PDA

View Full Version : Cyborg race (one of hundreds)

stewstew5
2018-10-20, 03:01 PM
So I'm going to be late-joining a campaign and just wanted to be sure I was't putting to much on the DM on balancing this
(P.s It's a steampunk-y floating islands campaign)

Ability score increases
A cyborg gains +2 to any one stat of their choice and +1 to any other, but can only apply these to their modifier’s vital stats
Base race
A cyborg has a race that they were built from. They don’t get any racial bonuses from this race other than described here.
A cyborg’s age varies greatly depending on the individual. An elf-based cyborg with a chassis modifier could live until they rusted away, while a goblin-based cyborg could die before her tenth birthday
Alignment
A cyborg’s alignment varies just as their age. Some find themselves beholden to their creators while others revolt against.
Size
Your size is that of your base race
Speed
Your speed is that of your base race
Languages
You can speak common and a language available to your base race
Wrought of steel
Your armor class increases by 1.
Modifications
A cyborg gains two modifications of their choice.
Modification: eye
Vital stats: Wisdom & Intelligence
Vital strike
You can sacrifice 20’ of movement to add +2 to your next attack roll’s natural roll, to a maximum of 20. You must spend a turn to be able to use this ability again
Darkvision
As an action on your turn, you can activate or deactivate your darkvision out to 60’ . While it is active, you can see in dim and dark light as though bright and in bright light as though dim.
Modification: arm
Vital stats: Strength & Dexterity
Tough punch
You can deal 1d6 of lethal or non-lethal damage with open hand attacks
Modification: chassis
Vital stats: Constitution
Life support
You are proficient in constitution checks and saving throws. Additionally, you may take advantage on a death saving throw once per rest.
Modification: brain
Vital stats: Intelligence and Wisdom
Clever
You are proficient in intelligence checks and saving throws.
Proficient
You gain proficiency in a skill and two tools or instruments of your choice.
Modification: shell
Vital stats: constitution
Iron skin
While not wearing armor your armor class equals 15 + your Dexterity modifier
Modification: leg
Vital stats: Strength & Dexterity
Quick on the feet
Your movement speed increases by 10’
Spring calves
When performing a long or high jump the distance needed to run is halved, and the distance you can cover is doubled

SunderedWorldDM
2018-10-21, 12:02 PM
I saw a few things that might need clarification/rebalancing.

1) So the Ability Score Increase only works on the vital stats of the two the cyborg chooses? Then if I take chassis and shell, how do I not take a +3 Constitution?
2) Vital Strike seems a little limited in scope. I would say change it to something like Feline Agility, where you only regain the ability after you don't move for a turn. Sacrifice mobility for damage. I like the 'add it to the dice roll' bit, but think about a Champion taking that. At 20th level, on a turn they can use this ability, they have a 1 in 4 chance of a critical (16-20). That's a little much...
3) Various abilities say 'proficiency in X checks and saving throws'. That's an ability that doesn't quite mesh with 5e very well. All Intelligence checks? That's a lot of important skills you're giving your player. So what happens if you have proficiency in Arcana and make the roll? Do you mean checks that don't rely on skills? In addition, handing out saves like that isn't something I've seen very often in races, so I would stay away from it just because I don't know how it balances.
4) Does Iron Skin stack with Wrought of Steel or can you only use one or the other? If I have a Dex of +2 and I have Shell, is my AC 17 or 18?

That's all I see. After clearing up those issues, it should be good to go!

stewstew5
2018-11-21, 11:34 AM
I saw a few things that might need clarification/rebalancing.

1) So the Ability Score Increase only works on the vital stats of the two the cyborg chooses? Then if I take chassis and shell, how do I not take a +3 Constitution?
2) Vital Strike seems a little limited in scope. I would say change it to something like Feline Agility, where you only regain the ability after you don't move for a turn. Sacrifice mobility for damage. I like the 'add it to the dice roll' bit, but think about a Champion taking that. At 20th level, on a turn they can use this ability, they have a 1 in 4 chance of a critical (16-20). That's a little much...
3) Various abilities say 'proficiency in X checks and saving throws'. That's an ability that doesn't quite mesh with 5e very well. All Intelligence checks? That's a lot of important skills you're giving your player. So what happens if you have proficiency in Arcana and make the roll? Do you mean checks that don't rely on skills? In addition, handing out saves like that isn't something I've seen very often in races, so I would stay away from it just because I don't know how it balances.
4) Does Iron Skin stack with Wrought of Steel or can you only use one or the other? If I have a Dex of +2 and I have Shell, is my AC 17 or 18?

That's all I see. After clearing up those issues, it should be good to go!

1) I don't really see the issue here. Is it that +3 CON is too high or is it just clarifying the rule? If so, yes, you would get +3 to CON in that instance
2) I like that, and I see your concerns but will likely not change it. If that's the only issue for and it's a non-phb class at 20th level I don't see it being much of a problem
3) Good catch there, I'm used to homebrewing classes for 3.5e
4) 18. I was worried 15 was a bit much

SunderedWorldDM
2018-11-21, 03:35 PM
1) I don't really see the issue here. Is it that +3 CON is too high or is it just clarifying the rule? If so, yes, you would get +3 to CON in that instance
2) I like that, and I see your concerns but will likely not change it. If that's the only issue for and it's a non-phb class at 20th level I don't see it being much of a problem
3) Good catch there, I'm used to homebrewing classes for 3.5e
4) 18. I was worried 15 was a bit much

I'd stay away from +3s. Maybe just a sentence about not having to ability score increases about the same ability?

Champion is a Fighter archetype, so yes, it's PHB. I would say the +2 should be a bonus, not added to the natural roll, as adding 2 to the natural would affect chances of critical, which may offset balance for martial characters.

For the checks and saves, I think you might have inflated the problem. Giving proficiency in saves isn't a thing races really do, and once again, all Intelligence checks is a bit much. You're still going to have to narrow it down further, I feel.

I would say 13's a much more reasonable number for the Shell.

Also, for the Arm, lethal and non-lethal no longer exist.

stewstew5
2018-11-22, 01:33 AM
I'd stay away from +3s. Maybe just a sentence about not having to ability score increases about the same ability?

Champion is a Fighter archetype, so yes, it's PHB. I would say the +2 should be a bonus, not added to the natural roll, as adding 2 to the natural would affect chances of critical, which may offset balance for martial characters.

For the checks and saves, I think you might have inflated the problem. Giving proficiency in saves isn't a thing races really do, and once again, all Intelligence checks is a bit much. You're still going to have to narrow it down further, I feel.

I would say 13's a much more reasonable number for the Shell.

Also, for the Arm, lethal and non-lethal no longer exist.

I think I'll keep it, the two are designed for tanks and having a +3 CON for your racial bonus isn't a huge problem for that.

I re worded the "official" doc to say intelligence saves and two Int-based skills of your choice.

13 it is

nice catch on that i had no idea

SunderedWorldDM
2018-11-22, 09:56 AM
I think I'll keep it, the two are designed for tanks and having a +3 CON for your racial bonus isn't a huge problem for that.

I re worded the "official" doc to say intelligence saves and two Int-based skills of your choice.

13 it is

nice catch on that i had no idea

Alright! I think that's all the problems I see, you have my sticker of 'it's good enough'!

(Please note I'm a mediocre homebrewer and the sticker counts for next to nothing)