PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors – a tough challenge

nonsi
2018-10-18, 07:10 AM

I'm trying to create a class that revolves entirely around mirrors.
I don't want it to have spells, because:

That would allow spellcasters, at least partially, to beat it at its own shtick.
I don't want anti-magic to serve as an off switch to this class.

I searched for a while but couldn't find anything noteworthy, so I'm now looking for ideas and anything goes, from random thought fragments to a full class design.

khadgar567
2018-10-18, 07:59 AM
I gonna leave this here with bit of warlock flavor you can probably create something
https://paladins.gamepedia.com/Ying

nonsi
2018-10-18, 11:32 AM
I gonna leave this here with bit of warlock flavor you can probably create something
https://paladins.gamepedia.com/Ying

Thanks. I actually managed to draw some ideas from that page.

Now that I think of it, I don't really have a name for this class.
The closest I can come up with is "Mirror Man" / "Mirror Master" / "Mirrormancer" - all of which are quite lame, but nothing more appropriate comes to mind (anyone having suggestions in Latin? :smallbiggrin:).

aimlessPolymath
2018-10-18, 12:19 PM
Mirrors:
-General glass related stuff- sharp edges to attack.
-Travel through mirrors- either using mirrors to enter some kind of mirror world, or just hiding in reflective objects. Relatedly, trapping people with or in their reflections: See the myth of Narssisius(sp?)
-False images or copies of things; illusions, especially those that make something appear to be somewhere else. Stealing someone's image?
-Related to that, I am reminded of an experiment in which by an optical illusion, people react to a hammer smashing a fake hand held over their own- even though they feel no pain.
-There was a monster in MM2 or 3 that was made of mirrors- I remember very little about it except that it was (I think) weak to sonic attacks, though.
-Magic mirrors that show something other than what is reflected in them- either a different place, or reflecting a particular aspect of what is seen in them- the mirror of Erised, or a mirror that reflects alignment, or something.

DapperReaper
2018-10-18, 03:25 PM
hmmm makes me think of that one sidereal martial arts style from exalted 2.5 think it was called "obsidian shards of infinity" or something like that, remember it having a bunch of mirror themes to it, might consider looking it up for more inspiration

Goaty14
2018-10-18, 08:29 PM
I dunno about you, but when I think of mirrors, I somehow end up at little portable "ring gates" that the user can use to stick his hands/weapons through and attack with, a little like a "through the looking glass" -esque thing, except it's teleportation.

nineGardens
2018-10-18, 10:34 PM
Hmmmm....

If you haven't read "Pact" yet (a webnovel) it would be a good place for ideas... although also rather long, so....

Ideas....

Character is actually two characters- One inside the real world, one inside the mirror. They can swap places with one another as needed.

Character is very much a "Dark Link" Archetype. They are a shapeshifter- obligated to be a shapeshifter, and when in combat they always appear as a reflection of their enemy and have access to those abilties (Honestly, probably a pain in the ass rules wise, and problematic if your PC always equal and opposite to the boss or whatever, but is an idea).

This character is the living reflection of ONE OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS.
For the rest of the game that character does not have a reflection.
NOTE: the reflection is not obligated to have the same alignment or choices as the original.
They are effectively a magical(?) being from the realm of reflections and thus... presumably could be banished? (Then again, you said you didn't want them to be vulnerable to anti-magic).
So... in order to make them their own class, presumably you want them to have/start with similar feats/abilities etc to their original... and then gain access to other stuff?
You want them to have SOME things in common with the original, but also have some things that make them distinct.
If you went the "pair" route, I'd consider such things as having abilities that transfer damage back and forther between the two copies- bonuses to aiding one another, and potentially such things as "Buffs that effect one effect both".
If you went this route, I'd say you'd want to find a way that both players were paying equally and gaining equally level-up wise.

Alternatively, you could just be a living reflection of Sam, and have you're own life going on, and get a few mirror themed abilities- probably Rouge like.

Another way to play it is some sort of magical/Karmic mirror.
Abilities that let you reflect spells back upon their caster... potentially other forms of damage....

And finally....
You are a person with a huge parabolic mirror, and you use it as a siege weapon to set fire to ships.

nonsi
2018-10-20, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Gave me a lot to work with :smallcool:
I have something that's partially cooked already and needs finalization.
The class is already quite packed with features and revolves around enhanced sensory capabilities, portive powers and summoning reflections and mirror stuff from the mirror dimension into the physical world.

The thing I'm most lacking right now is a half decent name for this class.
I'm still stuck with "Mirror Man" / "Mirror Master" / "Mirrormancer", and they're all pretty lame.

nonsi
2018-10-20, 05:14 AM
Btw, I took some ideas from "Dr. Strange" (the movie).
One thing I wanted to express was the ability to fold space within the mirror dimension, but:
1. Actually navigating a parallel reality is equivalent in power to Etherealness, so it'll be something that belong to the higher pre-epic levels, if at all.
2. I couldn't formulate rules for space-folding like they did in the movie and I'm totally empty on that one.

2018-10-20, 06:08 AM
Maybe take some inspiration from the Paragon Of Duality (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503845), illumination subschool?