PDA

View Full Version : Are there rules for adding only +hit to magical weapons? (3.5)

gomipile
2018-10-19, 07:17 AM
I'm imagining a scenario where a weapon with +5 to hit would be appropriate, but it would be thematically inappropriate to also have a full +5 to damage. Are there rules that would allow just +4 hit to be added to a +1 magical weapon without homebrew?

If I have to homebrew, so be it, but I'd prefer to avoid that route.

Deophaun
2018-10-19, 08:11 AM
There are the Martial Discipline weapons in ToB that basically do that, provided that you know a maneuver/stance from the appropriate discipline (with a greater bonus if you are actually using the maneuver/stance).

Silly Name
2018-10-19, 08:19 AM
The Arms & Equipment Guide splatbook has a sidebar on page 128 for crafting items that grant feats. Theoretically, you could make a +1 Longsword that grants Weapon Focus (Longsword), and other feats that give you a bonus to attack rolls with that type of weapon.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-19, 09:23 AM
There are the Martial Discipline weapons in ToB that basically do that, provided that you know a maneuver/stance from the appropriate discipline (with a greater bonus if you are actually using the maneuver/stance).
I think this is the best way to get what you want.

A +1 White Raven greatsword costs 8000 gp (plus the greatsword) and providides +4 to-hit and +1 damage when you are in a White Raven stance. You can stack different disciplines, so using a +1 White Raven Devoted Spirit greatsword (18 000 gp) can get you +7 to-hit and +1 damage when you are in a White Raven stance and using a Devoted Spirit strike (or vice versa).

HouseRules
2018-10-19, 09:28 AM
Masterwork Items gets +1 to hit.

To have more +hit only, House Rule so that more levels of Masterwork applies.

Masterwork x2 for example.

Morof Stonehands
2018-10-19, 10:12 PM
The Master class from Dragonlance has the ability to make items with enhanced properties, one being weapons that go up to +5 to hit, but no damage boost.

AnonymousPepper
2018-10-19, 11:21 PM
The Master class from Dragonlance has the ability to make items with enhanced properties, one being weapons that go up to +5 to hit, but no damage boost.

Came in to say this. Fully possible to have some uber-masterwork gear from a Master, the catch being that, like all other high-level NPCs, actually finding one able to make you a MW+5 sword is... not likely to be easy.