PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Belief, Dedication, Soul, and Worship - is this a reference to something?

rferries
2018-10-21, 12:52 AM
Are the four qualities referencing a subsystem of DnD? The comic title is "That's Jack's Fault" -as in Jack Chick?!

ShadowSandbag
2018-10-21, 12:58 AM
I think "That's Jack's Fault" refers to Thor's comment about being blonde; Jack Kirby was one of the creators of Marvel's Thor comic.

rferries
2018-10-21, 02:35 AM
Oh duh haha, I should have caught that. Thanks!

Linneris
2018-10-21, 03:23 AM
As far as I know, no. It's not standard D&D cosmology.

The idea that a god receives a relatively large one-time boost of power when a mortal dies and is sent to the afterlife, and then smaller but steady supply of power from the soul in the afterlife is something the Giant came up with to explain how Hel's plan would work. He posted this explanation on the forum before. This comic codifies it.

rferries
2018-10-21, 04:11 AM
As far as I know, no. It's not standard D&D cosmology.

The idea that a god receives a relatively large one-time boost of power when a mortal dies and is sent to the afterlife, and then smaller but steady supply of power from the soul in the afterlife is something the Giant came up with to explain how Hel's plan would work. He posted this explanation on the forum before. This comic codifies it.

Righto, and thank you too!

Yanisa
2018-10-21, 08:16 AM
It also seems like the more solid (thought out) and in-comic representation of the many posts The Giant wrote about how the gods gain their power. In particular it explains a bit more about Hel and her schemes. I.E. She will gain a lot of "dedication" power from dwarf souls that died dishonorable if the world is destroyed. Which will make her very powerful compared to the other North Gods, who only have their back up soul energy at that point (as worship and believe are gone without the living).

It also gives a bit more detail to the bet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1083.html).

It's interesting to reread these quotes with this comic in mind.

The Soul Economy
Spirits produce Soul PowerTM in life, which is collected in the afterlife.
2015/08/16

Hel Has No Living Worshippers
"That means literally not one single living person, ever."
2014/09/11

There are more quotes I can remember, but these are the ones I could easily find at The Index of the Giant's Comments (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479555-The-Index-of-the-Giant-s-Comments-VOn-a-Saner-Forum-We-Wouldn-t-Need-this-Index)

Anyhow, it doesn't seem to be based on anything specificly DnD related, more a general explanation of how it could work in a DnD-esque world.