PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Do I need to be 2 squares AWAY from the starting position after skirmishing?

Steide56
2018-10-23, 01:25 AM
Another rather specific question I put in the title but I've heard contradicting opinions on this one. When I try to skirmish as a scout does the shortest line from my characters starting position to my characters end position need to be 2 squares or do I just need to move 2 squares before attacking i. E. I could even return to my starting position after moving one square for example?

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-10-23, 02:07 AM
Skirmish (Ex): A scout relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve her defense. She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn. The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the scout's turn. This extra damage increases by 1d6 for every four levels gained above 1st (2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 9th, 4d6 at 13th, and 5d6 at 17th level).

Khedrac
2018-10-23, 02:31 AM
What you are probably missing is the Complete Adventurer errata (available here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata)) which is where the "move at least 10 feet" was clarified to "be at least 10 feet away from your starting position" and thus prohibit the move that returns to the starting position. So yes, you do need to be at least 2 squares away.

Relevant text@

The second sentence of the skirmish class feature should read as follows (new text indicated in red): She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn. The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted.
This update should be made wherever the skirmish ability description is presented (see also pages 31, 56, and 177).
Ha! - I had completely forgotten that the errata blocked mounted skirmish - I wonder how many builds that invalidates?

Steide56
2018-10-23, 03:30 AM
So there needs to be at least a straight line that's 2 squares away from my starting position?

Khedrac
2018-10-23, 05:52 AM
Yes, but it does not need to be a clear line - you just have to be at least 10' away and you can move round an object to achieve this.

Crake
2018-10-23, 06:11 AM
Yes, but it does not need to be a clear line - you just have to be at least 10' away and you can move round an object to achieve this.

Amusingly though, if you were to move 15 feet up and back down around a wall, only to come back around so you're on the opposite side of the wall, just 5 feet away from your starting location, you apparently could not skirmish.

Troacctid
2018-10-23, 10:01 AM
Amusingly though, if you were to move 15 feet up and back down around a wall, only to come back around so you're on the opposite side of the wall, just 5 feet away from your starting location, you apparently could not skirmish.
Probably for the best. Imagine if you had to calculate the length of the parabolic arc of a jump the same way.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-23, 10:15 AM
Probably for the best. Imagine if you had to calculate the length of the parabolic arc of a jump the same way.

You say this as if you don't bring graph-plotting software to D&D night.