PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused about movement speeds

tchntm43
2018-10-19, 04:59 PM
In the PHB, characters generally have a base movement rate of 30 ft (smaller characters are 25, Wood Elves are 35). I understand this movement rate is mostly applied to combat situations. The PHB also has a section on movement where they list Fast speed being 30 miles per day, Normal speed being 24 miles per day, and slow speed being 18 miles per day. It says this is over a normal 8 hours of travel. But it doesn't say how this applies to actually having different movement rates. It's hard to believe that a dwarf would travel the same number of miles in 8 hours as a sprightly Wood Elf.

If I multiply the movement rate by 10 (how many feet per minute), then by 60 (how many feet per hour), and then by 8, I'd have the following results:
Move 25: 22.7 miles
Move 30: 27.3 miles
Move 35: 31.8 miles

The result for movement rate of 25 is closer to the "Normal pace" listing than the more common movement rate of 30 is. I'm not really sure what to make of this. I'm sure they were trying to simplify things in the movement section so you wouldn't have to do all the multiplying as I did, but it seems off by a bit.

Also not really sure how to handle having a horse. The PHB says that a mounted animal can move much faster, for 1 hour. But a horse doesn't have to gallop to be faster than a person. A horse's normal walking speed is already significantly faster than a person walks, even with a person on its back.

I guess I am a little confused, but also not happy with what I'm drawing as a tentative conclusion (that it's 24 miles per day regardless of whether the party has a dwarf slowing them down or not, and that having a horse doesn't improve things unless the horse gallops).

Unoriginal
2018-10-19, 05:08 PM
But it doesn't say how this applies to actually having different movement rates.

Because it doesn't apply.

It's hard to believe that a dwarf would travel the same number of miles in 8 hours as a sprightly Wood Elf.

It's really not. For example: Dwarves are less speedy, but need less pauses and the like, Wood Elves are more energetic but are less disciplined and burns out quicker.

If I multiply the movement rate by 10 (how many feet per minute)

Taking a combat abstraction too literally is not helpful.

Also not really sure how to handle having a horse. The PHB says that a mounted animal can move much faster, for 1 hour. But a horse doesn't have to gallop to be faster than a person. A horse's normal walking speed is already significantly faster than a person walks, even with a person on its back.

I guess I am a little confused, but also not happy with what I'm drawing as a tentative conclusion (that it's 24 miles per day regardless of whether the party has a dwarf slowing them down or not, and that having a horse doesn't improve things unless the horse gallops).

Horses are fast, but you can't ride them anywhere. It's significantly easier to take shortcuts and the like on foot.

Lunali
2018-10-19, 05:31 PM
In the PHB, characters generally have a base movement rate of 30 ft (smaller characters are 25, Wood Elves are 35). I understand this movement rate is mostly applied to combat situations. The PHB also has a section on movement where they list Fast speed being 30 miles per day, Normal speed being 24 miles per day, and slow speed being 18 miles per day. It says this is over a normal 8 hours of travel. But it doesn't say how this applies to actually having different movement rates. It's hard to believe that a dwarf would travel the same number of miles in 8 hours as a sprightly Wood Elf.

The reason it doesn't say how it applies to different movement rates is that it doesn't. Fast speed is about pushing yourselves to move faster than normal and slow speed is being cautious of your surroundings.

If you want to complicate things further with variations based on movement speeds, you can, but it doesn't really add anything to most games and usually just makes for more bookkeeping.

Ganymede
2018-10-19, 06:29 PM

There are a couple things here.

For one, your character's base speed (whether a human, a halfling, or a wood elf) does not impact your overland travel pace. Even riding a horse does not change your overland travel pace, though it does introduce the option to move at a gallop.

