PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Do I need to be a priest to take domain feats from complete champion?

Steide56
2018-10-22, 07:59 AM
I think the title says it all. I'm planning on taking up the travel devotion feat to go with my scout. Do I need to dip one level as a cleric to take this feat as it is part of the travel domain or is it enough to worship one of the traveling deitis?

Sian
2018-10-22, 08:04 AM
You don’t need to be a cleric, but the number of times might be a tad slim unless you either take the feat multiple times, or dip cleric (in which case you’d might as well trade one of your travel domain with travel devotion

Dannir
2018-10-22, 08:12 AM
Devotion feats lack any actual requirement. It's generally expected you'll take domains based on the deity your character follows, but isn't a hard and fast rule. However, as noted by the post preceding mine, without Turn/Rebuke undead, your ability to actually use them will usually be limited to 1/day for each time you take a given feat.

Silly Name
2018-10-22, 08:12 AM
I see this question pop up a lot, and for a time I was pretty unclear on the exact requirements as well (which leads me to wonder if that section is just that poorly written).

Short answer: No. Long answer: If you are a Cleric, you can trade your Domains for the equivalent Domain Feat, but those feats are accessible to anyone who worships a deity with the corresponding domain.

weckar
2018-10-22, 09:21 AM
Actually, there IS a requirement when taking mltiple devotion feats that the chosen domains must all be offered by the same deity.

liquidformat
2018-10-22, 09:29 AM
You guys are missing an important point here, I am away from books right now but in the beginning of the feats section it expressly states one like said above your domain feat choice is restricted to the god you worship. Which can be over come by worshiping concepts instead of gods, so not a hard rule. And the second is that non-clerics can only take one domain feat. So while anyone can take a domain feat only clerics can take more than one, which is limited in choice by your choice of god.

Silly Name
2018-10-22, 09:53 AM
And the second is that non-clerics can only take one domain feat. So while anyone can take a domain feat only clerics can take more than one, which is limited in choice by your choice of god.

Slight correction:
You can select a domain feat at any level. Once you have chosen one, however, you cannot select another unless the second fits thematically with the first. Furthermore, you can never have more than two domain feats (except as specified in Clerics and Domain Feats, below).

In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to three domain feats, but you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed domain. In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat