PDA

View Full Version : What Durkon needs Thor to do

Riftwolf
2018-10-19, 08:34 PM
Thors given Durkon a mission. But Durkon needs something from Thor too. Before Redcloak could accept any requests to negotiate, he'd need proof the Northern Pantheons plea is sincere.
Oona mentioned the dwarves chased bugbears far into the frozen wasteland round the North pole. We've also been shown a devotee of Thor fighting a bugbear (not Oona, though possibly same tribe (as Oona mentions the cold resistant fur for the distinctive mask is from Monster Hollow)), recently enough that the devotee knew the current High Priest of Thor.
If the dwarves receive a divine edict to withdraw from the bugbear frontline, maybe even conceding favourable lands to them, it'd go a long way to proving to Redcloak he's got the attention of the Gods, and their willingness to parley isn't an empty gesture.
Thoughts?

Rrmcklin
2018-10-19, 09:26 PM
Besides no one involved thinking of that, they're probably not on a time table that would allow for something like that to take affect, and it's not like Thor is the god of all dwarves anyway.

MesiDoomstalker
2018-10-20, 12:19 AM
Besides no one involved thinking of that, they probably on a time table that would allow for something like that to take affect, and it's not like Thor is the god of all dwarves anyway.

Not to mention RC may not even be fully aware of the Bugbear's situation to notice a difference of a Dwarven concession. And even if he did, how would he know it was a divine mandate from the Northern Pantheon as a good-will gesture?

Riftwolf
2018-10-20, 08:31 AM
Not to mention RC may not even be fully aware of the Bugbear's situation to notice a difference of a Dwarven concession. And even if he did, how would he know it was a divine mandate from the Northern Pantheon as a good-will gesture?

Backed up with a sending from Durkon saying its a divine mandate. I'm just thinking *something* has to happen rather than baseless diplomacy checks; if the Pantheons need TDO on board, then the best way to convince Redcloak the plan's unnecessary is to show the goblins lot improving now.

Besides no one involved thinking of that, they probably on a time table that would allow for something like that to take affect, and it's not like Thor is the god of all dwarves anyway.

Given that Durkon got given the mission all of one strip ago, I think its too soon to say 'no one's thinking of that' instead of 'no one's thought of that yet'. While Thor isn't the sole Dwarflord, he has a lot of influence over dwarven society, as shown by every single time Thor has been mentioned in the comic ever (and I'm 99% sure this isn't hyperbole). His word carries enough weight, especially if other Gods get on board (Odin would be my first choice; while getting Loki to join in would be easier, that would probably work against them when dealing with Dwarves)

Rrmcklin
2018-10-20, 11:38 AM
Thor mentions the Dark One being angry at the gods (and particularly him) for keeping him in the dark about the Snarl and trying to kill him when he first ascended but nothing about the whole "Goblins were created as PC fodder".

So either Thor doesn't consider that an issue, or he doesn't think anything can be done about it now, or he just figures he has bigger things to work with.

And when I said time table I meant the fact that Durkon and the Order will be in a huge rush, dwarven society is apparently very large, and it would probably take time to mobilize this "stop attacking bugbears" order and relay it to the people in question. Among other things.