PDA

View Full Version : Best build for a necromancer fighter.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-10-18, 12:24 PM
This is for a new character I wanted to make. Basically, its a fighter (or conquest paladin) who when he slays an enemy he raises them as an undead soldier under his command.

My first idea was to go with a shadar kai battle master or EK with a dip into necromancer wizard. But I think that maybe paladin would work in place of Fighter. I don't want a lot of spellcasting just mainly raising the dead. while being deadly in combat. My other idea was a goliath conquest paladin with a wizard dip.

I would like 6 levels of wizard so I can get the undead thralls ability then the rest would be Conquest for the fighting abilities.

I'm not sure whether this is the most efficient build though.

Bloodcloud
2018-10-18, 12:31 PM
This is for a new character I wanted to make. Basically, its a fighter (or conquest paladin) who when he slays an enemy he raises them as an undead soldier under his command.

My first idea was to go with a shadar kai battle master or EK with a dip into necromancer wizard. But I think that maybe paladin would work in place of Fighter. I don't want a lot of spellcasting just mainly raising the dead. while being deadly in combat. My other idea was a goliath conquest paladin with a wizard dip.

I would like 6 levels of wizard so I can get the undead thralls ability then the rest would be Conquest for the fighting abilities.

Oathbreaker paladin might be more in line with what you are looking for. Hexblade warlock too, gets to make specter out of slain enemies.

Or just a mountain dwarf straght necro.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-18, 12:32 PM

You should ask your DM as to whether or not Oathbreaker or Death Cleric (in the DMG) are on the table.

Oathbreaker has some solid auras that buff himself and undead, but not allies, and can raise undead himself once he hits level 9 (so no need to multiclass).

Death Cleric is a bit like the Necromancy Wizard, but it gets martial weapons, lots of burst damage, the means to twin necrotic spells, and gets Animate Dead at level 5. With the medium armor and martial weapons, it fits right in with what you're looking to do.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-18, 12:35 PM
[...] Hexblade warlock too, gets to make specter out of slain enemies.[...]

That's actually not a bad idea. It'd synergize with Inspiring Leader (for a ton of temporary hit points) and they get access to Danse Macabre and Raise Undead, but those take a long while to get.

Segev
2018-10-18, 01:37 PM
I know you're asking for a fighter, so this may be entirely out of what you want, but for the concept you listed, I would actually go Fiend Warlock with Pact of the Blade. Your Fiend is Orcus. Go for 6 levels of Wizard(Necromancer), and the rest Warlock. You want animate dead on your spell list, and the Warlock's short-rest spell recharge (with at least 3rd level slots). The Fiend's first feature gives you bonus hp. I'd have to re-read it, but I think there's synergy (or maybe it's just wasted overlap; again, check it) with the Necromancy School's first subclass feature. Pact of the Blade gives you improved Fighter-like proficiencies, and the Fiend in general bolsters melee capability. With Orcus as your patron, you're thematically in line with the "kill enemies and raise them as soldiers for your army" style, and you're making pretty strong undead while having plenty of spell slots with which to do it.