PDA

View Full Version : Background Points

Kenbert
2007-09-18, 09:10 AM
I have heard of systems / people using a point-buy for backgrounds, but I've never been able to find much about it. It's the sort of thing where if you want to explain why your first level fighter has some uber-powerful +5 Vorpal longsword, you have to expend X points, and if you want to be descended from some lost line of kings, it's another X points, etc. Any idea where I could find more info? I'm trying to balance some character backgrounds, but it's tricky, I thought a numeric system might help me out.

Little help? Many thanks.

Dubie
2007-09-18, 10:17 AM
The old World of Darkness games used to run sort of like that. There was a set number of points (5?) you could spend on certian "Backgrounds". For Example, I could take 1 point in Resources (some source of cash), 2 points in contacts (I know somone who knows someone that can help us out), and 2 points in Mentor. It generaly worked well in combination with a decent backstory. It could be adapted to D&D as well, I suppose...

2 points in "Magic Family Heirloom" (the +1 Goblin Smasher Mace and +1 leather armor my father passed on to meafter...) 1 point in Resources (I get 10 GP/month due to the partial share in the local Tavern) and 2 points in Allies (I know the captian of the guard in Blogginsberg, where our buddy the rouge happend to be busted for pick-pocketing)

Jayabalard
2007-09-18, 10:34 AM
GURPS is a point/skill based system, and being generic is a prime feature, so it may be worthwhile to take a look at it if you're going to create your own for D&D.

You can get an idea of how it works by checking out GURPS Lite (free) (http://e23.sjgames.com/cart.html?add=SJG31-0004). From that link all you have to do is "check out" to get the PDF. Everything from Image and looks (pg6) all the way through quirks represent things that cost points (advantages), or give extra points to spend (disadvantages/quirks).

Kenbert
2007-09-18, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the link! This is probably what I was thinking of, and it should be a big help.