Secondly, the unusual numbers you see in the chart are due to some unusual rounding. It looks like every value in the chart is rounded to the nearest whole number, but they continued to use the decimal value for finding the other entries before rounding again. On the other hand, it also looks like they are increasing and decreasing the normal pace by 1/4 instead of 1/3. (Edit: ok, based on page 242 of the DMG, it looks like the rounded the daily travel distance to the nearest six-mile increment, because kingdom scaled maps use six-mile hexes.)

terodil
2018-10-19, 06:39 PM
Apologies if this is only slightly related, but the rounding issue Ganymede mentioned brought up another question I had in this context: For those of you living in countries with the metric system, how do you handle distances, speeds etc? Example: The base movement speed of 30ft is translated as 9m in the official material, which is obviously not ideal for a base 10 system. How do you handle this? I'm tempted to just use a very big thumb and call that 10m, but that leads to distortions, of course, and I'm not sure what, if any, impact that would have on gaming.

Unoriginal
2018-10-19, 06:43 PM
Apologies if this is only slightly related, but the rounding issue Ganymede mentioned brought up another question I had in this context: For those of you living in countries with the metric system, how do you handle distances, speeds etc? Example: The base movement speed of 30ft is translated as 9m in the official material, which is obviously not ideal for a base 10 system. How do you handle this? I'm tempted to just use a very big thumb and call that 10m, but that leads to distortions, of course, and I'm not sure what, if any, impact that would have on gaming.

Don't use a base 10 system. Someone's usual movement speed is 9m, a square is 1.5 m, etc.

Naanomi
2018-10-19, 06:57 PM
I do change overland travel times for changes in sleep requirements... Elves get four hours more travel time than other races each day... Warforged get eight more... that is bound to make a difference

Lunali
2018-10-19, 07:14 PM
I do change overland travel times for changes in sleep requirements... Elves get four hours more travel time than other races each day... Warforged get eight more... that is bound to make a difference

Traveling is tiring work, which is why there are con saves to be made if you travel for longer than 8 hours a day. These should still be in place even if you have more time available.

Also, elves only get 2 hours more than other races as only 6 of the 8 hours for a long rest are needed for sleep.

Ganymede
2018-10-19, 08:12 PM
Also, elves only get 2 hours more than other races as only 6 of the 8 hours for a long rest are needed for sleep.

Watch out, this was updated relatively recently; there is errata on point that made it so elves get their long rest in 4 hours.

Laserlight
2018-10-19, 08:42 PM
IIRC, the standard cavalry travel rate was 30 miles per day, infantry 20 miles. That's for formed units on roads; but remember that infantry, particularly light infantry, can go up and down much steeper slopes than horse, therefore can take a more direct route.

And the main lesson: trying to make D&D consistent is an exercise in futility.

JackPhoenix
2018-10-19, 08:43 PM

Use the stupid measurements. It's unfortunate, but it's easier than re-calculating everything and you'll avoid any issues. And hope US decide to join the civilized world one day.

Arathryth
2018-10-19, 08:54 PM
Use the stupid measurements. It's unfortunate, but it's easier than re-calculating everything and you'll avoid any issues. And hope US decide to join the civilized world one day.

There are 2 types of countries in the world:

1. Those that use the metric system.

2. Those that landed on the Moon.

JackPhoenix
2018-10-19, 08:58 PM
There are 2 types of countries in the world:

1. Those that use the metric system.

2. Those that landed on the Moon.

Don't you mean "those that landed on the Moon using metric system, despite everyone else in the country using backward measurements"?

Ganymede
2018-10-19, 09:08 PM
Don't you mean "those that landed on the Moon using metric system, despite everyone else in the country using backward measurements"?

It is more in the middle of those two positions. NASA used both metric and Imperial measurements during that time, with metric generally used for scientific purposes and Imperial generally used for engineering purposes.

This is kind of a digression, tho.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-10-19, 09:15 PM
For one, your character's base speed (whether a human, a halfling, or a wood elf) does not impact your overland travel pace. Even riding a horse does not change your overland travel pace, though it does introduce the option to move at a gallop.

