PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Friar Duck, Drunk Monk

CaptainRedbeard
2018-10-18, 12:05 PM
So, the other day, I was a bit tipsy and said to myself, "I'm drunk as a skunk, like the drunk skunk monk, Friar Dunk! I mean Tuck ... ooooh, Friar Duck!" This sentence has been cleaned up for comprehension's sake. I then decided in my inebriated state to make a D&D character, and got as far, "Friar Duck, Drunk Monk," before getting distracted by youtube or something.

Now that I am quite sober, I still find this concept pretty funny, but have the actual wherewithal to look up what build would work for a character based on Friar Tuck. So after some research, here is some basic rundown of traits and facts about the character that easily translate into classes/abilities.

1. As a Friar, the Monk or Cleric classes is clearly the go to here. I'll go with Monk because of #2.
2. Typically, the character is portrayed as a drunk, or as a brewer, or both. So Drunken Master archetype it is.
3. He's part of Robin Hood's band of Merry Men. Robin Hood was one of the original inspirations of the Ranger class, and all of his men, including Tuck, have the same skill set, more or less. So lets multiclass into Ranger. I'd also argue that the main inspiration of the Ranger class, Aragorn from Lord of the Rings, was likely inspired in turn, at least somewhat, by Robin Hood as well. This also fits with the versions of Tuck that portray him as a hermit.
4. In the original story that the Friar shows up, the Curtal Friar, Robin Hood makes the claim Little John is the best archer and hunter, and one of his men says that no, Friar Tuck is. In the same story, Tuck at one point calls a large pack of dogs to his aid. So either a Hunter or Beastmaster archetype works here.
5. In various iterations of the character, Tuck is proficient in one or more of the following; Longsword, Broadsword (Shortsword for D&D purposes) with Buckler/Shield, Longbow, and Quarterstaff.

TL:DR, we have a Drunken Master Monk multiclassed with either a Beastmaster or Hunter Ranger proficient with a Longbow somehow. Also, because it's funny, his name is Friar Duck, and he's an Aarakocra that's too fat to fly. Or a Kenku.

Aspects of the character that don't fit this build:

1. Strength. In that first story, Robin Hood and Friar Tuck supposedly fought for 6 HOURS. This was after Tuck carried Hood across a deep stream 2.5 times. Man, these legends are more epic than I remember. Whatever the version, Tuck is portrayed as very physically strong, but this build is really too MAD to support making him particularly strong.
2. Longsword expertise. The Longsword can't be used as a monk weapon for the Martial Arts feature to work.
3. Buckler/Shield expertise. Same as above.

What do you all think? How should this character level up? What about stat breakdown and feats? What about other versions of this build that focus less on comedy of a drunk duck and use Cleric as the base class? Or incorporates his strength? This is all theorycrafting, maybe one day I'll play the character. I think it would be pretty fun.

Joe the Rat
2018-10-18, 01:07 PM
If you replace Ranger with Druid, you can summon dogs. Or you can summon honeybees to swarm your enemies as make honey for that delicious mead.

Vogie
2018-10-19, 08:19 AM
I'd start first level with a level of ranger, so he's proficient in martial weapons, and is rocking a longbow out of the gate. Presumably revised ranger. You'll grab 2 levels of that so he can cast Animal Friendship.

Then you start going up the Monk tree for 7 levels, getting you Extra Attack, Evasion and the Drunken Master Features. Pick up a third level of Ranger for Horde Breaker Hunter, and then 2 levels of War Cleric. Then, back up the Monk tree.

You'd eventually be a Ranger 3 / Monk 15 / Cleric 2. Your main weapons would be Shortsword(s) and Longbow

That is, a monk that is supernaturally adept in a brawl (with Horde Breaker, Extra attack, and Flurry), and a supernaturally good shot (War Priest, Guided strike and occasionally Horde Breaker), all the while being incredibly hard to hit (due to deflect missile, Evasion, Tipsy Sway, & Drunkard's luck).

He's not really a spellcaster, but he does have a certain amount of supernatural power, due to his ranger-ness and being a church friar. His ranger spells are Snare, Animal Friendship, & Goodberry, while his cleric spells are Ceremony, Purify Food & Drink, and Healing Word.

Unoriginal
2018-10-19, 08:30 AM
Just to say, being a Fiar is more the Acolyte background than any particular class.

CaptainRedbeard
2018-10-30, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the late reply!

I'd start first level with a level of ranger, so he's proficient in martial weapons, and is rocking a longbow out of the gate. Presumably revised ranger. You'll grab 2 levels of that so he can cast Animal Friendship.

Then you start going up the Monk tree for 7 levels, getting you Extra Attack, Evasion and the Drunken Master Features. Pick up a third level of Ranger for Horde Breaker Hunter, and then 2 levels of War Cleric. Then, back up the Monk tree.

You'd eventually be a Ranger 3 / Monk 15 / Cleric 2. Your main weapons would be Shortsword(s) and Longbow

That is, a monk that is supernaturally adept in a brawl (with Horde Breaker, Extra attack, and Flurry), and a supernaturally good shot (War Priest, Guided strike and occasionally Horde Breaker), all the while being incredibly hard to hit (due to deflect missile, Evasion, Tipsy Sway, & Drunkard's luck).

He's not really a spellcaster, but he does have a certain amount of supernatural power, due to his ranger-ness and being a church friar. His ranger spells are Snare, Animal Friendship, & Goodberry, while his cleric spells are Ceremony, Purify Food & Drink, and Healing Word.

Thanks, Vogie, for the thoughtful response! This is a fantastic roadmap, thank you. I really like the idea of grabbing a dipping Cleric. While War Cleric will definitely make him better in combat, I like the idea of taking the Nature domain instead, which is more inline with the roleplaying side of things. Plus, this let's him pick up a couple another Ranger spell, since it gives him Animal Friendship.

If you replace Ranger with Druid, you can summon dogs.

Joe, I hadn't thought of multiclassing Druid, I'll have to take a look at that.

Just to say, being a Fiar is more the Acolyte background than any particular class.

I agree. Maybe making up a Friar background would work too, swapping out a language for Brewer's Supplies.