PDA

View Full Version : Help me optimize a winged tiefling fiendlock for ToA

KingWhipsy
2018-10-18, 04:54 PM
As the title states, I'm going to be playing a winged tiefling in an upcoming ToA campaign and would like some help with a build. I know this is a tough module and plan on minmaxing as much as possible.

We are starting at level 1 and using point buy for stats. I've never used point buy before but was thinking the best starting array for me would be 8 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 11 INT, 12 WIS, 16 CHA. Thoughts on this? Bummed that I cant get dex or con to 16 at level 1.

As for cantrips and spells I'm open to suggestions. Obviously hex and eldritch blast will be 1 of each. Not too sure what to go after that. Also looking for ideas on the best pact between chain and tome. Our party has a tempest cleric and pally if that sways the decision. What invocations do I go? Agonizing blast is obvious. Other than that I'm not sure though.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Eragon123
2018-10-18, 04:59 PM
Which pact boon are you looking for?
Also I'd raise the strength to 9 while lowering the intelligence to 9 as well. with the tiefling, your intelligence would still be 10 and there is no difference between an 11 and a 10 in intelligence. However, some of the rules like carrying capacity (also jumping BUT i don't think that's as big of a deal for you for some reason) rely on strength score rather than modifier so it makes sense to let it be an odd number.

KingWhipsy
2018-10-18, 05:15 PM
Either chain or tome. That was one of my big questions. With 2 other casters in the party I'm not sure how important tome would be and I like the flavor of chain. Just not sure which is stronger.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-18, 05:32 PM
The Imp familiar is very strong as an option, as it can turn invisible to scout and search for traps, it can fly, and it can use the Help action to grant you Advantage on your attacks.

Some strong min-max options would include getting the knockback invocation for your Eldritch Blast (As long as the enemy isn't directly beneath you, you should be able to push them back even while flying), and getting the Devil's Sight invocation for when you get Darkness at level 3. The combination of the two means you get Advantage to hit enemies blinded by the Darkness and they have disadvantage to attack you or your allies.

You'd use it to separate enemies so that your team can mop up the melee crew while their ranged units fight blind. Considering most melee units can't deal with flyers, they won't have too many ways of breaking your concentration without their ranged units running into melee range to get out of the Darkness. On top of that, you can cast Darkness on something your Imp can carry, and he can see through Darkness himself, so that it's now Darkness that you can move and maneuver. Overall, it's a strong combo that your DM will have a hard time dealing with.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-18, 05:42 PM
Either chain or tome. That was one of my big questions. With 2 other casters in the party I'm not sure how important tome would be and I like the flavor of chain. Just not sure which is stronger.

With 2 other casters, go chain, an imp is amazing. An invisible telepathic scout that you can really get some great utility out of by giving it an important item and then dismissing it.
Play a winged tiefling.

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 16

At 2 take agonizing blast and repelling blast.

Make a flying artillery character, save spells for utility.
With your other 2 casters your spells will be lackluster, essentially go controlling blaster.

Kane0
2018-10-18, 05:50 PM
Go full classic warlock. Winged tiefling fiend and chain with imp familiar, grab agonizing and repelling blast plus perhaps lance of lethargy for extra stopping power if you like. You chould potentially be cheesy and grab Grasp of Hadar to pull people into the air only to fall again, but that won't be entirely reliable as a gimmick.

For survivability you have Gift of the Ever-living ones which maxes your healing and Fiendish Vigor is a constant source of a small amount of THP, though it doesn't stack with your Fiend ability. Remember you can swap out invocations at later levels if they aren't useful to you anymore.

For spells, Armor of Agathys and Arms of Hadar are solid options but Hex will be your bread and butter. Later on the Darkness + Devil's sight combo is strong but if you're flying most of the time it may be a bit too conspicuous.

Also, make sure one of the other casters has Feather Fall ready just in case, if you're on the wing often you don't want to suffer an early end from a Hold Person or something.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-18, 06:02 PM
[...]

[...]

[...]

Seems like everyone's on the same page. I'm still a big fan of Darkness + Devil's Sight, though.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-19, 06:55 AM
Seems like everyone's on the same page. I'm still a big fan of Darkness + Devil's Sight, though.

It is a great combo to have in your back pocket but not as a primary tactic.

Putting the enemies in darkness tends to annoy your other teammates that can’t see either.

I will say though that if I was playing a race without dark vision at all, I would take it at 2 over repelling blast.