PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Instruments: Master Dragonlance

Ruethgar
2018-10-20, 02:37 AM
So in a couple different books, Masterwork instruments grant special numeric effects. The Master class of Dragonlance has a method to increase the effects of Masterwork up to five times the original giving examples of +10 skill from a tool or +5 attack on a weapon, but would it also affect instruments? A legendary lute granting +5 effective bardic music levels for example.

Silly Name
2018-10-20, 03:32 AM
Extra bardic music levels seem outside of the Master's capabilities - that stuff is more in the realm on enhancements by casters, rather than an excellent (but still mundane) craftsman.

What a Master Craftsman can do in regards to musical instruments is improving on the normal bonus conferred by masterwork musical instrument, i.e. a bonus to Perform skill checks. A masterwork musical instrument gives a +2 to Perform skill checks involving its use, but a Master Craftsman can double, triple, quadruplicate or quintuplicate said bonus.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-20, 08:07 AM
The master craftsman can create masterwork items that are five times as effective as standard masterwork items [...]

Each of these instruments also provides a special enhancement to bardic music [...] bards get the bardic music benefit only with masterwork versions of the instruments. For each performance with such an instrument, a bard can choose either the special benefit or the +2 bonus on Perform checks that a masterwork instrument ordinarily grants.

I think the Master ability is sufficiently broad that it could be ruled to apply to all bonuses granted by masterwork instruments. Does that mean we get alphorns with 5d10 miles range, and war horns with +5 Inspire Courage? I guess it does. Not that I'd ever use the Dragonlance master, but them's the rules.

Silly Name
2018-10-20, 08:10 AM
Ah, I didn't know that those existed. I guess that then, yes, a Master's knacks could technically multiply the effectiveness of those instruments.

weckar
2018-10-20, 02:48 PM
Such an underappreciated class. Complimentary Scholarship is amazing.

Ruethgar
2018-10-24, 09:36 AM
Awesome. Favorite weapon for TO is the Lute Bow(ruled as a shortbow) Elvencrafted, Bow Bladed, Neck Bladed and quadruple Wand Chambered. Make it Legendary and you can be a mini bard. Set bonuses don’t specify magic items only, so technically the lute could be it’s own set as well and not have a lick of magic while still having magical effects.