PDA

View Full Version : Reflavouring a ranged Ancestral Guardian barbarian as a Shaman-esque spellcaster

pygmybatrider
2018-10-20, 05:14 AM
Hi all,

I've been working on a character concept I thought I'd share with you guys for some input.

I've loved the Ancestral Guardian barbarian since it was released, both thematically and mechanically. There's something so appealing about a raging barb surrounded by angry spirits - who also functions as probably the game's best tank.

I'm also interested in the idea of Ancestral Protectors working at range, with a bow/thrown weapons - again, marking a target to have disadvantage against anyone but you, while doing your darndest to stay of out melee range, is awesome.

To fit the flavour, I've statted up a Dex-based Goblin barbarian. Mechanically he will be sitting at the back, plinking away with a shortbow, and giving the biggest baddy disadvantage on all his buddies.

I'm thinking, however, of reflavouring the barbarian to a sort of spirit-talker/witch/shaman class, and treating the ranged weapon attacks as a basic hex/spell - while still mechanically 1d6 non-magical piercing damage.

Take Perception and Survival from Barb, grab a background with relevant/useful skills - Stealth, Insight, Acrobatics, etc.

Starting stats:

8 Str/17 Dex/16 Con/10 Int/14 Wis/8 Cha.

Take Squat Nimbleness at 4 to bump Dex up to 18, increase movement speed, and two more skills. You have a decent naked AC, nice to hit bonus, and won't be Reckless Attacking - so your beefy hit points should hopefully last a bit longer.

Things just get more fun from there. At level 5 you get Extra Attack (double spells!) and Fast Movement - you now have 45 feet movement speed and Nimble Escape to stay away from the bad guys. At level 6 you get Spirit Shield, which is one of my favourite at-will abilities in 5e. At 8 you can max Dex, go for Crossbow Expert and grab a handcrossbow for more damage, or grab Sharpshooter, or grab Magic Initiate: Cleric or Druid for some handy/flavourful cantrips like Guidance or Druidcraft.

I think it looks decent enough on paper, and easy enough to turn a brutal melee bruiser into a debuff-focused Goblin in robes and a pointy hat.

Are there weaknesses I'm missing here - besides missing out on the Strength-based barbarian abilities, and inability to multiclass? Is there anything else I could add to the build to make it work?

Cheers!

Ox Bacor
2018-10-20, 02:12 PM
I don't see any glaring weaknesses. Look like a blast to play through. You may get some lip from people at the table who tend to play barbarian for wasting their favorite raging moments, but it looks like a great way to play a nontraditional barbarian.