PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with equipment

Hunterx
2018-10-19, 04:41 PM
I have settled on my new char and it is a spin on an old favorite class.
Human Hexblade 7/ Dervish 3 (end game Hexblade 8 Dervish 10 X 2)
But I have almost everything in place and most of the equipment just some fine toning to end of fun with

I have +1 boom burst scimitar mithralmist chain shirt ring of protection sandles of light stepping bracers of blinding strike

This leaves me with about 13600 gold after everything.

Feats are: combat expertise, dodge, mobility, weapon focus scimitar, Lv1 with flaws and human,
Lv3 ability focus curse
Lv6 power attack......could switch if other ideas come up.
Lv9 improved critical scimitar.

I would like something make curse harder to save against

Thanks for any help.

Lotheb
2018-10-19, 05:05 PM
Your hexblade's curse isn't going to be very hard to resist since it only scales with hexblade level, but if you really want to pump the DC a cloak of charisma would do that and also increase your Arcane Resistance. What are you trying to do here? What do you want this character to be good at? Definetly don't take power attack, the dervish ability slashing blades means you won't be able to use it with your scimitar since you treat it as a light weapon for all purposes

Hunterx
2018-10-19, 05:29 PM
Your hexblade's curse isn't going to be very hard to resist since it only scales with hexblade level, but if you really want to pump the DC a cloak of charisma would do that and also increase your Arcane Resistance. What are you trying to do here? What do you want this character to be good at? Definetly don't take power attack, the dervish ability slashing blades means you won't be able to use it with your scimitar since you treat it as a light weapon for all purposes

Not sure if that works that way, you treat them as light weapons but they are still one handed weapons. Hexblade curse is 10 +1/2+Cha +ability focus that right now is 20.
10 +3+5+2.

She is going to be a debuffer. The sword burst has no save so if I hit critical it is a -2 to AC saves and skills for 5 rounds, shadow companion -2 to AC saves curse -4 to Attacks, saves,weapon damage ability checks and skill checks.

So that is -4 AC, -4 attack,-4 skill, -8 saves,-4 ability checks,-4 weapon damage. Half of this has no save and half DC 20 need that 20 higher.

PunBlake
2018-10-19, 05:40 PM
Replace Power Attack with Elusive Target (CWarr); Negate Power Attack is great, as is Cause Overreach combined with Dervish Dance.

With some of your remaining WBL, add Wand Chambers to your two scimitars and buy two appropriate wands; don't overlook some of the higher-level Hexblade spells (which you can activate without a UMD check because they are on your class spell list). Protection From <Alignment>, Greater Invisibility, Glitterdust, and Polymorph (maybe; CL limits the possibilities) are just a few ideas for wands.

DragonMag #339 has more options for Hexblade's Curse feats, but those aren't that good; look at the weapon enhancement at the end instead.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-19, 07:16 PM
OK. Swap out your familiar for the Dark Companion ACF, that will get you a mobile mini-curse that you can use to soften up a target before hexing them, or hitting them with some other debuff.

Master of Poisons feat would let you spread around a good deal of pain rather easily, though poisons are pricey and will start to lose their effectiveness as the game progresses.

Curse spewing is probably a pretty good weapon special ability for you. The MiC version is rather expensive at +3 (I think) but it hits with no save, automatically on a crit. The BoVD version is much more affordable at a +1, hits with every swing, but has a rather low save DC (and I think it has a weaker ability...I don't remember offhand)

If you could swing 3 levels for either paladin of tyranny or Blackguard, you can snag Aura of Despair (Plus some other useful goodies) Barring that, you can pick up the Binder feats from ToM to get Aura of Sadness, which is functionally similar. Can be gotten with 2 of the 3 binder feats.

Hunterx
2018-10-19, 08:03 PM
OK. Swap out your familiar for the Dark Companion ACF, that will get you a mobile mini-curse that you can use to soften up a target before hexing them, or hitting them with some other debuff.

Master of Poisons feat would let you spread around a good deal of pain rather easily, though poisons are pricey and will start to lose their effectiveness as the game progresses.

