PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed useful gish 2nd-5th level spells

Mike Miller
2018-10-21, 09:02 PM
What are some useful spells in the range of 2nd to 5th level spells for a gish? Specifically, a minotaur greathammer wielding chameleon entry at level 6.

flappeercraft
2018-10-21, 09:15 PM
Wraithstrike makes your melee attacks be touch attacks.

Mighty Wallop increases the damage die of a bludgeoning weapon by 1 size category. It also has a greater version.

heavyfuel
2018-10-21, 09:16 PM
Wraithstrike and Greater Mighty Wallop.

If you can get the hammer to be made out of Bronzewood or similar material, Spikes is a great one.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-21, 10:12 PM
Wraithstrike, as mentioned.
Haste is a mainstay.
Alter self, polymorph, and draconic polymorph.
Greater invisibility.
Bite of the werewolf, -boar and -rat can be quite nice.
Greater magic weapon and greater mage armour.
Bladeweave is useful when Persisted.
Swift fly is good for Persisting.
Create magic tattoo has a solid duration, but a longish casting time. Still good, though.
Freedom of movement and death ward.
Rope trick is always nice to have :smalltongue:.

I pulled most of these from a persistomancer I had written up already, so they aren't sorted for long durations, only for useful effects.

Darrin
2018-10-21, 10:31 PM
Gish spell recommendations. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532726-Beatstick-Build&p=22314198#post22314198)

Mordaedil
2018-10-22, 01:18 AM
I'm kind of partial to Enlarge Weapon for the higher weapon die, Lord of the Sky for the aerial combat ability, and Shatterfloor for making difficult terrain for other fighters.

PhantasyPen
2018-10-22, 08:47 AM
I've got a strange fondness for the Flame Blade spell personally.

Hiro Quester
2018-10-22, 10:02 AM
I'm very fond of Heroics, for granting 10 min/level access to fighter bonus feats. (And you can use one casting to provide the prerequisite for the next casting.

For defense, Blink can be fun, if you like gambling. (Melee attacks at you 50% miss chance, 50% damage from AOE). The downside is that you have a 20% chance of missing your opponents. But the odds are ever in your favor.

Cloud of Knives is both visually awesome (you are surrounded by a cloud of knives that point wherever you look; I think you should get a bonus to intimidate when this spell is active), and effective (free action extra thrown dagger attack each round).

DarkSonic1337
2018-10-23, 08:27 AM
Greater Blink gets rid of your own miss chance and also lets you use a readied action to not be on the same plane when attacked which is neat.

Shadow Conjuration will let you cast create magic tattoo without the material component.

I've got a soft spot for spell flower. On my spelldancer swiftblade it let me do things like hold storm touch all day so I could just kinda throw on an a touch attack save vs Stun for my last attack in an attack routine.

Cloud of Knives is just asking for fell X metamagic shenanigans

Heart of X line. All useful spells either for their main effect or for their discharge effect (looking at you Earth), and with hour/level durations to boot.

As a chameleon I recommend you take a look at ranger and paladin spells, considering that they get certain effects at lower spell slot levels than a cleric or druid would.

bean illus
2018-10-24, 11:44 AM
As a chameleon I recommend you take a look at ranger and paladin spells, considering that they get certain effects at lower spell slot levels than a cleric or druid would.

Cross classing Chameleon spells unlocks an entire level of Power, and is covered in "Chameleon Spellbook" here
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=135.0