PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Advantage and Solitary Hunting

DrBloodbathMC
2018-10-20, 11:20 AM
I'm working on a super sneaky giant slayer, I found two abilities that allow you to add your favored enemy bonus to hit. I'm thinking they don't stack and obviously GM has final say but I wanted to see what the playground thought.

edit: Thought it might be a good idea to post the wording of the feats

A ranger who loses his faith also loses his most obvious blessing of nature: his animal companion. In return, though, he becomes even more self-reliant.

Level: 1st.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain your animal companion. If you already have an animal companion. it abandons you immediately.
Benefit: Your favored enemy bonus also applies to your attack rolls.

Your studies into your favored enemies' tactics has taught you how to better control the battlefield around them.
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +5, favored enemy.
Region: Select a favored enemy. When fighting a creature of that type you may add your favored enemy bonus on attack rolls and opposed checks made to perform trip, disarm, and bull rush attacks. This bonus applies to opposed checks made against a creature of the chosen type both when you initiate such an at
Benefit: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Instead, each time you take the feat you must choose a different favored enemy type.

Silly Name
2018-10-20, 12:30 PM
There's nothing in the written text that could be read as the two feats not stacking. Tactical Advantage doesn't stack with itself, but says nothing in regard to other sources.

The one point of contention would be whether you add your Favored Enemy bonus once or twice. Myself, I would have it apply only once, with Tactical Advantage letting you add it to things other thank your attack rolls, but having it apply twice is probably a valid interpretation.

Deophaun
2018-10-20, 02:14 PM
Bonuses of the same type don't stack. So, no.

Silly Name
2018-10-20, 02:42 PM
The bonuses from Favored Enemy are untyped, though.

At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

Khedrac
2018-10-21, 02:28 AM
I think what Deophan meant to say is the bonuses from the same source don't stack - you are trying to add the favored enemy bonus twice and no bonus ever stacks with itself.

DrBloodbathMC
2018-10-23, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone! I talked to the dm who will possibly dm for this character and we agreed that A.) it would depend on the party comp so if I’m playing this and a wizard is in the party then sure, with monks then no, and B.) it would stack since it’s only for a specific type of enemy, not across all your favorites enemies which would be too overpowered in our opinion.