PDA

View Full Version : Magical Weapons for a Crit-Fisher

PartyChef
2018-10-18, 12:32 PM
Hello Everyone.

So I love Crit fisher builds and have previously played a number of half-orc builds that did really well (barbarian, champion, assassin, hexblade, etc. my group mostly plays one-shot dungeon crawls so its easy to test out a lot of builds). I wanted, however, to give an Champion Elf with the Elven Accuracy Feat a try. While this is the easiest build to get Crits (we use the optional flanking rules so grabbing advantage is not terribly hard, especially if I pick up the Mobile feat), I find that the damage of a crit is not terribly impressive (an extra d8 at best). Therefore, my question to you folk to try to improve this build is: Are there any magical items that increase a weapon's die damage (or any other items or tricks to increase crit damage)? (Moonblade comes to mind but Artifacts are not allowed in our game). Thanks for the help.

nickl_2000
2018-10-18, 12:41 PM
Sure, lots

Dagger of Venom, Dagger Rare, for 1 min a day save of 2d10 poison
Dragon Slayer - Rare Sword +3d6 vs dragons
Dwarven Thrower - Warhammer Very Rare - 1d8 or 2d8 extra damage
Flame Tongue - Rare Sword - +2d6 fire damage
Front Brand - Very Rare Sword + 1d6 Cold damage
Mace of Disruption - Rare Mace + 2d6 vs undead
Oathbow - very rare longbow - +3d5 vs sworn enemy
Staff of Striking - very rare staff - Expend charges for 1d6 per charge
Vorpal Sword - Legendary Slashing Sword - headed creature is de-headed

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-18, 12:43 PM
Hello Everyone.

So I love Crit fisher builds and have previously played a number of half-orc builds that did really well (barbarian, champion, assassin, hexblade, etc. my group mostly plays one-shot dungeon crawls so its easy to test out a lot of builds). I wanted, however, to give an Champion Elf with the Elven Accuracy Feat a try. While this is the easiest build to get Crits (we use the optional flanking rules so grabbing advantage is not terribly hard, especially if I pick up the Mobile feat), I find that the damage of a crit is not terribly impressive (an extra d8 at best). Therefore, my question to you folk to try to improve this build is: Are there any magical items that increase a weapon's die damage (or any other items or tricks to increase crit damage)? (Moonblade comes to mind but Artifacts are not allowed in our game). Thanks for the help.

Not entirely sure what level you are, but if you want a consistent way to get advantage on your attacks and still have the crit range, I'd really recommend Vengeance Paladin + Hexblade, which, with Elven Accuracy, gives you a 27% chance to crit each attack, with the option to Nova those attacks with Paladin smites that replenish on a short rest (due to Warlock Levels). Best part is, it doesn't require any kind of Concentration or Flanking.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/130717/what-are-my-chances-of-rolling-a-natural-19-20-critical-if-i-roll-3d20

I know it's not 100% relevant to what you're asking for, but I noticed that Paladin wasn't on your list, and I thought that this information might give some ideas. Good luck on the item hunt!

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-18, 12:44 PM
Vorpal Sword - Legendary Slashing Sword - headed creature is de-headed

It's worth noting that Vorpal only beheads things on a natural 20, not on a crit, so the extended crit range won't benefit from the Vorpal Sword. It's something that's missed a lot.

nickl_2000
2018-10-18, 12:46 PM
It's worth noting that Vorpal only beheads things on a natural 20, not on a crit, so the extended crit range won't benefit from the Vorpal Sword. It's something that's missed a lot.

True, I should have mentioned that in my listing. Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Maxilian
2018-10-18, 04:05 PM
Sure, lots

Dagger of Venom, Dagger Rare, for 1 min a day save of 2d10 poison

As its a save based damage, it doesn't get doubled by a Crit (just like most poisons damage)

Angelalex242
2018-10-18, 06:18 PM
The Nine Lives Stealer is beast on a champion with 18-20. It's like a vorpal sword that goes off 3 times as often. Make the wielder invisible with the evergreen cloak of invisibility, and you're gonna steal a LOT of lives.

nickl_2000
2018-10-18, 07:00 PM
As its a save based damage, it doesn't get doubled by a Crit (just like most poisons damage)

Really? I didn't know that

RSP
2018-10-18, 09:55 PM
Really? I didn't know that

I believe the rule is: if it has its own roll for effect (like an additional save for poison), it’s its own damage roll, seperate from the attack’s damage roll, and hence, not doubled.

PartyChef
2018-10-19, 08:29 AM
Thanks Everyone.

I had not considered the vow of enmity as a good way to get advantage. I will have to consider it.

I will have to look into the nine-lives stealer and if that doesn't work decide between flame-tongue or frost brand based on enemy.

p.s. we are currently level 6 (where I start thinking about magic weapons, but nowhere near anything legendary yet). That said, it never hurts to plan and make a wish list. Our DM likes to drop story hints of certain "hidden antiquities" which we then go on a quest to find, so he likes to know what items we might be interested in chasing after.

strangebloke
2018-10-19, 09:11 AM
I wrote a guide on the subject!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?551329-Terrible-Terrible-Damage-A-Crit-Fishing-Mini-Guide

There's three parts to a good crit fishing build:

crit range
advantage (And re-rerolls in general)
bonus damage dice

The first one is pretty self-expanatory. Hexblade or Champion. The second is also pretty self-explanatory. The third one, well....

There are tons of weapons that deal extra damage. Just remember that if it's based off of a seperate roll (like a save versus poison) or happens after the initial attack (like booming blade's secondary effect) it doesn't count. Flametongue is generally considered to be the most efficient option amongst magic items, as far as cost-to-power is considered.