PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Knowledge Cleric/Monk (What Archetype?)

Mad Max
2018-10-20, 08:22 PM
Hey all! I'm in a long term campaign inspired by the adventure zone (for reference on the kind of threats we face) so the missions we go on are pretty varied. My current character is a High Elf Fighter (3) Arcane Archer and Wizard (2) Divination school, but I think he's going to take some downtime for RP reasons (a recent quest stirred up some bad memories). The other members of our party (just listing the regulars) are a goblin barbarian, a halfling rogue, an aasimar cleric, two dragonborn fighters and a kobold sorceror. Optimization isn't too big a deal, but I'd like to be decently powerful.

We have a lot of fighters, clearly, so we need some magic, but I'd rather not play a full spellcaster. After a while, I decided on a Monk/Cleric, for mobility (which we lack a lot of), combat ability (so I can keep up with the other warriors) and support magic (because our cleric only has 14 wisdom).

I figured Knowledge would be useful because intelligence is collectively our party dump stat (the only character with good intelligence is the rogue), and our sorceror has no utility spells. Plus, it ties into the plot (our party is headed to a giant library, so I figured a monk on pilgrimage would be a good hook).

My question is, what would be the best monk archetype to fit a Knowledge cleric? And are there any build suggestions you have, like feats, that would benefit this kind of character?

Spieldog20
2018-10-20, 09:26 PM
Matt Mercer's Way of the Cobalt Soul?

thoroughlyS
2018-10-21, 01:10 AM
Way of the Drunken Master has lots of mobility options, if that's what you're going for. Way of the Open Hand gives some useful control options, especially if you're only planning to take a few levels of Monk.

Ranikirn.
2018-10-21, 05:16 AM
Matt Mercer's Way of the Cobalt Soul?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dl0ynvulqx12y3c/Way%20of%20the%20Cobalt%20Soul%20%28update%29.docx ?dl=0