PDA

View Full Version : How can i delete this thread??

stewstew5
2018-10-20, 04:28 PM
not just this one. how do i delete my threads?

DataNinja
2018-10-20, 05:24 PM
To my understanding, there is no way to delete the initial post in a thread on your own. You will need to contact a mod (using the report tool on the initial post) in order to have extraneous threads deleted - though, if you're wanting to delete a thread that's gone on for a long time due to not liking the discussion, that's a different story. I do not believe that they will delete those for you.

Rockphed
2018-10-21, 01:02 AM
First: you can't. Mods can delete threads, though they might just be moving them to the mod-only area of the forum. Threads that are older than some cutoff get deleted automatically, though where the cutoff is depends on which part of the forum they are in.

As hinted at by DataNinja, your options depend on why you want to delete a thread. If you accidentally created a double thread or you realised that your thread is in the wrong place, report the initial post and the mods will move or delete as appropriate. If you just don't like where discussion is going, too bad. Threads, except for threads in the homebrew forum, are not considered owned by their creators and are set free into the wild once created. On the one hand this means that if things go in a direction you don't like you can't do anything about it, but on the other hand, you won't be held responsible if a thread takes a sudden left into a crowd of unsuspecting minors (i.e. if a thread you started starts breaking rules through no fault of your own, it won't be counted against you. If you start a thread that is imminently likely to start breaking rules, on the other hand, you might get reprimanded when it starts breaking rules.) If you think a thread has gone off the rails and is headed for disaster, report the post where you think it started (or a post that is out of bounds if you can't figure out where it started), and include something like "the thread is spiraling out of control, can a mod please help stop the [flaming/attacks/politics/religion/whatever] before the thread is completely unsalvageable". That usually results in a mod doing some scrubbing and throwing a red-text post to "knock [whatever] off".

Finally, if you want to completely expunge your online presence (for whatever reason), send a message to a mod. I am fairly certain that you will need to tell them why and fill out a short form, but they will work with you to clean things up. They might not go along if your reason is stupid, but they are nice people and thus unlikely to laugh in your face. Frankly, I don't know of a reason to want to expunge online presence, so I won't try to come up with stupid or not-stupid reasons to do so. I've seen a couple people ask for expungement in this forum. One just kept griping that Rawhide was making them actually explain what they wanted, which might have ended with Rawhide finally losing it and banning them. The other asked a similar question to this one, and the thread disappeared within a few hours. Presumably they had success in removing their presence.

Roland St. Jude
2018-10-21, 09:35 AM
Sheriff: If the above doesn't answer your question, drop me a PM.