-18, 12:50 AM
I think the spores druid from UA is pretty cool, but I can't fully get past how common poison immunity is. It wrecks the effectiveness of the subclass whenever elementals, fiends, or undead show up. So I thought that it would make sense for the interesting but fairly weak level six ability to create 1 hp zombies to be replaced with something that would assist in that regard. Here's what I came up with.

-At sixth level, your spores gain the ability to invade the bodies of your opponents and alter their physiology to your advantage. As an action on your turn, you may launch spores at a creature you can see within 10 ft of you. These spores deal no damage, and instead subject the creature to your choice of one of the following effects.

.If the creature has resistance to poison damage, it no longer has resistance to poison damage dealt by you for the next minute.
.If the creature is immune to poison damage, its immunity is treated as resistance to poison damage dealt by you for the next minute.
.The creature's speed is reduced by 10 ft for the next 10 minutes
.The creature suffers a -5 penalty to passive perception and all perception checks for the next 10 minutes.

You may use this feature a number of times per long rest equal to your wisdom modifier. You may not use your reaction to deal halo of spores damage on the turn when you activate this feature. Once the duration of an effect ends on a creature, they cannot be targeted with this feature again for 24 hours. Only one effect can be active on a creature at a time, and you may not use this feature on another creature while it persists on one creature.-

So what do people think? does this seem good? I figure its pretty balanced since all it does is allow you to continue doing what you normally do (or it provides a moderate debuff when there is no need to overcome resistance). Any thoughts? I Considered having it depend on a constitution saving throw but since halo of spores damage doesn't I figured this was more thematic and effective if it didn't.

Maxilian
2018-10-18, 09:43 AM
The last things shown of the Spore druids made some changes to the subclass, one of the main change, was changing the damage type to Necrotic from Poison, so you could just apply that change (or even better, allow your Player to do Poison or Necrotic damage)

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/10/05/revealed-circle-of-spores-druid-from-guildmasters-guide-to-ravnica/

Vogie
2018-10-18, 09:49 AM
I actually like using the Spores druid as an amazing mechanical skeleton you can put other concepts over by talking with your DM.

Change "Spores" and "Poison damage" to:

Ash & Fire damage, and you have a Wildfire Druid
Snow & Cold damage, and you have a Blizzard Druid
insects & necrotic damage, and you have a Blight Druid
And so on.