PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Theoretical Multiclassing: What would you do?

Tiadoppler
2018-10-18, 06:39 PM
What multiclass would you use under the following scenario:

You're in a campaign that you know will reach level 25-30 (in D&D 5e), and place the heroes firmly into the territory of plane-hopping demigods.
You may take no more than 20 levels in any one class.
The DM is not offering boons for progression after level 20, but instead will continue allowing characters to level up. For example, a level 20 Wizard would have to pick a multiclass when he levels up.
Proficiency is capped at +6, even when player level reaches 30.

What are some interesting multiclass combos that wouldn't work in a standard level 20 game?

MaxWilson
2018-10-18, 06:47 PM
What are some interesting multiclass combos that wouldn't work in a standard level 20 game?

Moon Druid/Warlock comes to mind. The Moon Druid capstone is so good that I wouldn't normally even consider multiclassing out of it, even for the sake of alleviating my greatest weaknesses (bad ranged attacks, bad non-concentration spells).

In fact, Moon Druid 20/Warlock 2/Barbearian 3 would probably be the first character I'd play in such a campaign. Choosing the order of levelling would be a little bit of a dilemma (probably Barbarian 1 then Moon Druid 2 then Warlock 2 then Moon Druid 3-20 then Barbarian 2-3) but overall it sounds like great fun.

My other top picks would be Long Death Monk 20/Rogue 2/Chainlock 3 (it's controversial but I love the monk capstone), Eldritch Knight 20/Swashbuckler 5, Divine Soul 4/Warlock 2/Illusionist 19, and maybe something like Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Warlock 2/Valor Bard 20.