PDA

View Full Version : Rope! I need better rope!

Saintheart
2018-10-21, 09:31 PM
So anyway, per Stormwrack the Harpoon (p. 107) comes with 30 feet of rope. Normally if you get it to lodge in an opponent it's an opposed STR check to pull the opponent around the field and whatnot, but I got interested in the situation where someone manages to tie the rope around an immovable object - and what the breaking strain of the rope would be.

The Playground consensus seems to be (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531242-Rope-Tensile-Strength) that breaking rope bonds is a DC 23 check, but are there other RAW materials you can make ropes from that play with these concepts at all? Web spells set up a DC 20 check to break out of spiderweb, but are there any other materials that talk about this sort of thing?

RoboEmperor
2018-10-21, 09:47 PM
Chain. DC26

daremetoidareyo
2018-10-21, 10:16 PM
Deep horizon adventure has desmodu cables dc 32.

).

Desmodu cable (Deep Horizon adventure p.31) is metal, and you can use it for use rope checks.

Cable: This metal cable is thinner, stronger, and
lighter than even silk rope. It is too thin for most creatures
to climb easily (Climb DC 20), but desmodus can
shinny up a cable automatically at their normal climb
speed. The cable has a snap ring at each end so it can be
quickly attached to or detached from a piton, spike, grappling
hook, or other item without a Use Rope check.
The cable has 10 hit points and hardness 5. It can be
burst with a successful Strength check (DC 32). It is
stiff, however, and imposes a –2 circumstance penalty
on Use Rope checks.
Cost: 25 gp; Weight: 2 lb.

Cablespool: This gadget carries 100 feet of cable in an
enclosed reel. The reel is spring-wound and can pull in
all 100 feet of cable in 1 round, pulling with a Strength
score of 16. It can be set to automatically reel or unreel
the cable as the user climbs, or act as a brake, allowing
the user to jump down 100 feet without harm.
Cost: 125 gp (175 with cable); Weight: 2 lb. (6 lb.
with cable).

Is there any way to make the spool out of adamantium, therefor enchant it, turn it into an itelligent magic item, with intelligent magic items being treated as constructs, and thereby making it a suitable candidate for strength buffs?

Darrin
2018-10-21, 10:48 PM
Deep horizon adventure has desmodu cables dc 32.

Earthsilk rope (12 GP, Races of Stone p. 160) isn't quite that strong, but is apparently just as strong as cable: DC 26 to break.

However, chains and cables are made out of metal, and you can add the Dwarvencraft template to those if you like (Races of Stone p. 159). This doesn't increase the break DC per se, but it does make them a little tougher against sundering: +10 HP, +2 hardness, and +2 on saving throws.

...and then there's Riverine (Stormwrack p. 128), which is DC NOPE, unless you're using disintegrate. It's not clear if riverine can be used with flexible materials, but presumably if you can do riverine chainmail, you can do riverine chains. But that all goes back to the unanswerable question with riverine... WTF were the designers smoking when they wrote that up?

Saintheart
2018-10-21, 10:56 PM
But that all goes back to the unanswerable question with riverine... WTF were the designers smoking when they wrote that up?

Same stuff they were smoking when making eggshell grenades. And DMM. And that keen doesn't stack with Improved Critical. And Spellblade Tennis. And Clerics. And Druids. And Wizards. And Caster Supremacy. And on. And on. And on. Not only was it good stuff they were smoking, but they had a lot of it.

RoboEmperor
2018-10-21, 11:40 PM
And DMM.

DMM was conceived intentionally, not in a drug induced haze.
Illumian is a race that gives DMM for free to any spellcaster.
Artificer's metamagic item gives free DMM to wands and staves

So clearly they wanted players to have free metamagic.

Saintheart
2018-10-21, 11:41 PM
DMM was conceived intentionally, not in a drug induced haze.
Illumian is a race that gives DMM for free to any spellcaster.
Artificer's metamagic item gives free DMM to wands and staves

So clearly they wanted players to have free metamagic.

As I was taught and as I continue to say: 3.5 should have been subtitled "Caster Edition".

Palanan
2018-10-22, 11:57 AM
Ahh, the Playground. From silk rope to caster supremacy in 2.5 posts.

:smalltongue:

Sto
2018-10-22, 12:30 PM
Earthsilk rope (12 GP, Races of Stone p. 160) isn't quite that strong, but is apparently just as strong as cable: DC 26 to break.

However, chains and cables are made out of metal, and you can add the Dwarvencraft template to those if you like (Races of Stone p. 159). This doesn't increase the break DC per se, but it does make them a little tougher against sundering: +10 HP, +2 hardness, and +2 on saving throws.

...and then there's Riverine (Stormwrack p. 128), which is DC NOPE, unless you're using disintegrate. It's not clear if riverine can be used with flexible materials, but presumably if you can do riverine chainmail, you can do riverine chains. But that all goes back to the unanswerable question with riverine... WTF were the designers smoking when they wrote that up?

I second Riverine. Nothing is cooler than throwing a water harpoon with a water chain to impale somebody.

I don't remember what the stats on a Troll Gut Rope is, but I do know that it can go from 50 ft to 500 ft with a command word. I think there's something about it losing it's magic too. It's in the Magic Item Compendium if someone else has access to that.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-22, 12:40 PM
I second Riverine. Nothing is cooler than throwing a water harpoon with a water chain to impale somebody.

I don't remember what the stats on a Troll Gut Rope is, but I do know that it can go from 50 ft to 500 ft with a command word. I think there's something about it losing it's magic too. It's in the Magic Item Compendium if someone else has access to that.

Command word to grow from 50 to 350ft, excess length decays after 12 hours. It has a large knot on one end of the rope, if that gets untied or cut apart, the troll guts stop being magical. Costs 500 gp. Doesn't mention a break DC or anything like that.