PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I can't decide about ENC/ILLU caster

lordorinko
2018-10-23, 03:18 AM
hi everyone;

a long time ago i started a thread to get an idea about the ideal enchanter/illusionist type of caster. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?562167-Mind-breaker-spellcaster-build-help (please check the link if you can) for the reasons that we can't control the game got cancelled before it started. But it will begin in 2 weeks and we area aiming to play a very long campaign. anyways...

Now i can't decide between 2;

-lore bard since he has a large array of spells and shines in social situations.
-sorcerer since he has awesome metamagic skills.

i might also dip into GOO wl for flavor and telepathy.

Important Note: i envision this character almost like Gaunter O' Dimm from witcher series. The guy is always chill always acts like he has the upper (at all times) not a direct combatant but will mess your brain up.

i would like it very much if you guys can help me decide :)

Aett_Thorn
2018-10-23, 05:26 AM
If it’s between Lore Bard and Sorc, i’m going to lean towards Sorc for once. Being able to twin certain spells (either things like Hold Person or Banishment; or offensive buffs like Haste) I think takes the lead for me over the additional skill expertises.

However, if the majority of your campaign will be out of combat, then Lore Bard will likely take the lead in effectiveness.

Keravath
2018-10-23, 08:48 PM
Assuming that both builds will have a 2-3 level warlock dip (hexblade might be mechanically a bit better than goo warlock due to the armor/shield/weapon options plus the shield spell in the spell list ... especially for a bard).

Lore Bard - more skills - expertise - jack of all trades - cutting words - magical secrets
Sorcerer - metamagic - archetype benefits

Both are good. Quickened+regular eldritch+agonizing blast from the sorlock is a strong single target ranged attack plus the character will have a selection of spells but the choice is limited. On the other hand, the bard has more spells and a wider variety due to magical secrets. Cutting words can be awesome at protecting your tanks by turning a hit into a miss or protecting yourself. The bard is also a much better skill monkey with a wider variety of skills and expertise (2 at level3 and 2 more at level 10) ... my bard has expertise in persuasion which goes a long way in social situations.

Nifft
2018-10-23, 08:52 PM
Now i can't decide between 2;

-lore bard since he has a large array of spells and shines in social situations.
-sorcerer since he has awesome metamagic skills.

i might also dip into GOO wl for flavor and telepathy.

Knowledge Cleric also gets telepathy.

And being a know-it-all dedicated to the concept of the All-Knowing, that's basically two excuses to act like a smug git.

Lunali
2018-10-23, 08:56 PM
One big factor to consider is how your DM treats spellcasting out of combat. If it is difficult/impossible to hide the fact that you're casting a spell, subtle spell becomes far more valuable.

lordorinko
2018-10-24, 01:59 AM
One big factor to consider is how your DM treats spellcasting out of combat. If it is difficult/impossible to hide the fact that you're casting a spell, subtle spell becomes far more valuable.

Our DM tries to be as realistic as possible he checks every spell's somatic verbal or material component if i wave hand gestures to someone to cast a charming spell he would definitely get a feeling of what's going on. If there is an arcane knowing npc he might even get the school of the spell by getting a very high arcana check. (we can also do those type of things)