PDA

View Full Version : Who's "We" in "We only need a drop or so" - 1143

Lord Torath
2018-10-22, 12:16 PM
Thor tells Durkon "We only need a drop or so - one 9th level spell slot should do it" (panel 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1143.html)) to contain the Snarl.

So who do you think Thor's teaming up with here?

In the Northern Pantheon, Loki is an obvious choice. He was the first to see the potential of the Purple quiddity in containing The Snarl. Although Thor doesn't technically need anyone else, Loki might be a good go-between for Tiamat.

In the Western Pantheon, it almost has to be Tiamat, as the rest of the pantheon doesn't really think The Dark One exists is a new color (thanks, D.One!).

In the Southern Pantheon, do we know any of them well enough to know who would be likely to co-operate? It's probably not Rat.

knag
2018-10-22, 12:21 PM
I assumed it was all of the other gods, or at least the ones who voted "yes" at the godsmoot. All the gods have a significant interest in permanently sealing the Snarl, even if they don't think working with the Dark One will work right now. Once he signs up to help, I would think 100% of gods would join in.

woweedd
2018-10-22, 12:21 PM
Thor tells Durkon "We only need a drop or so - one 9th level spell slot should do it" (panel 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1143.html)) to contain the Snarl.

So who do you think Thor's teaming up with here?

In the Northern Pantheon, Loki is an obvious choice. He was the first to see the potential of the Purple quiddity in containing The Snarl. Although Thor doesn't technically need anyone else, Loki might be a good go-between for Tiamat.

In the Western Pantheon, it almost has to be Tiamat, as the rest of the pantheon doesn't really think The Dark One exists.

In the Southern Pantheon, do we know any of them well enough to know who would be likely to co-operate? It's probably not Rat.
I assume he's referring to the Gods as a collective/anyone who would have a vested interest in the world not being destroyed.

Peelee
2018-10-22, 01:33 PM
I assume he's referring to the Gods as a collective/anyone who would have a vested interest in the world not being destroyed.

Replace "world being destroyed" with "Snarl being better contained" and you've got my vote.

D.One
2018-10-22, 01:33 PM
In the Western Pantheon, it almost has to be Tiamat, as the rest of the pantheon doesn't really think The Dark One exists.

For what I've understood, it's not that the others don't believe he exists, it's just that they don't believe he is of another color.

Lord Torath
2018-10-22, 02:35 PM
I assumed it was all of the other gods, or at least the ones who voted "yes" at the godsmoot. All the gods have a significant interest in permanently sealing the Snarl, even if they don't think working with the Dark One will work right now. Once he signs up to help, I would think 100% of gods would join in.Just as a minor correction, the gods who voted "Yes" were the ones who wanted to destroy the world. The ones who voted "No" would possibly be up for a team-up with Thor, Loki, Tiamat, and The Dark One.

I do think it's kinda funny that Minrah thought "The Dark One" was a dumb name, while Thor thought it was totally metal!

martianmister
2018-10-22, 02:39 PM
Everyone. Thor, Loki, Durkon, etc.

factotum
2018-10-22, 02:51 PM
Just as a minor correction, the gods who voted "Yes" were the ones who wanted to destroy the world.

Even those gods don't really *want* to destroy the world, they're just voting to do so because they don't want to see the Snarl escape. If given another option--for example, to seal the rifts with full four-colour quiddity and be free of the constant cycle of destroying and re-creating the world--I'm sure most of them would jump at it. Except Hel, of course, because her bet with Loki and Thor lasts as long as the world does and I'm sure she would be glad to see the back of it, even if she didn't stand to gain enormous amounts of power from its destruction.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-10-23, 10:07 AM
Even those gods don't really *want* to destroy the world, they're just voting to do so because they don't want to see the Snarl escape. If given another option--for example, to seal the rifts with full four-colour quiddity and be free of the constant cycle of destroying and re-creating the world--I'm sure most of them would jump at it. Except Hel, of course, because her bet with Loki and Thor lasts as long as the world does and I'm sure she would be glad to see the back of it, even if she didn't stand to gain enormous amounts of power from its destruction.

And Njord, who is bored and wants to start over. And Fenrir, who is itching at the chance to kill everything. And Surtur, who'd rather it was more grandiose, but still was hoping for a chance to start even a minor Ragnarok.

So quite a few gods seem happy to see this world gone, actually. It is not an irrational position, to be enjoying the chance to start fresh every few thousand years.

Grey Wolf

factotum
2018-10-23, 02:44 PM
I said "most" would jump at it, not all. Hel definitely wouldn't, which is why I brought her up, but the positions of many of the others are not so clear-cut.