Curse spewing is probably a pretty good weapon special ability for you. The MiC version is rather expensive at +3 (I think) but it hits with no save, automatically on a crit. The BoVD version is much more affordable at a +1, hits with every swing, but has a rather low save DC (and I think it has a weaker ability...I don't remember offhand)

If you could swing 3 levels for either paladin of tyranny or Blackguard, you can snag Aura of Despair (Plus some other useful goodies) Barring that, you can pick up the Binder feats from ToM to get Aura of Sadness, which is functionally similar. Can be gotten with 2 of the 3 binder feats.

Did not find curse spewing in the MIC.....what page? TOM is not allowed DM is set in his ways and getting other books aside from the ones he knows is well quit frankly herding cats would be easier. Plus if it is in there that is a +4 weapon which takes most of my gold. Leaving me with not much for other stuff. The next question is would it stack with my curse ?

Lotheb
2018-10-19, 09:50 PM
Not sure if that works that way, you treat them as light weapons but they are still one handed weapons.

It says "A dervish treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons." It doeant say whenever advantageous, or you may treat it as a light weapon when you feel like it, so no treating it as one-handed for power attack.

Hexblade curse is 10 +1/2+Cha +ability focus that right now is 20.
10 +3+5+2.

She is going to be a debuffer. The sword burst has no save so if I hit critical it is a -2 to AC saves and skills for 5 rounds, shadow companion -2 to AC saves curse -4 to Attacks, saves,weapon damage ability checks and skill checks.

If you want to be a debuffer why 10 levels of Dervish? Dervish dance will make it easier to spread boom burst or sword burst (where is this enchantement from anyway?) To multiple foes, but even with improved crit its only a 30% chance per swing if you always confirm your crits. Other than that its 8 levels of mobility and damage till thousand cuts lets you make a bunch of extra attacks 1/day when you could be advancing hexblade stuff, or dipping into other classes for other debuff options.

Maybe get imperious command instead of power attack if its in an allowed source. You're already charisma heavy and intimidate has some good debuff power

Hunterx
2018-10-19, 10:47 PM
It says "A dervish treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons." It doeant say whenever advantageous, or you may treat it as a light weapon when you feel like it, so no treating it as one-handed for power attack.

If you want to be a debuffer why 10 levels of Dervish? Dervish dance will make it easier to spread boom burst or sword burst (where is this enchantement from anyway?) To multiple foes, but even with improved crit its only a 30% chance per swing if you always confirm your crits. Other than that its 8 levels of mobility and damage till thousand cuts lets you make a bunch of extra attacks 1/day when you could be advancing hexblade stuff, or dipping into other classes for other debuff options.

Maybe get imperious command instead of power attack if its in an allowed source. You're already charisma heavy and intimidate has some good debuff power

It does say that you are right but there is a simple fix for that use a large one :). Doom burst is in MIC and in miniature. 10 dervish or exactly that lots of cuts.

Hunterx
2018-10-19, 11:07 PM

You are right intimidate does have some great debuffing stuf, but when your DM does not use diplomacy, intimidate, and bluff the way the rules have them written then it is pure uselessness.
Our DM has all those skills as a challenged vs the intended victim so it is intimidate vs X bluff vs sense motive diplomacy vs diplomacy. This makes social build useless, makes handle animals builds useless and makes anything fun where you can never a fight without wining a weapon and making all the enemies your little bitches useless. I'm the only true optimizer in the party and I do not even go over the top. Since I could make a social char that has maxed out bluff, intimidate, diplomacy and wild empathy at level 10 or so all in the high 20-30s magical beasts not a problem your now my friend animals your my pet, dragons, run boy or I'll kick your ass and don't stop till your on the other side of the world. ( bluff). But I can't do it because it would be fun for me and a little work for him to look the stuff up and he is in a single word LAZY.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-19, 11:17 PM
Did not find curse spewing in the MIC.....what page? TOM is not allowed DM is set in his ways and getting other books aside from the ones he knows is well quit frankly herding cats would be easier. Plus if it is in there that is a +4 weapon which takes most of my gold. Leaving me with not much for other stuff. The next question is would it stack with my curse ?

Cursespewing is the very last entry on Page 31. The text spills over to p. 32. It's a -4 untyped penalty to pretty much everything except damage. As such, it will stack with anything except itself. it will stack effectively with both Hexblade curse and the penalty from Dark Companion, where applicable. On a scimitar, it will trigger pretty regularly.