PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Extremly Large Group.

seventh_soul
2018-10-18, 09:44 AM
I am taking part in a event where there may be anywhere between 10-40 players with varing levels of experience. The event is run by a local school and they may not be acounting for so many people. As I have played 5e for a couple years what should I bring to help them out? It will be 45 minutes every tuesday and thursday for a month. It is starting on October 30th and I do not have the ability to contact the organizer. Any things I should bring to help out?

Laserlight
2018-10-18, 09:53 AM
I am taking part in a event where there may be anywhere between 10-40 players with varing levels of experience. The event is run by a local school and they may not be accounting for so many people. As I have played 5e for a couple years what should I bring to help them out? It will be 45 minutes every tuesday and thursday for a month. It is starting on October 30th and I do not have the ability to contact the organizer. Any things I should bring to help out?

Each session is 45 minutes?

I'd bring....DMs, dice sets, pencils, pregen character sheets.

nickl_2000
Serious:
-A large white board/markers to keep track of initiative.
-As many PHBs/XGEs/Open SRD printouts as you can get a hold of.
-A huge bucket full of dice so everyone has enough.
-Show up early to help out players understand the PCs and help the DM answer questions
-5-10 spare characters that are relatively simple that you can pass out to players if they show up and have nothing.
-Many quick look up print outs of conditions and what they do to pass to players

More tongue in cheek
-Alcohol to give to the DM afterwards (if of age) to relax after trying to lead 20 school age children through a game.
-Tylenol/Headache meds for above reasons
-A cell phone signal blocker for getting rid of cell phone distractions
-A whistle to get everyone's attention when it degrades
-A taser when people ignore the whistle
-A cattle prod when the taser isn't enough.

Will add more if I think of them.

iTreeby
Few pieces of really large graph paper. One to organize play day groups and one for your "westmarches" map.

Vogie
2018-10-18, 10:08 AM
Few pieces of really large graph paper. One to organize play day groups and one for your "westmarches" map.

West Marches style gameplay + One shots is the best thing to do in this situation. That way any player can show up, and get assigned to a DM for that night's adventure... and they'll be back in the town/caravan by the end of the session, available to be reassigned and adventure anew when they return next week.

Keravath
2018-10-18, 10:34 AM
Are they expecting your help?
If you need to contact the organizer then perhaps call the school and attempt to reach them, assuming you know the name of the responsible individual?

It doesn't sound like you are organizing the event or involved in the organization since you don't seem to be able to get in touch with them. Are you a prospective player at the event?

In any case, the most helpful things you could probably bring as an individual not involved in the organization of the event would be ..
Dice, books, pencils/paper.

10 to 40 people would require up to 5 or 6 folks running tables (assuming groups of 7 or 8 are ok). Presumably, whoever is organizing it will also have pre-generated character for a variety of races/classes/genders available ... or each party may be set with a specific group of characters and each player chooses one.

With a 45 minute time limit ... this really means one or two encounters ... with it being run at a school it may have a stronger focus on exploration/social interaction/planning to achieve a group objective/overcoming obstacles/team building rather than a combat focus. Whoever put together the module/adventure likely kept these things in mind.

In any case, whoever is actually organizing it likely has a plan ... and I'd suggest if you want to contribute to that you try calling the school to get in touch with the people who are organizing the event.

LordEntrails
2018-10-18, 11:24 AM
A positive attitude. Willingness to help, and a willingness not to butt in. Make sure your helpfulness is not just one more thing the organizers have to manage.

But, bring dice you're willing to share. Pencils, paper and whiteboards really should be plentiful at a school, so don't bother. Anything else is presumptuous.

seventh_soul
2018-10-18, 12:05 PM
I talked with the organizer and I am now running a table. Thanks for all the great support!

Teaguethebean
2018-10-18, 10:03 PM
with that many people each person might be able to do one thing every other week I wouldn't do that