Well, you're correct, but the OP's question is why that's the case and whether it should be.

Lunali
2018-10-19, 09:24 PM
Watch out, this was updated relatively recently; there is errata on point that made it so elves get their long rest in 4 hours.

If elves can finish their long rest in 4 hours, other races should be able to finish it in 6, since that's all they needed to sleep as part of theirs.

Ganymede
2018-10-19, 09:45 PM
If elves can finish their long rest in 4 hours, other races should be able to finish it in 6, since that's all they needed to sleep as part of theirs.

That's not what the rules say, tho.

“A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.”

It is also important to remember that an elf's trance is NOT sleep, and this special rule is an exception to how long rests ordinarily work.

Arathryth
2018-10-19, 10:11 PM

Relax, that was meant as a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment, but I can't do blue text posting from mobile. Besides, in the military we use metric for nearly everything anyway.

On a more related note, the overland travel speeds are mostly garbage anyway. Covering 30 miles over the course of 8 hours is ridiculous, when you realize that you would have to be practically jogging, while wearing armor, carrying supplies, etc. And the notion that you could maintain that rate of travel on each subsequent day is even crazier. Can you imagine a dude in full plate and carrying another 50lbs of gear and supplies running a marathon every day for a week? I generally use 10 miles at regular pace, 15 miles for fast pace or mounted, CON saves after 3 days in a row at fast pace.

Kadesh
2018-10-20, 03:30 AM
That's not what the rules say, tho.

“A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.”

It is also important to remember that an elf's trance is NOT sleep, and this special rule is an exception to how long rests ordinarily work.

Source please.

Naanomi
2018-10-20, 07:13 AM
Source please.
https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf

Millstone85
2018-10-20, 07:26 AM
https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdfhttp://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf

Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours? If an elf meditates during a long rest (as described in the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules for a long rest; only the duration is changed. [This answer has been altered as a result of a tweak to the rules for a long rest, which appears in newer printings of the Player’s Handbook.]

Ganymede
2018-10-20, 08:19 AM
Source please.

This is in the PHB, but you'll need the errata if you have an older edition of the book.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

JackPhoenix
2018-10-21, 05:56 AM
This is in the PHB, but you'll need the errata if you have an older edition of the book.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

Conspicuously missing: Anything about elves requiring less time than everyone else to get a long rest.

Theodoric
2018-10-21, 06:46 AM
I just have an English PHB (I don't think there's a Dutch one, not that I'd buy one anyway) and don't translate unless I need to. Most people in my groups understand the imperial system well enough for game purposes, and I switch to metric only if I really need to bring across how big a Giant or a cavern is, for example (and character sizes and other things without any mechanical effect).

If I had to, I'd stick to multiples of 1.5 meters, since the base game always uses 5-foot increments anyway.

Ganymede
2018-10-21, 07:03 AM
Conspicuously missing: Anything about elves requiring less time than everyone else to get a long rest.

That is in the Sage Advice Compendium. Millstone85 linked to it above.

"Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours?
If an elf meditates during a long rest (as described in the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules for a long rest; only the duration is changed."

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-10-21, 07:27 AM

Where do I find it?

Ganymede
2018-10-21, 10:16 AM
Where do I find it?

Check out my post above.

JackPhoenix
2018-10-21, 01:40 PM
That is in the Sage Advice Compendium. Millstone85 linked to it above.

"Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours?
If an elf meditates during a long rest (as described in the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules for a long rest; only the duration is changed."

SA is not official rules errata. SA compendium is just that: SA answers compiled into a single document.

hymer
2018-10-21, 02:29 PM
SA is not official rules errata. SA compendium is just that: SA answers compiled into a single document.
SA is clarification about intent. The RAW can already be interpreted as RAI, it was just a question of whether it should be: The text on Trance says that elves gain the same benefit from four hours of meditation that a human does from eight hours of sleep.

