PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know where your towel is?(skill)

BRC
2007-09-17, 10:22 PM
Skill: Use Towel (int)
Use Towel governs the ability to think up, and then properly utilize your towel for the current situation. The towel has countless uses, and often its just a matter of thinking of the right one for your current situation. The DC should be based on how useful one would generally consider a towel to be in the current situation, for example, a low DC situation would be somthing like somebody has spilled something and you quickly mop it up with your towel. a medium DC situation would be somthing along the lines of being faced with a vicious bugblatter beast of blarg, and remembering to put the towel over your head so it thinks you arn't there. A high DC situation would be using your towel as a cape to augment your bluff roll to convince the city guards that you are an out-of-work superhero.
A Towel is very useful, this is a must-have skill for almost anybody, though surprisingly the powerful Vorpal Towel has comparitvly limited uses, as people who attempt to dry themselve with it end up being cut in half.

DanielLC
2007-09-18, 07:42 PM
I think you meant the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

In NetHack (the game Order of the ASCII is in) one of the items is a towel, which you can put over your head to protect against anything with a gaze attack (I only know of the floating eye, but I didn't play very long.)

If anyone doesn't see why this skill is important, I'd suggest reading about towels (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A138232) and their many uses.

Hazkali
2007-09-19, 08:56 AM
Obviously, this calls for a new weapon...:smallbiggrin:

Exotic Weapon
{table]Name | Cost | Damage (S) | Damage (M) | Critical | Range | Weight | Type

Attack Towel | 5gp | d3* | d4* | x4 | - | 2lb | Bludgeoning
[/table]
* The towel does non-lethal damage

Special: Characters proficient with the towel may use it to perform disarm attacks (wrapping it around the enemy's weapon).

And a feat...

Towel Whip [Ambush]
Pre-requisites: Sneak Attack 2d6
Effect: When making a sneak attack with the towel against a character with no armour and a natural armour bonus of +1 or less, the character may sacrifice 1d6 points of sneak attack damage in order to do "Painful Buttock" damage. The affected character must make a Fortitude save against DC 10+ damage dealt that round by the towel, or else be Shaken for d6 rounds (A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks).

BRC
2007-09-19, 11:15 AM

Ah thank you for correcting me.

A whole list of useful towels should be created!

Yeril
2007-09-19, 11:18 AM
+2 Undeadbane Towl of Disruption!

*mental image of fighter jocks whipping the lich wizard nerd in the locker rooms*

blue_fenix
2007-09-19, 11:53 AM
Feat: Frood who Knows Where his Towel is
Prerequisite: Use Towel, 5 ranks
When taking this feat, the frood designates one towel or towel-like object as "his towel." The frood is now aware at all times of the approximate distance and direction to his towel. He may also spend a full-round action to discern the location of the nearest towel or towel-like object. If his towel is permanently lost or destroyed, the frood must wait at least 24 hours before acquiring a new towel to designate as "his towel" This is an extraordinary ability.

Feat: Towel Empathy
Prerequisite: Frood who Knows Where his Towel is
The Frood gains a +5 bonus on Use Towel Checks with the towel designated by his Frood who Knows Where his Towel is feat. This is an extraordinary ability.

NakedCelt
2007-09-20, 02:43 AM
A whole list of useful towels should be created!

No, it shouldn't — the reason why the towel is such a useful object is that it can be used for so many different things. Rather, a whole list of uses for towels should be created.

Kagan
2007-09-20, 04:13 AM
Speaking of which, is there a decent amount of easily accessible Hitchhiker d20 material out there to be found?

dr.cello
2007-09-20, 04:14 AM

In NetHack (the game Order of the ASCII is in) one of the items is a towel, which you can put over your head to protect against anything with a gaze attack (I only know of the floating eye, but I didn't play very long.)

If anyone doesn't see why this skill is important, I'd suggest reading about towels (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A138232) and their many uses.

Medusa has a gaze attack, and I think the cockatrice might. Probably a few other monsters. The towel is also useful for wiping your face -and- hands (without a towel you can just wipe your face), and being blindfolded allows you to use telepathy.

Skelengar
2007-09-20, 08:17 AM
Feat: towel hitchhiking
perquisite: Frood who Knows Where his Towel is
If the frood knows where his towel is, he gets a +5 bonus on diplomacy checks made to obtain free stuff, including, but not limited to, food, supplies, a place to sleep, and transportation. To gain the benefits of this feat, he must indicate that he knows where his towel is.

Someone should make a hichiker prestige class.

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-20, 08:17 AM
Suggested uses for towels within skills;

Appraise - A clean towel can be spread on the ground to provide a comfortable surface to sit on if no table or seat is available
Balance - twirl the towel around your head to act as a gyroscope, or place it on the ground to improve traction or dry damp (and thus slippery) surfaces.
Bluff - If you can travel around the galaxy and keep hold of your towel...
Climb - Use it as a rope or wrap it around your hands to use as gloves
Concentration - Use as a blindfold to remove distractions
Craft - See appraise
Decipher Script - Use it as an emergency writing surface
Diplomacy - Who can say no to a towel owner?
Disable Device - Forget spanners, throw a towel in the works
Disguise - "I am an out of work super hero"
Escape Artist - keep it wrapped around your arms so it can be removed to loosen ropes.
Forgery - "What do you mean I can't use cheques printed on a towel?"
Gather Information - "Hello fellow towel owner...."
Handle Animal - Animals like towels
Heal - Use it as a bandage
Hide - Use it as camoflage on a beach
Intimidate - No one will mess with someone who know's where their towel is.
Jump - Use it to glide
Knowledge - See concentration
Listen - See knowledge
Move Silently - Wrap it around your feet
Open Lock - Push it under the door, push the key out of the lock and pull it back in.
Perform - TOWEL DANCE!
Profession - Be a professional TOWEL DANCER!
Ride - Use it as blinkers
Search - Use it as a sieve
Sense Motive - Can you trust someoen without a towel
Sleight Of Hand - Keep your hands warm
Speak Language - Everyone understands what a towel is
Spellcraft - Wipe sweat off of your forehead
Spot - Hold your towel up to act as a contrast to the enviroment
Survival - Use it to hold water, as a hammock, etc the possibilities are endless
Swim - Dry yourslef afterwards
Tumble - Put ot over your face to prevent grazes
Use Magic Device - The enchanted towel of dryness?
Use Rope - use it as a rope

BRC
2007-09-20, 12:09 PM
This thread has inspired me to make THIS thread
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3221560#post3221560