PDA

View Full Version : What are the best classes to play without multi classing?

Spieldog20
2018-10-20, 05:44 PM
I am playing a tabaxi rogue thief in Waterdeep Dragon Heist Adventurers League. We will do Dungeon of the Mad Mage after this.

I am super excited to take my thief all the way to level 20. I think every other player will be multi classing. Since playing through to level 20 is on the table (and how rare is that?!?!), it just got me think about this topic:

What are the best 5e AL legal classes to play without multi classing and why? In a forum dominated by making multiclass builds, I am curious what folks think on single class builds.

Callak_Remier
2018-10-20, 06:49 PM
Wizard - uhhh thee late game class.
Druid - crazy magic
Cleric- crazy magic

Eradis
2018-10-20, 06:55 PM
I hear moon druid is especially good as it becomes virtually invincible with its never ending hp pools.

2D8HP
2018-10-20, 06:58 PM
I enjoy playing Champion Fighters and Swashbuckler Rogues.

They're fun for me to play.

Spieldog20
2018-10-20, 07:47 PM
Seems like Barbarian (+4 to physical stats!) and Monk (all the Ki) would also be super solid.

Stygofthedump
2018-10-20, 08:02 PM
At our table we only allow single class and PHB (for now). So far we have had two modules and we have had: 2 (ass and arcane tricks) rouges, 2 lore bards, 3 barbarians (berserker and 2 totem), war cleric, tome warlock, div wizard, dragon sorcerer, moon Druid, shadow monk. The obvious gap and my personal pick for you is the paladin! Fighter and Barbarian fill similar roles.

Angelalex242
2018-10-20, 08:04 PM
Paladin rocks, and have the capstones to be worth 20 levels.

CTurbo
2018-10-20, 08:08 PM
Paladin
Barbarian
Cleric
Druid

sophontteks
2018-10-20, 08:09 PM
Honestly, they are more likely to shoot themselves in the foot multiclassing. Most straight classes are straight up stronger then multi-class characters until later levels, and even then the benefit is meh in most cases.

The best multiclasses seem to be CHA characters, so I'd avoid charisma just because its going to be filled up.

I would do an Eldritch knight fighter. No one else is going to see three attacks on their characters. EK's become powerhouses around level 10 too. Hitting someone gives you advantage on your spells. It'll make wizards jealous.

NaughtyTiger
2018-10-20, 08:29 PM
Not ranger

furby076
2018-10-20, 10:18 PM
Not ranger

lol

ancients pally
barbarian
wizard
cleric

EvilAnagram
2018-10-20, 10:24 PM
There are honestly very few classes/archetypes that aren't fun playing straight through. If short rests aren't common, warlock would be rough, but that's it.

RSP
2018-10-20, 11:26 PM
Champion fighter is pretty sweet with its regeneration. Wizards are always better single classed. Druids, Clerics, Barbarians would be good. Monk might win in just having so many opportunities to actually use all the fun stuff they get (Shadow for free teleporting through most of the game), plus every battle you get enough Ki to be invisible and resist all damage for a minute.

Eragon123
2018-10-20, 11:31 PM
There are honestly very few classes/archetypes that aren't fun playing straight through. If short rests aren't common, warlock would be rough, but that's it.

I've played a warlock straight and he died at level 11. I was omnipotent and I quickly fell. Quite the heroic death though.

DarkKnightJin
2018-10-21, 01:03 AM
Paladin, Monk, Cleric.

These classes have some good stuff all the way to level 20. For Paladin or Monk I would suggest getting a ranged attack cantrip.
Probably something from the Warlock or Sorcerer list for Pally, and something from the Cleric list for Monk.

Eldritch Knight would also be a fun and tanky class to play.
Having access to the Shield spell is almost cheating if you already have a nice AC from your armor.

As you might've guessed, I have a liking to playing classes that can usually take a bit of a smackdown.

I played Barbarian, but the "Run up to enemy, apply [Heavy weapon] to face, repeat as needed" got kinda boring to me after a while.