PDA

View Full Version : Weapon stats help - bo-hiya

Malapterus
2018-10-18, 09:48 AM
Behold, the bo-hiya! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo-hiya

This weapon is to feature in my new campaign. It is the most advanced weapon in the setting; there are no actual rifles or portable guns. Some gnomes have a big cannon, but that us unrelated.

On a nutshell, the bi-hiya's projectile is a primitive rocket fueled by gunpowder. It slams into its target and spills its remaining ignited powder which apparently is a pretty good sticky incindererereeary (sp)

I have it as a flintlock version
1d12 bludgeoning
Basic x20 crit
Range increment 100 ft

It operates much like a heavy crossbow. Most crossbow feats work with it, with the notable exception of Crossbow Sniper. Also, far shot does not work since the range us limited by fuel. Tgere is no reoeating version of it available to the players and the players will have to think outside the bix to obtain a single shot.

The fire damage is where I get hung up. I am thinking 3d6 on impact, then 2d6 next round, 1d6 following round, unless the target is put out.

The ammo is heavy (3 lb?) And expensive (1gp per shot?) And hard to find outside the starting location. The ammo is never reusable and each 'arrow' has to be enhanced individually - no making a bundle at once.

Still, a potential 6d6 fire damage from a non magical weapon worries me, even with all the restrictions.

Proficiency-wise; you can't just grab one and use it, but if you are proficient with a heavy crossbow and someone takes a little time to teach you, I'll let you be proficient without burning a feat. It's not a complicated weapon.

Jarmen4u
2018-10-18, 09:53 AM
This is almost a handheld siege weapon, not a normal attacking weapon, so I would suggest a skillcheck in place of an attack roll, and/or giving enemies a reflex for half damage(which could encourage boosting the damage dice a bit). It's like rocket-propelled alchemist fire. I would only include bludgeoning damage on the person hit square on, IF they fail their reflex save. All else takes fire damage though, including adjacent squares.

Palanan
2018-10-18, 11:47 AM
Wow. Where has this been all my life?

As for the stats, why did you choose to make it bludgeoning? The projectile has a heavy metal tip, so I’d think this would still qualify as piercing.

Malapterus
2018-10-18, 11:53 AM
Wow. Where has this been all my life?

As for the stats, why did you choose to make it bludgeoning? The projectile has a heavy metal tip, so I’d think this would still qualify as piercing.

Yeah but it's more of a nosecone and I don't think it goes fast enough to pierce like a bullet. Also, I think stopping short is required for it to lose its load

Palanan
2018-10-18, 12:12 PM
Maybe, but if these things are essentially rocket-propelled arrows, I'd expect they're going fast enough to do some piercing.

Do you know if anyone has built a working replica? That would be interesting to watch.

EDIT: Here's a thread (http://samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com/thread/15/bo-hiya-japanese-fire-arrows) with some good photos, including of a reenactor with a replica.

Some of these photos show arrows with blunt tips, others with definite points. Even if it's not edged like a typical metal arrowhead, that's still a metal point with a sharp-looking tip.

Jarmen4u
2018-10-18, 02:50 PM
I considered it bludgeoning as well, partially because of the blunt tip, but also because explosive/concussive force of the round detonating would also most likely fall under bludgeoning as well.

Thurbane
2018-10-18, 03:56 PM
Do you know if anyone has built a working replica? That would be interesting to watch.

I think they did on Mythbusters? Or I may be thinking of a similar weapon, but a volley style powder fueled arrow thrower...

Ah, OK, I was thinking of the hwacha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQhSXA3AKh4

Malapterus
2018-10-18, 09:15 PM
Does anyone think my given stats would make this weapon overpowered?

Palanan
2018-10-18, 10:21 PM
A little bit, yes. Whatever the damage type, 1d12 seems a little much, and I wouldn't go above 2d6 for the fire damage.

Maybe just 1d6, since according to one source, at least some of these arrows were just wrapped in flaming rags, rather than delivering an explosive charge. I'd say 1d10 direct damage, plus 1d6 fire damage, and the percentage to catch on fire would be fine.

I would also increase the range increment quite a bit. Right now it's no real advantage over a longbow, but I would think that rocket-powered arrows could do a lot better than a standard longbow.

Jarmen4u
2018-10-18, 11:05 PM
Does anyone think my given stats would make this weapon overpowered?

The stats are fine, but... did you read any of the posts giving suggestions or feedback? Like mine, for instance.

A little bit, yes. Whatever the damage type, 1d12 seems a little much, and I wouldn't go above 2d6 for the fire damage.

Maybe just 1d6, since according to one source, at least some of these arrows were just wrapped in flaming rags, rather than delivering an explosive charge. I'd say 1d10 direct damage, plus 1d6 fire damage, and the percentage to catch on fire would be fine.

I would also increase the range increment quite a bit. Right now it's no real advantage over a longbow, but I would think that rocket-powered arrows could do a lot better than a standard longbow.

Yeah I was thinking it'd serve better as a handheld siege weapon or RPG-type thing, so having big dice made sense but it worked differently from a conventional weapon.

Malapterus
2018-10-19, 01:54 PM

These ones are not wrapped in rags, they straight-up dump a load of burning powder.

The research claims they would fire "up to a thousand feet" so that's where I got the range increment.

Malapterus
2018-10-19, 01:57 PM
The stats are fine, but... did you read any of the posts giving suggestions or feedback? Like mine, for instance.

Yeah I was thinking it'd serve better as a handheld siege weapon or RPG-type thing, so having big dice made sense but it worked differently from a conventional weapon.

Read and appreciate them all. That said, I do not want this to be a splash or seige weapon. I want it to be a devastating person-to-person weapon that provides those armies who have it with a terrifying advantage over those who do not, but not to the point of a rifle.