ThePolarBear
2018-10-21, 06:34 PM
It is more in the middle of those two positions. NASA used both metric and Imperial measurements during that time, with metric generally used for scientific purposes and Imperial generally used for engineering purposes.

This is kind of a digression, tho.

Let's not point out that the Imperial system units of measure are and were defined on the metric system units...

The Errata was never released. However, the new errata document, i think should include that change too, is coming next month or so (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1047224307607191552), apparently.

superstrijder15
2018-10-22, 09:40 AM

We use imperial, the unit system of fantasy countries and the US, for our game. Sometimes it might seem slightly unintuitive, but it does make suspension of disbelief easier for me. For example, a mile is simply 1/24 of the distance a human walks in a day. Also, there are only a few units used a lot in the game so it isn't too hard to use them.

Maelynn
2018-10-22, 04:19 PM

It's a fantasy game. You just go with what's established, no matter how illogical it is. I don't convert the silver and gold pieces to euro equivalents, either.

tchntm43
2018-10-24, 01:49 PM
IIRC, the standard cavalry travel rate was 30 miles per day, infantry 20 miles. That's for formed units on roads; but remember that infantry, particularly light infantry, can go up and down much steeper slopes than horse, therefore can take a more direct route.

And the main lesson: trying to make D&D consistent is an exercise in futility.

I should have mentioned in the OP that this is for travel between towns on well-traveled roads in flat areas. Anyway, the whole reason I wanted to get to the bottom of this is that it seems like there would be little reason to buy horses if they aren't faster. I can't really see that there would be a problem adding a rule that horses, when traveling on roads in relatively flat areas, cut travel time by 25%. So if it would take 4 days, it takes 3 days instead.

superstrijder15
2019-06-30, 04:41 PM
I should have mentioned in the OP that this is for travel between towns on well-traveled roads in flat areas. Anyway, the whole reason I wanted to get to the bottom of this is that it seems like there would be little reason to buy horses if they aren't faster. I can't really see that there would be a problem adding a rule that horses, when traveling on roads in relatively flat areas, cut travel time by 25%. So if it would take 4 days, it takes 3 days instead.

I just came across this again and noticed you hadn't gotten an answer for this case. Horses can be quicker than walking humans yes, but they tire more easily. This is why the 'strategic pace' of horses, as I call it, is not a lot larger, even thought the 'tactical pace' is. This is also the reason why all surface races have the same overland speed.
However, it you are travelling over a good road in a hurry, there might be horse-switching services available: Places where you can switch your current horse for a different, rested and fed, one. This could greatly increse travel speed. For example, this is how the pony express operated, with stations every 10 miles or so, with horses switched at each station and riders switched every 75 to 100 miles, after a 10 hour shift. This does give the expected tripling of speed, however it is quite expensive for a kingdom to maintain all the switching stations and extra riders.

Now as for there not being a reason to have an animal: Encumbrance rules. Pack animals like mules and horses can be used to hold baggage or they can pull a carriage filled with extra gear. If the party doesn't have access to as many bags of holding as they want and they do want to bring a ton of stuff with them, they will need some way to move it.

greenstone
2019-06-30, 06:20 PM
…it seems like there would be little reason to buy horses if they aren't faster.
I have relatives who have done cattle herding using horses. They say that riding a horse for an entire day covers about the same amount of distance that you could do on foot, but (1) you can carry more gear on a horse than on your back, and (2) you arrive less tired.

There special cases. River crossing on a horse is a lot easier than on foot, if the horse can swim. If the horse can't (the river is swift, full of rocks) then the crossing is much, much harder.

Overland movement speed rules are simple. "In a day, you move this many hexes on the map. If you go fast, you move more, but are at disadvantage on Wisdom checks to notice things."

Contrast
2019-06-30, 06:38 PM

It is indeed not an errata. But to quote the Sage Advice Compendium:

Official rulings on how to interpret rules are made here in the Sage Advice Compendium