PDA

View Full Version : Spells that make you unkillable?

RoboEmperor
2018-10-19, 12:58 PM
----------

noob
2018-10-19, 01:56 PM
I believe there is somewhere an outsider that can always planeshift(except in antimagic zones but there is a way to bypass that restriction).
So you could get one with you or find a way to get its power.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-19, 02:23 PM
Craft Contingent Spell is an item creation feat so you could use that.

Jack_Simth
2018-10-19, 06:45 PM
Hide Life, from Tome and Blood (3.0) will do you well.

gogogome
2018-10-19, 10:51 PM
If you're talking about escape options, Teleport, Plane Shift, or some kind of Ethereal one like Greater Blink and Ethereal Jaunt to walk through walls, and Expeditious Retreat or Haste. Also Fly or Overland Flight.

Other than that I think that's it. I mean that's all the methods in d&d. You either teleport, run, or fly, and walk through walls.
You can create a Schema of Contingency and Teleport to happen with your Animated Object gets destroyed.

You're powerless against AMF and Dead Magic zones though.

Hide life does seem excessive to what you are doing but it's a nice layer of protection.

Kayblis
2018-10-19, 11:56 PM
If you want a place to flee to, get Genesis somehow and create your own demiplane! As you're already dealing with 9th-level spells, it's not unthinkable - and you could get a scroll for a one-time demiplane creation(it'll grow up to 180 feet radius, at which point you can keep it growing with subsequent casts). As you define most properties of your demiplane, it can easily be a death trap to anyone without some very unusual immunity you have, so you can use it offensively.

Helluin
2018-10-20, 01:56 AM
To be honest, unless you have much higher WBL than 20 lvl character, there is just too many ways a lvl 20 character can kill you than you can prepare countermeasure for.

A phase arrow can still hit you, so maybe get Delay Death.

People can still teleport into your armor, especially if you deal with creatures with at will greater teleport. So use anticipate teleportation.

You should also plan for the events that people destroy your armor in ways that makes it unrecoverable, such as plane shifting it, PAO it, or disintegrating it.

An incorporeal creature can still get to you, so have some sort of force effect like telekinetic sphere ready, but this would also inconvenience you.

Does it have to be a schema btw? Because you can’t apply metamagic to spell completion items yet, but you can apply persistent spell metamagic to a scepter or a wand.

Ramza00
2018-10-20, 02:37 AM
Cast your elemental monolith and then go ethereal? (That druid ethereal stag 5th level spell, or swift etherealness). Some things can affect ethereal creatures but most things can't. Wouldn't your spell still work if you concentrate even if you are on the ethereal plane and not the material plane?

noob
2018-10-20, 03:21 AM
Lots of outsiders have Plane Shift, but I need to use it as an escape. Also which plane am I supposed to shift to when escaping? Ethereal? Celestial? Astral?

Not permanent, and I don't want to escalate to that yet XD

well by always able to plane shift I meant that it can planeshift even when under the effect of dimension lock or of other spells or effects of similar nature that prevents dimensional travel.

Bag of holding warforged component
The rules are quite clear that when a bag of holding is in an antimagic zone it becomes an empty mundane bag since the dimensional connection is cut away by the antimagic so antimagic zones are not a problem in fact it is even a good way to get rid of the vulnerability of having to wear a warforged component: put the bag of holding in an antimagic zone then burn it then its contents are somewhere that can not be acceded.

Helluin
2018-10-20, 05:56 AM
Good stuff. Teleport is not a problem, the armor is not a mobile base, it is thick with the only empty space inside is just barely enough to fit my PC in there so no room for anything to teleport inside.

Sorry, had to truncated your quote for ease of editing on my phone.

Teleport IS a problem at lvl 20, because Shapechange is a thing and I did see spellcasters turning into diminutive death bugs and teleport into otherwise inaccessible room/spaces...

Phase arrow is an Arcane Archer class feature. There is a similar magic item in PF, not sure if there is an equivalent in 3.5

Oh I’m not concerned about you losing your expensive armor... it’s just that losing it makes you temporarily vulnerable, mostly because without a line of effect block you can be one disjunction+quickened anything away from being pulverized... (or even without the disjunction if your DM knows what they are doing and really intends to kill your character).

By permanent item, do you mean the item has to has infinite charge as stated in the rules or is it good enough that they have effectively infinite charges?

For example, an eternal wand is “permanent”, albeit limited; is a scepter/wand with effectively infinite charges “permanent” enough for your purpose? I’m not familiar with the infusion you were talking about, but you can certainly use a schema of unfettered heroism and get X charges of any wands you have per day... if you find a way to persist Unfettered Heroism, that’s at will wand usage all day long for you - it’s explicitly doable demonstrated by a playground post but I think I’ll skip the cheese because you preferred minimalism :)