PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Swashbuckler Discussion

carrdrivesyou
2018-10-19, 07:29 AM
So in my upcoming game, I have elected to play the Swashbuckler. Straight levels, no dips or multiclassing. I'm always relegated to party mage or cleric in every game, and this time I am determined to play something else. Mr. Mundane.

So here's what I have: no idea who is playing what (DM likes us to play our own characters, without regards to party building), and I rolled: 10, 18, 14, 12, 7, 16. I was thinking about just using those scores down the list.

So what do you Playgrounders think I should do? I am thinking human or Halfling, but half-orc also looks interesting. Thoughts?

Geddy2112
2018-10-19, 12:43 PM
It depends on what you want to use as a weapon. If you are going rapier, inspired blade is basically a straight upgrade archetype. Dawnflower dervish lets you use any weapon that swashbuckler finesse qualifies for to get dex to damage at level 4, opening up interesting options besides slashing/fencing grace, and gives dervish dance. A 18-20 crit range weapon is generally your best bet as scoring critical hits refills panache.

For feats, slashing/fencing grace is a required feat, as is combat reflexes. After that is is fairly open-eldritch heritage to nab a familiar is never a bad call, as is improved initiative. Weapon focus/specialization are also nice. You will eventually want keen or improved critical.

If you go halfling, consider looking at the mouser archetype. Not as mechanically good due to loss of parry/riposte, but it is a lot of fun and not bad.

Your primary stats are dexterity and charisma. You can dump strength, but if you go halfling 5 strength might encumber you for the early levels. You need a decent con and will is a weak save so a decent wis score is a good idea as well. If you take the irrepressible trait it will shore up your saves vs enchantments by keying them off cha instead of wis. Will saves are a fair bit less scary since you can use charmed life to add your CHA to saves. Int is a dump stat unless you go for an inspired blade build.

Parry/riposte is your bread and butter deed, mechanically superior to dodge in every way. Once you hit 3rd level keep a panache point to unlock all of the static deeds-menacing swordplay and being cha based makes swashbucklers great intimidate builds, and helps to debuff your enemies in combat.